The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fuel Gauge & Sender
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

dels56
Posted 2024-05-08 3:09 PM (#635112)
Subject: Fuel Gauge & Sender

Extreme Veteran

I have been messing with my Fuel Sending unit trying to get the gauge to read properly. I have purchased 2 NOS gauges # 1648.830, both measure 50 Ohms across the coils so I am assuming the gauges are not my problem.

The original Sender Unit was completely worn out. The coil was worn through to the ceramic post so no chance of fixing it. I have purchased 2 Sending Units from Vans Auto, One from Mopar Pro and a universal that I don't remember where that piece of junk came from. None of the sending units measure what they are supposed to measure, 73/10 Ohms. The Vans senders measure 55/4.5. They also Stick when the float is near the low level position. I would think the movement of the fuel in the tank would shake the float down as the fuel level goes down. I looked at moving the wand on the shaft but the wand is at the very end of the resistor.

I made sure there was a good ground between the tank and frame with a ground strap that I bolted to the frame and tank.

I dug out the only variable resistor I had in my inventory, a 2 Watt 50 Ohm rotary and connected it series with the gauge. That did not work.

I am hoping someone out there has had a similar issue and a solution.

Attached test connection hook up.

Del

(Fuel Gauge n Sender Bench Test 1020.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Fuel Gauge n Sender Bench Test 1020.jpg (49KB - 11 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Powerflite
Posted 2024-05-08 4:39 PM (#635113 - in reply to #635112)
Subject: Re: Fuel Gauge & Sender

Expert 5K+

If you disconnect your sender wire and attach it to a grounded potentiometer (variable resistor), you can determine
1. Does your gauge work?
2. What resistance range does your gauge want to see from full to empty? (Measure the resistance of the potentiometer at each location.)
3. Then make sure your sender can provide that.

Have you done this? What did you find out from it? Also, make sure your gauge has a good ground or it won't work.

If you want to modify the sending unit's resistance, you can make that work with series & parallel resistors, but the sending unit range MUST be larger than the range expected at the gauge. If you do the math (it's a quadratic equation), you can see why that is required. I would expect you to primarily need more parallel resistance in this case, but if you measure what resistance is required at the gauge, I can calculate the values you will need. Check out this thread for more info.

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=78546

geoffs60
Posted 2024-05-08 4:45 PM (#635114 - in reply to #635112)
Subject: RE: Fuel Gauge & Sender

Veteran

In my experience all after market senders are junk, i have never seen one that works well at all. I only use factory units that work as they should.
Geoff
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)