The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sad Announcement about an FL Member
[Frozen]

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Frozen    Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

safetymike77
Posted 2005-06-29 6:28 PM (#33790 - in reply to #33509)
Subject: RE: Sad Announcement about an FL Member

Expert

Sometimes I wonder if somehow Joe knows that we are all thinking of him and that is what is keeping him going. He will know when he finally is able to wake up. I am glad our thoughts were shared with Betty. When one knows how many people something like this affects, it makes it much more difficult to give up, and they have to be strong to get through this all. Hundreds of shoulders are easier to hold you up than just one.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ray Bell
Posted 2005-06-29 8:01 PM (#33796 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

Steve, if they're getting our messages, please tell them for me...

I'm inspired by their fight, for having heard that they were as badly hurt as they were I feared the worst. But they have shown me once again that the human spirit and the body's dogged determination to survive is something some of us have in spades.

It's reinforced by love, of course, that God-like quality that so many folks tend to leave as an aside in their lives.

But clearly not this couple, for everyone who posts about them and who has met them obviously thinks the world of them and in so doing reflect the love that comes from within them. It must surely be an innate part of their very being and it's helping them to hang on and overcome the torture they're now facing.

Their love is reflected by the way their children are there by their side, and you, Steve, as a close friend moved by their present need.

I'm still 10,000 miles away, but I can see it all clearly from here... there is a strength in love that is indomitable, unstoppable, unshakeable and visible.

One day, when things are again normal for Joe and Betty and Casey and Wendy, the story of these crucial days in their lives will stand as a testimony for the strength of their love.

Others will measure them by it, and they won't come up short.
62chrysler
Posted 2005-06-29 11:38 PM (#33811 - in reply to #33509)

Account Suspended (Steve Hobby Alias)

You guys geep writing and I'm going to run out of paper.

Loud and clear Ray.  Thank you and AMEN

I am hoping the bod doesn't get separated as these two start moving around.  Betty, as of 20 minutes ago, has not seen joe yet, even though she has been protesting.  I can see it in her face.  I think I have DeRosa convinced to see if he can have her at least moved next to him so she can touch him.  The girls and I all agreed that a mirical may happen.  DeRosa said he will try to do it around 8:30.  She's due to be flown to New York at 11.  We all plan to be there.  I have a funny feeling, there will be a response.

Never in my life, and I've seen some pretty bad ones in my day, have I EVER seen two people battered so badly and defieing (SP) everything the doctors are saying.  It's pitiful to look at a woman that is younger in spirit than anyone I ever knew.  She lays there, she want's to cry, but can't.  She now knows the extent of Joes injuries and shows the torment of not being at his side.  She still can't talk, legs are responsive, but won't move, right arm is re-constructed, no movement in her right fingers.  She is a beautiful woman, physically and mentally.  My heart is broken to see here.  The image will haunt me for many years to come.

Thanks Guys.  Keep up the good work.  Now I get to print this for tomorrow.

Peace be with you all.

Kenny J.
Posted 2005-06-29 11:55 PM (#33816 - in reply to #33811)

Inactive by user's request

Since we opened our trauma center in 1990, I can recall three people WALKING out of our hospital months after physicians had determined they would be either a para, a quad or brain dead. Miracles happen more often than many of us realize. The power of the human mind, when a person determines that he/she will overcome the odds, can be awesome. The power of the Lord goes without saying. A prayerful person of true faith can overcome anything written in a medical journal...with the Lord's help.

K.
alumcanTandThd
Posted 2005-06-30 8:19 AM (#33836 - in reply to #33509)

Wise Old Village Idiot

Steve, next time your in to see Joie and Betty, I guess,,,,,,, say something from me,,,,,, OK? Thanks.
60 dart
Posted 2005-06-30 11:43 AM (#33857 - in reply to #33509)

Expert 5K+

i just received an email from STEVE stating that things are progressing with JOE AND BETTY in a favorable manor and asked me to pass it on------so here is the email as i received it---------------PLEASE KEEP THE PRAYERS GOING FOLKS--------------later

Finally got some sleep

The funny part is I collapsed in a lawn chair and it rained on me all night. (5 hours) I awoke around 5 totally soaked in a down pour. Went inside, stripped and went to bed until 7:30. I got up, beard and all and ran to the hospital to see how things were going.

8:15 Betty was rolled into Joes room next to him. The two beds were side by side with all the crap hanging off each other. Betty, under her own steam, reached out and took hold of his hand. He responded with 2 squeezes back.

Everyone, including the two doctors and nurses broke out in tears. The girls and I were blubbering through the whole ordeal. I guess I had some time to fill up the tear ducts because it was soaking my shirt I cried so hard.

Dr. DeRosa said with the results he just saw, he is convinced Joe will pull through. He said Joe is so drugged up that he should not have done that. By God, we have a miracle.

I think I can go back to bed and get some rest. I am confident this guy is going to live, no matter what. Wendy and Casey have gone home too for some sleep. They're in worse shape than I am. Rightfully so

Gotta' go. In between all this, I am trying to move a company too.
forwardlookparts
Posted 2005-06-30 12:15 PM (#33860 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

Thanks Chuck...
MOPAR-TO-YA
Posted 2005-06-30 1:28 PM (#33863 - in reply to #33509)

Expert 5K+

Praise the LORD!!!!
bigfinmopar
Posted 2005-06-30 1:51 PM (#33865 - in reply to #33509)

Regular

Excellent news! Hang in there Chuck,You are a true brother!!
Lancer Mike
Posted 2005-06-30 2:47 PM (#33868 - in reply to #33865)

That is the most powerful thread I have read on this website or any other. I'm sitting in my office in Denver crying for these wonderful people I've never met. God bless them both, their daughters and Steve. I wish them both well!
62chrysler
Posted 2005-06-30 5:20 PM (#33877 - in reply to #33509)

Thanks for the favor Chuck.

In and out of here.

Joe is stable, but still out.  They have been doing 1/2 hour surgery sessions restoring the blood vessels that were shunted together.  I did notice some color coming back to his skin today.  He was ashen white since Sunday.  It's either he is revitalized with the connection with his wife, or they just fixed something.  He is very cold to the touch.  That concerns me.  I touched his hand today and talked to him.  I told him about how we as a group have pulled together and of all the prayers you all have been doing.  He moved his pinky on his right hand for me.  Trust me, DeRosa was right.  He KNOWS!  He knows Betty is alive, he knows we are there, he knows you are all pushing for him to stay with us.  When this is all over, I'll have to set up his PC so he can use it while he is in rehab.  I'll bet he has something to say to all of you.

Joe is a funny sort of guy when it comes to people.  He doesn't let too many in.  He has no family left other than his wife and kids.  Not too many know him from FL because he doesn't say much.  He enters the chat room and yaks with Mike and the boys, I often bust his butt whne he is there.  I can hit him with a stone from here.  He hasn't logged into FL in months.  But he visits daily.  He just doesn't say much.  I busted his butt big time over the "LARS" thing he did.  (You old timers remember that one)  It was a practicle joke on all of us, done right here on my PC under my nose.  He is a practicle joker that's for sure.  He and Betty often would throw buckets of water at me, on me Betty dumps them down the back of my shirt on hot nights.  I got used to having empty pockets.  They would push me into the pool, and that's just the summer stuff.  How about Joe, sneaking into my bed room and putting sand paper inside my clean underware.  That one was a real killer.  Not to mention a little tough on the ol'. . . . .

It's a miracle he didn't bleed to death.  My hats off to the quick thinking Paramedics with starting plasma stat before doing anything else.  As I understand it, they were having Pizza a 1/4 mile away and actually heard the impact.  They stuffed their lunch and headed for the wagon, waiting to make a right or a left from the parking lot.  Their response time was 45  seconds.  Fortunately, the hospital is only three miles from the scene and land transportation was the fastest choice.  It's apparent everyone was prepared for this as the rescue unfolded.  The good old days it brings back for me.

Betty is in New York, I won't be seeing her for a few days.  Wendy and Casey explained what was going on with me.  The decision to stay here with Joe and they stay with Mom was sound.  She seems to understand.  The purpose of this surgery is to try to restor her motor functions.  Here she is said to have a 1 in 10 chance of full recovery.  Her surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning, then it's wait and see from there.  If her body responds she may be back here as soon as Sunday to recover.  Wait and see.

That's it for now.  I'll send an email to Spanky to have him do a "Can Man" for me or drop you another line as I know more.  I will be a bit scarce for the weekend.

Ray Bell
Posted 2005-06-30 7:56 PM (#33887 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

Those doctors sure seem to be earning their keep here... and good on them...

A couple of months ago I interviewed a guy and during the course of our time together he revealed that he had nearly been killed in a trotting horse race just six or seven weeks earlier.

They had airlifted him to Sydney... about 200 miles... and worked on him there, first of all opening up the top of his head to put his brains back in, then slicing his face off and peeling it back to reconstruct the bones that should have been keeping it all in place.

It was a touch and go thing... the doctors admitted that they wouldn't have tried it on someone younger because the risk was so great. Better to let them die!

But now that they've succeeded with this 70+ year old, they're prepared to try similar things with younger people... in other words he was a guinea pig and his result will mean that other lives will be saved in the future.

He also told of his experience in the ward... he said to me, "People just don't talk to people any more... I noticed that the nurses would come in and they would only be spoken to if they asked a question. People would be in and out of the ward and nobody would say anything to them."

So he tried something... "So when the girl came in to mop the floor, around and under the beds, as she got near me I said, 'good morning, how are you today?' and she talked to me for a while. And when a nurse did the rounds checking on everybody, I said, 'Hello, are you having a nice time today?' and she talked to me. And so on... and pretty soon anyone who came into that room to do anything came to my bed first."

Just an old country guy, wrapped up in trotters for all of his life, and here, just six or seven weeks after this horrendous race fall, after getting trampled in the face by a horse, he was cohesive as anything, philosophical and educational, grateful for all the doctors and his family did... and he looked younger. The wrinkles in his skin ended at his neck. The skin over his face had been pulled tighter in the operation and he looked much younger!

Rambling, perhaps, but the fact is that doctors are learning more all the time. You would have seen that, Steve, as a paramedic. They have better gear, more information, more experience, and it's great to see it being put to good use.
59savoy
Posted 2005-06-30 10:19 PM (#33894 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

i've been away at work. what a powerful, amazing thread!!!

i thank God for his miracles, and for the wonderful people here like steve and the rest of you. we are blessed to have a place like this.

please have a safe and happy 4th of july!
RoyalGate
Posted 2005-07-01 1:32 AM (#33915 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

Steve, Reading all of these replys and your up dates, I'm getting a little concerned about you.
It doesn't sound as if you are getting any sleep or very little and I'd bet you aren't eatng much
either. It won't do Joe and Betty a bit of good if you get sick and end up in a bed next to them.
You might want to keep an eye on their kids too and make sure they take care of themselves as well.

I went through something like this with my wife and I had to force myself to leave and go get some sleep
and food. It won't do them a bit of good to finally open their eyes and see you sitting there beside them
looking like s--t.

Kelly
Posted 2005-07-02 3:11 AM (#33963 - in reply to #33509)

Veteran

My thoughts and prayers go out to Joe and Betty, and to Steve as well. Its incidents like these that really makes one realize how finite and insignifigant their existence really is in the grand scheme of things. Steve, hang in there man!
62chrysler
Posted 2005-07-02 9:44 PM (#34007 - in reply to #33509)

No News is good news.

As I understand it Betty is doing fine.  Here motor functions are greatly improved.  At the same time, they did some extensive facial reconstruction.  I didn't know how bad it was.

Joe is still in la la land.  He is going to be waken tomorrow.  The girls are staying in New York with Mom at present and will try to be there.  I was asked to be sure I be there for the event.  You betchya I will.  I'll even shower.

I called DeRosa on his cell phone today, he's off this weekend and someone is covering.  He noted that since they put the two of them together, he has seen a trickle of improvements in Joe.  He admitted that he has never seen anyone in this condition survive.  Doc said he should have died last Sunday Night.  I mentioned to him to check the chart, as I update the pages every day.  He noted that he reads the new stuff, praising the Forward Look Clan for their concerns, efforts, and prayers.  He also said, "You guys must be some sort of special bunch".  In spite of all our squabbles, dickering, bad senses of humor and so on, HE'S RIGHT!  You people are special!!!  Let's see the Chebby clubs or the 300 Club, or the Imperial Clubs respond like this.

When the new Forum started, it seems to me, (Supported by Kenny, Can Man, Daven, and of coarse Chuckster) I said this new forum will bring us closer together.  Since I have mentioned that we are a family. (And fight like one too)  Well you fellow Members are a family.  I am proud to be in association with you all.

Now that DeRosa has come to reality. . . . There are still good people in this world, He went to West Orange, NJ today to look at a 56 Desoto a friend of mine has.  Don't know if he bought it, but he did say he was going to take it to Hibernia Auto Restoration to make it "New".  There goes another $100,000.  Chalk up another new Member

Thanks everyone.  I'll give you an update tomorrow night.  Tad busy here.

Kenny J.
Posted 2005-07-02 10:14 PM (#34014 - in reply to #33509)

Inactive by user's request

A good physician NEVER underestimates the power of both prayer and love.

To be fair, most of the people over at "C-h-e-v-y Talk" are like a large family and help each other out in the same manner as the Forward Look family.

Other than a few snooty people (regular "Joes" like most of us who put on a "airs" because they own a thirty nine year old luxury car), the "On Line Imperial Club" family is a great bunch who are very supportive of each other.

Steve, are you saying Joe was LARS all along? Or was he the "Second Coming of Lars"? Glad to read that things are going better than the medical staff could imagine!:)

K.

Edited by Kenny J. 2005-07-02 10:15 PM
safetymike77
Posted 2005-07-02 10:18 PM (#34016 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

If he did buy it, that will be one we should convince to come to Tulsa when that car is unearthed. We should try to do something special for Joe, Betty and the Doc. Good work he's done there. Just to give Joe this long was a miracle, but to convert the good doc to a Forward Looker, well, maybe it was all fate! As sad as it sounds, There was some reason this had to happen, who knows why, and maybe we never will. Lord knows, maybe it will help some of us restore our faith in some things that we had long forgotten, or tried to anyway. Here's to good docs, good friends, and a good measure of hope.
Snotty
Posted 2005-07-03 2:47 AM (#34030 - in reply to #33509)

Brother Steve. The Lord is using you in the midst of this tragity. You will be in my prayers for strength, as well as will be Joe, Betty, and their two daughters.

Thanks for sending me this thread.

Scott
56windsr
Posted 2005-07-03 8:36 AM (#34040 - in reply to #33509)

Regular

Steve, Not to take away from Betty, Joe, or the girls, how is everyone else that was involved the collision?
gunzilla
Posted 2005-07-03 11:58 AM (#34045 - in reply to #33509)

Regular

This is just awful to read, and it seems to be a miracle that they are doing so well. I have never met any of you face to face, but I had hoped to in Tulsa. Reading all of this I can see how much this situation wears on you all, and Joe and betty will be in our prayers here. I would like to meet them someday.
62chrysler
Posted 2005-07-03 6:21 PM (#34079 - in reply to #33509)

All I can say is . . .It was so exciting to see Joes eyes flutter open. 

It took a bit of time for him to adjust to the dim light.  Couldn't say much as he has that darned feeding tube down his throat, and a breathing shunt in his neck.  He was confused, quite dis-orentated.  He had a look of dispare on his face. . .  Wendy came over from the city arriving some half hour after he awoke.  He is obviously in a great deal of pain.  After about an hour or so, he began to start moving his arms and hands alittle.  He squeezed both our hands with a grateful grip.  He didn't seem to want to let go of either one of us. 

Wendy and I took the task of telling him of Bettys fate. . . . He appeared relieved that she has a good shot at being OK over all.  Gave him a pad and some crayons to see if he could write a little to comunicate.  That would at least relieve him of some frustration.  He managed to scribble out "I lov u" and on another piece of paper, "bety com son?"  At least that what we think he said.  Later he discovered he could croak out sounds, but they didn't make any sense.  We called Casey on the Cell (Hospital says that's a no no- - we did it anyway).  He croaked out a few faint sounds to her and then to Betty.  Once again we dumped a pint in tears, but this tiime in Joy for his success.

I don't know what Betty said, but there was an exchange of grunts and growns from both sides.  When the call was completed, he had a look of content in his face.  After a week, he looks like it might be Joe under all those cuts and black and blue marks.  The swelling on his face has gone down considerably.

It's been exactly seven days since the accident happened. . . . . We have poured ourselves to the lord asking for their lives to be spared.  I have to admit, it was a good idea I started this thread.  Each and everyone of us can stand back and be proud to say we did something good.

A special thanks to Snotty.  Snotty and I go back a ways, I bought a car from him 2 years ago and we have become close friends as a result.  For those of you that don't know him, he is a Methodist Minister In Wasco, California.  I sent him the link yesterday, he was on vacation.  I know he was back at the pulpit today and I am sure his congragation knows all about it by now.  Snotty!  Please ask the Lord to find another messenger or ask him to check my schedule first next time!  LOL   He HAS given me enough power to endure.

Someone asked how the other victims were.  The driver of the first truck, the one that hit Joe head on, died on Tuesday of multiple head and chest wounds.  He was hit in the face with a 59 Saratoga as it went airborne on the second impact from the rear.  The body was separated from the frame.  The second driver was uninjured.

I went over to the yard yesterday to see if I could look at the Saratoga again.  It too was impounded and moved to the Police Impound yard.  I can't get in there and it's a 10 foot shielded fence.  I couldn't see the car there, it may be in the garage.  I did see a mangled 383 and a 466 trans though.  Tail shaft is gone, right exhaust manifold is half there, valve cover is gone, throttle body We put EFI in the car 2 years ago, was sheered right off the intake, distributor is folded back, oil pan is flat- - sump is non existant, and the water pump and A/C compressor is gone.  Looks like a fan blade imbedded itself into the right valve cover.

That's it for now. . . .   I'll try to get some pics of the car for you as soon as I find a local to let me in the police garage.  This is  routine for a death by auto incident.

forwardlookparts
Posted 2005-07-03 9:09 PM (#34095 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

Thanks again, Steve. (Obviuosly) That's too bad about the truck driver that ended up with Joe's car in his lap, we should all be praying for his family as well.

Almost two thousand hits for any ONE of our threads would probably be a record. We are close to that in less than a week with this one, but it really doesn't surprise me; we are all very concerned and care very much. It just goes to show you how little control we can have in our lives and that we must trust in our higher power.
Knighty
Posted 2005-07-03 9:10 PM (#34096 - in reply to #33509)

Extreme Veteran

Steve,

I can't write the words my brain is thinking but you are a top guy.
I'm sure the family and friends appreciate all the assitance you have been for them.
not sure what i'm trying to say, Just THANKS!

knighty

p.s. Haven't visited for a while and know cant stop reading this post
it truly is an amazing story of family / friends and life!

rdtrpr
Posted 2005-07-03 10:56 PM (#34101 - in reply to #33509)

Regular

Steve,

Really great news you just posted. I've followed this
story all week, and sent out my positive thoughts and wishes
every day to all those involved.
You are one in ten million. Thanks.
Fins59
Posted 2005-07-04 10:34 AM (#34129 - in reply to #33509)

Veteran

Man, oh man, came in late on this one. Been off line for a couple weeks. I don't tear up too often but after reading all these posts.......Maybe my belated prayers will help. Steve's got to be a special friend and person.
62chrysler
Posted 2005-07-04 11:01 AM (#34130 - in reply to #33509)

Thanks Guys

Crashed last yesterday eve and never logged off. . .  ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I have recieved several emails regarding setting up a donation fund.  Thank you to all.  But, please don't do anything for them just yet.  I need to discuss this with the family first.  It will be a while before I can get everyone together.  But I don't think money is a problem or a big concern.  Besides knowing them, they are liable to deny the contributions.  Stubborn bunch. . . .

About the only donation, well not really, will be to sell Joe my Saratoga.  What the hay!  He helped with half the car anyway.  Right now it's in the body shop, but won't be ready for a year.  That time table will probably work.  He got a letter from the truckers insurance company yesterday.  They are trying to settle the car for $500.00.  Yeah that's right, FIVE HUNDRED!  That was quick. . . More like $25,000 is more like it, as that is what My Sara will cost when it's done.  FYI, I sell my Sara to Joe, and I will be finless.  I'll be banished.

I haven't been to the hospital yet. . . . .  Took a video of the fireworks last night to play for Joe on my laptop.

Since I will not be at Carlisle, now for two reasons, I wish you all a great time there.  Hang a picture of me up next to Jessica Pooh Hoo.  The mind is there, but the spirit has to stay here and take care of business.

I just realized, I don't even have a picture of these two. . . .  I guess that's what happens when you see them every day

Jessica Hendricks
Posted 2005-07-04 12:24 PM (#34133 - in reply to #33509)

We're all family.. BUT I REFUSE TO BE THE RED-HEADED STEPCHILD!

hehehe... pooh you'll be there in spirit too. I purchased a few "get well soon" cards for us all to sign at the tent. I'll mail them to you after the show so you can give them to Joe, Betty, and the girls.

I was sick over the weekend and am putting a 1/2 day in at work. Eager to read updates on this thread (since i only have internet access at work right now).

Hope you all had a good 4th. See some of you back on here this week.. see the rest of you at carlisle this weekend

Jessica
ggcairns
Posted 2005-07-04 1:44 PM (#34141 - in reply to #33509)

Steve,

My thoughts are with you and Joe, Betty and the kids. I don't personally know any of you, but it brought tears to my eyes when I read what happened and what is going on right now. I've been praying every night for you guys.

If there's anything we can do to help, please let us know.

Gwen Cairns
kcasey
Posted 2005-07-05 12:29 AM (#34183 - in reply to #33509)

Veteran

sorry you won't make it to carlisle steve. i was really looking forward to meeting you in person. me and my pregnant wife are making this our last big trip before the baby gets here " do oct. 30th." i said it before and i will say it again. your a good man. we will keep up the prayers and make an effort to see you another time.
kevin
hoe-c
Posted 2005-07-05 8:59 AM (#34204 - in reply to #33509)

Veteran

I'm reading all the story just today I was on vacation.
I'm 6000km far but my heart is there.
I hope things will be going better and better.
Christian
Bryan1960Windsor
Posted 2005-07-05 6:17 PM (#34238 - in reply to #33509)

Elite Veteran

Breaks my heart to read this thread. My heart and prayers go out to all whose lives are touched here.

Bryan
JERSEYBOB
Posted 2005-07-05 10:52 PM (#34282 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

I have been so busy that I havent signed on for a couple days. The only reason I NEEDED to get back here was to see how Joe and Betty are doing. I just wanted to confirm that we brought them to our Pastors attention on Sunday and the whole congregation prayed as one for them and their families. As you all know by now; never underestimate the power of prayer. Steve, sorry your not gonna make Carlisle. Understandably so, first things first. We'll have to catch up somewhere else.
62chrysler
Posted 2005-07-06 1:16 AM (#34294 - in reply to #33509)

Just a quick note

Betty seems to be doing better. . . She is struggling, I haven't see her since Friday.  She's in New York where she got more brain surgery done.  Supposed to be back Thursday this week.  I talk to her 6 or 7 times a day.  She desprately wants to be at Joes side right now.  Better make it soon

Joe is in and out. . . He seems to be going backwards.  He is getting more surgery in the morning.  His liver seems to be doing OK, it will be two weeks before they know for sure.  His kidneys are still not functioning right yet, they are trying to seek the problem.  He seems to be going down hill for some reason.  He knows that Betty is doing OK, but can't stay awake for more than a minute or two.  His vitals are waivering in a downward fashion.  Dr. DeRosa is starting to worry.  As I said before, these two have been joined by the hip for 30 years.  DeRosa and I are trying to get Betty back here sooner.  He's been running into a stone wall in NYC.  But he isn't her primary doctor either.  Her primary is also in the ring with us.  It worked a mirical before, we need it again right now.  I try to talk to him, but he doesn't seem to be responding.  His grip on my hand is weaker than ever.  Right now, things don't look that good for him.

I'll keep you posted.

chrycopsycho
Posted 2005-07-06 2:48 AM (#34297 - in reply to #34294)

Expert

Joe,

You're going to get better,betty and all of us are pulling for you.I send you lots of fwdlk healing and strength from Canada. Strengthen that grip and resolve and come back to all of us,especially your family. Steve needs an upstanding type like yourself to keep him in line. Two semis were not enough to take a special person like yourself!

bigfinmopar
Posted 2005-07-06 8:44 AM (#34301 - in reply to #33509)

Regular

WOW! Very sad to hear that Joe is declining. I think with all the prayers(even prayers from as far as Canada& Austrailia-AWESOME) The good lord will see what these two mean to each other,and others. I too pray for a miraculas recovery. This is a real tear jerker. I truly hope and pray for the absolute best...I too have been in a bad wreck,and well understand the road to recovery after, Very slow and PAINFUL.Sometimes it seems you go downhill before you make the gradual climb upward to better health. I hope Joe looks a the light and asks the lord to let him continue his duty here on earth for a while longer. May God be with them and also with the folks that are trying so hard to help,also the people with their prayers!! Take care all.. Mike-bigfin.............................................................................
58 DESOTOS RULE
Posted 2005-07-06 5:02 PM (#34327 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

Any news on Joe today? I continue to pray for him and Betty and it's saddening to hear that he is still struggling.

safetymike77
Posted 2005-07-06 11:19 PM (#34348 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

Tell Joe that if he pulls through, he can razz on me anytime, anywhere. That is something that will never be taken for granted, and I greatly miss it. The chemistry you and Joe had made some fun times that I hope to get to experience more of someday, though he will likely type slower than ever! But that is ok. Joe is a great guy,a nd we miss him and care for him alot, so he just has to get better. There are too many pulling for him to see him slide. I just hope he manages the strength to pull himself back. We love ya buddy. Hang in there.

you too steve.
Lancer Mike
Posted 2005-07-07 2:48 PM (#34405 - in reply to #34348)
Subject: RE: Pull Through, Joe!

No more sad announcements. I'm praying for your return to good health, Joe. I wish I could do more. You have come this far, you can make it! It sounds like Betty is out of the woods, thank Goodness. If you want Steve, I can call Betty's hospital and ask to have her transfered to Joe's hospital. I'm just a regular schmuck, so it won't do any good, but if we all call...

Just give me the names and numbers and I'll do it.
62chrysler
Posted 2005-07-07 5:03 PM (#34410 - in reply to #33509)

Sorry, I have been too depressed to do this, but I guess I owe you members a update.  BTW  Thanks for all the input here.  I still print the updated pages and take them to Joe and read them aloud.

As of last night, and a few members on the chat were aware of this, Joe had fallen back to the propably won't survive list.  He's still on it at this time.  But is still with us.

Betty was flown in, arriving here around 11:15 this morning.  She was rushed to Joes side as we demanded.  (Half the hospital staff was waiting for the Medivac to land)  The two were brought side by side where she was able to touch Joe again.  Joe had more surgery yesterday and is pretty well drugged up.  Very little response from him, but the monitors did bump up in activity.  He now has Betty at his side in the same room.  (God help the administrator if he tries to interfere, it violates all the hospital rules) When I left a few hours ago, she was yacking away a mile a minute about good things, spurring on things he loved to do and their common interests.  Betty is fully aware he might not make it.  Being a Psycoligist, she knows how to do it and is working her years of experience overtime on him. 

Betty is not mobile, but has enough useage of her left arm to be able to do simple tasks like wash his face with a cloth and massage his fingers.  She is on Joes left side, and facing him. (Her bed is backwards in the room)  She is ignoring he own wounds and problems for the time being.  Except for some physical theropy she will stay at his side for the next few days I am assured.  Otherwise she has been moved to the gaurded list.  She can't chew anything, swearing at the goo they are feeding here.  Wants me to go to our favorite burger joint and get her the works.  We spoke loud enough for Joe to hear, pretending he was in the conversation.  A private nurse in with both of them now.  He needs constant care

Betty has 95% of her motor functions restored.  This is a result of the Brain Surgery in NYC.  Her face is disfigured but has had the facial bone structure reconstructed already.  It's up to Leone (The Plastic Surgeon) from here on.  Her right arm is still imobilized, and her fingers are working (That's the 5% missing).  They expect almost a full recovery for the arm, she'll loose about 20% of the useage.  The girls are looking for a recent picture for the plastic surgeon, Betty is a beautiful woman for her age (Beautiful in very many ways) . . .   I think I said, she looked 20 even though she is 48.  I enjoy here devilish behaivior, always pulling some harmless prank on me.  Right now I miss that.  Last several stunts she pulled would be a beach bucket full of pool water dumped down my shirt.  It was fun.

I couldn't stay for any more.  This is getting harder and harder for me.  Falling into a hole.  But still optomistic.

61plymy
Posted 2005-07-07 5:14 PM (#34413 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

Steve,

Just getting them together in the same place again will go a long way, I hope. They feed off each other, obviously, and this needs to be exploited for Joe's sake.

My prayers go out each morning and evening for these two. I find myself checking the board often looking for new info. Even though we all may not know them or have met them, we still feel a kinship and want the best outcome possible here.

Joe, you need to get better and buy Steve's car 'cause you know he cut corners somewhere in his resto job and someone is going to have to do the job right. It might as well be you, Joe.

You can do it, just listen to Betty and Steve.

Mike

Edited by 61plymy 2005-07-07 5:17 PM
62chrysler
Posted 2005-07-07 5:21 PM (#34415 - in reply to #33509)

LOL  Mike  He was the one that was trying to cut corners when he helped me put the chassis together.  But like we have all said here, "It's my car Putz!  My Money!  I will do the job right!!  He always agreed with me anyway. . . .

Basically I put allot of money into that car where it counted.  Even new body bushings.  He's getting a new car for cryin out loud!  Well that's OK, he's be able to drive it for years before he has to mess with it again.  This one will even have swivel seets.  I think he'll need that.

Corner cutting  HA! :)

forwardlookparts
Posted 2005-07-07 5:55 PM (#34419 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

Steve, I've basically been sitting back quietly the last ten days, checking this thread every half hour if I have computer access, saying my prayers for all involved. My heart really dropped on your last report and I feel sick to my stomach. I know things are going to happen the way they are intended to be, and no matter what the outcome, it will be a good thing. I hope that makes sense, but there is a plan for all of us. Give my best to Joe and family and please, please, PLEASE, take care of yourself!

Best Regards,
Doug
Ray Bell
Posted 2005-07-07 7:02 PM (#34424 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

Ecclesiastes 9:11: "I looked again throughout the earth and saw that the swiftest does not always win the race nor the strongest win the battle; that wise men are often poor and skilled men are not always famous, but that time and chance are over all of them."

What this means is that we are not fated to a certain course, that there is no predestination. We might not be in control of our lives, but then we might. We might see no way out, but there might be. The light at the end of the tunnel might be an oncoming train or it might be a beautiful day.

That the wisest man who ever lived, King Solomon, could write this shows how true it is. He was a king who saw much, who had other kings come to him and made decisions based on that God-given wisdom that he gained because he asked not for power or riches. Just wisdom.

What does this mean to Joe and Betty? And us?

That our lives' courses are not written, that we can all pull through if we have the strength and determination. So it's a matter of keeping up that strength and being determined and recognising that we're able to do it if we keep on trying. Maybe we will lose out in the end... but we'll be valiant in defeat and nobody will be able to say we didn't try.

Again I'm reminded of the great message of love that this thread beams out. The love that surrounds people can give them strength and will. Keep it up, please...

I'm going to be off the computer for a few days. It's all up to Joe and Betty and the girls... and to you guys and the doctors and nurses and the machines and the knowledge. Hell, there's so much going for Joe he's just got to pull through!
62chrysler
Posted 2005-07-07 7:03 PM (#34425 - in reply to #33509)

Yeah Doug. . . I am obviously rattled with all this.

You wrote that, and it will be read to Joe in the morning.  But I would like to have someone else say this besides me.

I intend to tell Joe "I need him on his feet so he can kick (or try too) my ass".  That has been a standing joke between he and I for the last 17 years, since I met him.  I haven't had a good way of saying it to him.

We know his is listening, sometimes he moves his head slightly.  We watch the monitors thinking he is trying to communicate with us that way.  I could be wrong, but my impression is he is trying to get out of his cacoon and become part of the human race again.  And Oh Boy!  What a race it is.

I always skip part of my reports to try to keep things on the lighter side.  I don't want him to know what we know.  But I am sure he knows what his condition is.  I have been looking around to see if I have any pictures of he and Betty, none so far.  It would be nice to put a face with a name.

I got a call from the State Police today in response to me getting some pics of the car.  They did this as a courtesy to our locals.  They told me I cannot go near the car, and the car is being taken from the town garage tomorrow.  I asked them if I could get a few of their shots of the car, the officer took my email address.  He was kind enough to listen to how much involved our group is and understood we are a big family.  He told me he would see what he can do for us.  He is into those old chebbys, never thought about old mopars.  He said the next time he sees an old Mopar, he "would have a new respect for them".  It will be a few more days before I will have anything.  Maybe someday, I will be able to show you all what this little Welchman survived. 

By the way, Joe is a shorter version of me.  He's 5'7", was 200 pounds, and has shoulders on him that filled the seat of his car.  I often teased him about being shaped like a funnel.  Those ham hocks he calls hands are like a pair of vice grips too.  He tightens  things with his fingers I have to get a wrench to loosen.  (Maybe I'm just getting too old  LOL)  He's tough!  Real tough.  This is the guy that I want with me when I take on a bus load of punks. hehehehehe

So this post will be passed over tomorrow. . . .

Thanks Ray. . . You and I were posting the same time.  I hope to have good news for you when you return

Budman58
Posted 2005-07-07 9:16 PM (#34436 - in reply to #33509)

Veteran

This is the first time I read about this tragedy, stick with them Steve, you sure sound like a friend we all could use. Let the family know we are wishing them the best from Northern NH and take care of yourself as well. Paul
safetymike77
Posted 2005-07-07 10:20 PM (#34442 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

I want you to remind Betty of just how much we are pulling for them, it is through her, the conduit to Joe's heart that we will succeed in truly helping Joe through it all. She will have to be stronger than all of you, as she is the only one that can really get to Joe. We are all behind you girl. Stand strong, stand firm, and hold him up, and he will be there for you the next time you need him. But don't worry... We are all here to help you stand tall.
mspaintguy
Posted 2005-07-08 12:15 AM (#34458 - in reply to #33509)

What an outpouring of support, I just read the posts. Everyone is in my prayers. God Bless.
realgone58
Posted 2005-07-08 1:20 AM (#34469 - in reply to #33509)

Elite Veteran

Steve, The Lord is on our side. He is there for Joe and Betty, you and the rest of us. Joe and Betty are now on our prayer list at Oak Grove United Methodist Church in Hattiesburg, Miss. They are there as friends of ours, even though we never met. It does'nt matter. I know we have things in common, and regardless of that, they are human, and they are in need. God bless y'all. We are a close knit bunch, and we should seriously think of a national meet for us all. We don't realize how important we are to each other, until we're needed. Love thy neighbor................That's how our good Lord guides us.
bigfinmopar
Posted 2005-07-08 11:42 AM (#34498 - in reply to #33509)

Regular

Hang in there Steve! You are a person that anyone would be PROUD to call a friend or brother. You may not grasp the importance the roll you are playing right now,but I can tell you reading your posts always brings a tear to my eye because I can feel your pain. You are genuine good folk. That`s the best you can be for Joe and Betty right now! God bless you!! God bless the forward look family! You are all in my prayers,Mike-bigfin..............
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)