The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1956 Canadian Dodge Mayfair
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> Members RidesMessage format

carnut56
Posted 2004-03-19 4:56 PM (#2826)
Subject: 1956 Canadian Dodge Mayfair

New User

When I was in college I had a '55 Belvedere and later a '55 Dodge Custom Royal. When I saw this Canadian Dodge Mayfair for sale on EBay, I knew I had to have it. It is basically a Belvedere with a Dodge front clip. Built in Windsor, Ontario for the Canadian market only. 3958 were built in 1956. It is a beautiful survivor and draws a lot of attention here in south central Texas when I enter it in local shows in the "foreign" class!! Bought it from the second owner in Victoria, British Columbia and drove it 2800 miles to my home in San Antonio, Texas.

(1956Dodge.jpg)

(1956 MAYFAIR.jpg)

(1956 MAYFAIR.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1956Dodge.jpg (88KB - 1330 downloads)
Attachments 1956 MAYFAIR.jpg (21KB - 421 downloads)
Attachments 1956 MAYFAIR.jpg (21KB - 281 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2004-03-21 11:50 AM (#2908 - in reply to #2826)
Subject: RE: 1956 Canadian Dodge Mayfair

OK, .... I've been doing FL cars now for 25 years. Can someone explain to me in real terms why a Corporation like Chrysler would spend their time and a whole heap of money making hybrid cars like Mayfairs and Viscounts ? F**d and GM did it too. But what was the point? Why not just sell the product like 95% of all cars sold, and not make up a mix-n-match ? Was it just an inexpensive way to broaden the product line? I have talked to Canadian carnuts who joked that Canucks were not deemed worthy of *real* cars. All jokes aside, what was the real, dollar / bottom line reason to make these cars?
savoyv8
Posted 2004-03-22 5:40 PM (#2963 - in reply to #2908)

Veteran

Dear Doctor, I think many of these cars were just patients that needed transplants. r.e. Mr. Plymouth needs a new face , but all we have is expired Mr. Dodges Head.???? Let's see if it fits. But seriously, I don't have any idea either. I only wrote this because you are a " DOCTOR ". LOL Terry
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2004-03-22 8:36 PM (#2975 - in reply to #2826)

yeah ..... trust me, I'm a doctor!

Mopar went to a lot of trouble in the 50's to integrate their production lines so that parts (particularly body shells) were compatible, and therefore interchangeable. This cut production and tooling costs, but also offered the potential of mixing and matching. Of course, a Dodge nose, while it may bolt straight up on a Plymouth body, would require totally different trim hole alignments and such, thereby making a no-effort interchange not exactly possible .... there were hitches.
I have seen oodles of cars that were built by owners (non-factory) where noses were mismatched to bodies, ... just cuz. Hey, it works, right? What defies my understanding is why a money-driven corporation would go to such lengths to build all these oddball, usually low production cars ???? Just the special literature development and printing costs alone would be staggering, not to mention all the other BS! Why bother? Wouldn't Mexicans buy regular American models?
DeSotohead
Posted 2004-03-23 11:41 AM (#3006 - in reply to #2975)

Board Moderator

I think it came down to the Chrysler Canada desire to show some independence from the US arm of the company. Given the fact that the Dodge brothers got their start in Windsor machine shops, this holds some credence.
I have also worked in my past with the Chrysler Canada guys, and they still show that streak.
Some great things came out of CHRYCO. The "A" poly for one (originally designed up for a Fargo truck engine).
Today the Windsor mafia works on a lot of alternative fuel stuff, as well as being the lead group for the minivan and also the Pacifica models.
So I think that to demonstrate some seperability from the US parent, and with the blessing at the time of that parent, the Chrysler Canada group got to do different line variations from the US. This may have also led to using unique Canadian suppliers for some parts. And resulted in some pretty good-looking hybrid "Plodges" being produced!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)