Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 8:53 PM
Subject: IML: (no subject)

Hello-

My 55 Imp has a hard start when hot problem. I am guessing that it might be vapor lock from a small amount of gasoline leaking into the manifold. Carb is always dry after a week or more of non-use and has to be primed-car starts immediately then.

I think I need a new carb-to-manifold gasket-the old one seems hard and compressed. Where can I get one? Is there a supplier left with carb gaskets? Would it help to put a couple layers of aluminum foil under the carb as an insulator? (cut to the shape of the gasket, or course)

A few years ago I was unable to start the car after a local meet. No other old car owner had a six volt car, so had to take a jump start from a 12 volt. It immediately fried my "neutral
safety solenoid" although the engine spun like crazy and started immediately. Couldn't find a replacement. so went with a generic switch that allowed it to start in any gear at all. Not a problem if there owner is aware of the danger and doesn't forget! Anyway, I have found a used switch in a junkyard, but have forgotten how to wire it up! Every combination results in the car starting in any gear,the safety isn't working. Of course, the "new" switch could be also fried (for the same reason!!) but I am hoping it is good, and my memory isn't. Can anyone send me the wiring diagram for this safety switch? I have the shop manual, but it doesn't show the switch-

I haven't taken the car to a meet since-am afraid to shut it off!

                                                                                   Thanks!       TED