RE: IML: 1968 Questions

<<<<<the "dual 440".  Check the 68 brochure posted in the year-by-year.

I've seen the mention of the "Dual 440" option in the brochure, but I did not think that meant anything beyond dual exhaust, which my gold 68 has. It does not have the dual snorkel air cleaner, nor have I ever seen one with that on it.

I remain unconvinced, but I'll be ready to apologize when I see some proof.

that time for at least a few people, a luxury car was considered a car that can

do everything better than the average car, including performance.  This idea was

gradually lost, and in the 80's we had "luxury cars" (including Imperials) that

could barely get out of their own way.

<<<<<D^2

You're making fun of my 81 again, aren't you!

Luxury cars, starting in the teens and even before, almost always had the highest powered engines, but since they were also the heaviest cars on the road, they excelled in high speed running, but not in acceleration.  My 39 Packard 12 had the largest engine made until the crazies of the late 60s (473 Cu in,) and much higher HP rating than any normal car. It could run with modern traffic, but I certainly wouldn't try to beat out a Honda pocket-rocket in a stop-light drag.  That sort of thing developed with the muscle car craze of the 60s, and I think it was not extended to the luxury field until much more recently - like the late 90s.

OK, we'd better take this private before the IMPcops get after us.

Get back to work now!

Dick