The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sad Announcement about an FL Member
[Frozen]

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 3 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Frozen    Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

Jessica Hendricks
Posted 2005-07-08 8:07 PM (#34528 - in reply to #33509)
Subject: RE: Sad Announcement about an FL Member

I wont be making carlisle after all, but warm wishes to betty and joe and the girls.

Take care

Jess
Top of the page Bottom of the page
62chrysler
Posted 2005-07-08 9:33 PM (#34534 - in reply to #33509)

Account Suspended (Steve Hobby Alias)

Sorry to hear that Jessica. . . I hope everything is OK.  That's two of us now.

Status report

Well He's still with us. . . Doctors seem to think he is delibrately shutting himself down to heal.  They can find no reason for Joe to be in the state he is in.  His vital signs show some improvement after Betty chewing his ear off for several hours.  A glimmer of hope.

Betty, being fully aware of her and his condition, was wheeled out of the ICU room so we could talk privately.  Betty said she had a talk with him while the private nurse was out of the room.  We know what that means. . . .  So she is accepting the fact he could go either way.  She said she ended her brief discussion with, "I wish you wouldn't go Joe.  I need you".  A sentance like that is really hard for me to accept without breaking down.

So far, his liver is improving, his kidneys are starting to function, his blood pressure is still a bit low, but he's not loosing any, he's resting.  Brain waves are good, he's breathing on his own and there is spontainious reaction from all his limbs and body areas.  His stomach mussles are all re-attached and he now has several layers of skin graphed to his adnomin.  They can find no blood clots, but are keeping him thined out to make sure until he heals a bit more, about another week.  About a third of his left torso was torn out with another third badly damaged.  His intestines are healing nicely.  So he really has everything going for him.

The doctors told us today his quality of life in the future will be very good.  He will be almost normal in about a years time, except for heavy lifting or anything that will affect his stomach mussles.  They said two years and he will probably be back to the old grind as he used to be.  They are glad to hear he has a pool, as this will help him greatly with excersise.  He is physically looking very good at this time with all the signs of a full recovery.  However, the lazy SOB won't wake up.  They could give him a stimulant, but they don't want him to move around too much yet.  So it's wait and see.

With all this in mind, Betty instructed me to find someone to enclose the pool for winter use and to work up an enclosed walkway to it.  That ought to be interesting. . . .  He already has a heater so we're ahead of the game.

Over all, I feel better about him, but with reservations.  Betty will be fine, according to the Plastic Surgeon, Joe Leone, she will have her youthful look back in 6 months.  He said he'll make her look 16. 

safetymike77
Posted 2005-07-08 9:57 PM (#34538 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

In my best Roscoe P. Coltrane voice..... Good news! Good News! Sorry, been buying up every season of the dukes I can get. Tell Joe he can borrow them while he is bored silly and recovering. Cept for the disk with Daisy in a swimsuit of course. Besides... he has his own lady!

Seriously, glad to hear the good news. Lets all keep praying or pulling or hoping or wishing or whatever the heck you are doing to help our buddy. It must be helping!
MOPAR-TO-YA
Posted 2005-07-09 1:22 AM (#34551 - in reply to #33509)

Expert 5K+

Steve, your post reminds me so much of when my mom was in the hospital--not responding to anything. Not in an actual coma, just no responce to anyone, with her eyes closed. My Dad had passed away a few years previous and she wanted to go to heaven to be with him again. Never ate , never made a sound, nothing. The Doctor said mom was making her deceistion--was she going to go on living or die? They couldn't find a good reason for her condition. Well, she must have made up her mind, one day her eyes opened wide and she gave me a big smile, was instantly on the road to recovery! She too had many people praying for her. Joe knows, people need him to hang in there. He may not be sure that he can recover the way he wants. We will pray that one day soon he will open his eyes and give you all a big smile! It is hard to believe that we can be so involved with people we have never met. Joe and Betty are so lucky to have each other and both are lucky to have Steve Hobby as a friend and neighbor. Tell them I anxiously wait for their progress and hope for the best for them.......MorePowerToYou.......
62chrysler
Posted 2005-07-09 8:43 PM (#34576 - in reply to #33509)

I got nuthin much for you today.  I haven't been to the hospital yet, I will be going over there as soon as I finish this.

I talked to Betty on the phone however.  She tells me his status is the same as it was yesterday.  So we are in limbo.  She did say since she knows this guy for almost 30 years, she can tell that "he is up to something though".  Joe is a planner, when he executes a plan it usually is successful.  Betty seems to think he is going to come out of the box running when he wakes up.  I sure hope so. . . .

Besides.  He has half my tools and I don't know where they are!  I wish he would wake up so I can get my bushing driver kit back. . . .

60 Finatic
Posted 2005-07-09 9:11 PM (#34579 - in reply to #33509)

Extreme Veteran

Every day that I have the opportunity to get time for the Internet, I come here first. I have been following this thead since the onset and keep hoping for a drastic improvement; I truly feel it is coming soon. Watching the posts people have made speak volumes for the character of this forum and the concern they have for others. I feel I am probably in the silent majority; we want the best possible outcome but don't want to clutter this thread up. WE are pulling for Joe and Betty, concerned for their daughters and grateful that Steve finds a way to make a difference, both for Joe and his family and for us poor slobs that can't physically be there to pitch in but really do care.
62chrysler
Posted 2005-07-11 1:07 PM (#34694 - in reply to #33509)

I tried to get in here yesterday, but the site was down.  I didn't come back to it later

Joe is still status quo with no changes.  This morning, I told Joe I was going to come in tomorrow and "slap the S**T out of him if he didn't wake up and tell me where my bushing tools are".  That got a rise out of the monitors, so we know someone is home, the lights are still out.  Maybe I need to connect him to a battery charger or something.

Betty is fine, she continues her vigil on Joe to snap him out of it. 

The girls are doing well also, Wendy is back in school (Local)  So she comes every night.  Casey is working 3/4 days and spends the balance in the hospital.  Wendy Graduates the 28th, so I guess I will be the Mom and Dad for that.  She goes to school with my daughter who also graduates the same day.

I am doing fine.  Reality has finally settled in. . .  Don't spend as much time over at the Hospital as I should, But I need to get caught up here.  I am finally getting some rest, tossing and turning allot, depressed, but coming around.

More when I can

forwardlookparts
Posted 2005-07-11 3:24 PM (#34705 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

Steve, don't beat yourself up too bad about not being at the hospital every minute. You have a lot going on in your life and I am sure Joe and family knows that. You have gone above and beyond the call of duty 'cause you love the guy, but you need to start concentrating on number one or you're gonna crash and burn, mentally and physically. Take care of yourself! (I know, easier said than done!) Talk to someone you feel you can open up to.
bigfinmopar
Posted 2005-07-11 3:43 PM (#34709 - in reply to #33509)

Regular

DITTO!!!!
JERSEYBOB
Posted 2005-07-11 5:05 PM (#34719 - in reply to #34694)

Expert

You know how everybody says; " there isnt enough time in a day", or "too many irons in the fire", or, "I just wish I had more time...."... well, there ISN'T enough time in the day to live your own life let alone live the lives of others at the same time. Steve, your trying to be a father to two families, a husband to two women, a business owner, a moderator, a good friend, and so on. Do the best you can, thats all you can do. It's tough, but dont let guilt creep in to take away the things you've accomplished. Even if; (God forbid) Joe never knows what you have done. Your doin' fine brother............hang in there.

Edited by JERSEYBOB 2005-07-11 5:07 PM
RoyalGate
Posted 2005-07-11 5:54 PM (#34723 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

Very well said Bob.

Steve,
Have you thought of taking a recording of a HEMI engine run into Joe's room
and playing that to him. Maybe that will kick start something. I know the sound
of a Hemi starting and running gets my heart pumping faster. Especially if there is
open headers involved.

Edited by RoyalGate 2005-07-11 5:55 PM
safetymike77
Posted 2005-07-11 5:59 PM (#34724 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

There you go. Or one of his favorite shows!

Hey, my opinion guys, if these are getting read for joe, why not clutter this thread up! Hell, lets make if 50 pages, just so he knows how many of us care about him and are pulling. Don't hold back. Give the girls or Betty something to read to him!
Administrator
Posted 2005-07-11 9:28 PM (#34746 - in reply to #34724)

Elite Veteran

A Forward Look care package is on the way!

-Dave & Juley & Everyone @ C@C

Ray Bell
Posted 2005-07-13 2:01 AM (#34845 - in reply to #34724)

Expert

safetymike77

Hey, my opinion guys, if these are getting read for joe, why not clutter this thread up! Hell, lets make if 50 pages, just so he knows how many of us care about him and are pulling. Don't hold back. Give the girls or Betty something to read to him!

There won't be time!

He's getting better all the time, he won't sit still to listen to it all read if we go beserk like that... glad to see he's still hanging in there, Steve, and you too. Keep up the good work, all of you.
62chrysler
Posted 2005-07-14 10:04 PM (#34903 - in reply to #33509)

Well I'm glad to see the board back.   Sure you guys want to know what is going on. . .  .

Well, I got a frantic phone call last evening around 10:30 or so to come to the hospital as quickly as possible.  Wendy called in tears, blubbering so hard I could hardly make out who it was, but there was a pretty loud din in the background.  All I could make out was "Come Quick!  We need you here.   It's Daddy!!"   I feared the worse.

Lickity split, in the rain and all, I darted down to the hospital at a full sprint.  You can imagine a 55 year old fat mad running in the rain.  I bolted up to Joe and Betties room.  Now mind you there was a croud in there.  They were all leaning over Joe, there was a great deal of comotion.  I took a second to get my composure, it looked to me as if Joe had coded on them and they were trying to revive him.  It was so loud, nurses and doctors surrounded him, blocking my view through the window in the hallway.

OK so I busted your chops on this one. . .  He're the news.  The son-of-a-bitch is awake!  He woke about 1/2 an hour after I left the hospital at 10:00.  He looked like crap when I left.  Betty said she got the nurse to push the bed over.  She said he first started to moan.  The he spoke a few slerred words, then out of his mouth he said.  "Tell Hobby his bushing tools are in the trunk of the Saratoga".  She broke out laughing so hard she pulled an I.V. tube out.

Wendy and Casey went down to the caffiteria to grab a soda.  When they came back, Betty was hanging on him with dear life.  She was crying, while not supposed to be because of the eye surgery, they thought Joe had passed also.

So I walk into the room.  Soaked, leaving a puddle on the floor.  She see's me and waves me in.  I got a glimps of his face, and I saw that pair of hazel eyes looking at me with a half assed grin.  First thing out of his mouth to me was. "YOU!  You have been here every day, calling me names, as usual, reading me stuff from Forward Look, talking to my wife behind my back, asking me where your sh** is, worrying yourself sick over me, and here you are!"  My reply.  "Why you low down dirty Son of o bitch, don't you ever scare me like that again.  I was beside myself for almost three weeks!"  "Yeah I know you were.  I was aware of everything, but was trying to talk.  These dudes here had me so doped up. . ."

Well there was more, but I found out Joe was compalining about the pain from all the traction equipment on him.  The word spread around the hospital like wild fire.  DeRosa showed up in his shorts and a T shirt with paint spots on it and an old pair of ragidity sneakers.  So all the comotion was the doctors and nurses trying to adjust his traction to reduce the pain.

I gotta' tell you, this was the most emotional time I think I have ever had.  Still crying with Joy!

I spent much of the day at the hospital with Joe and Betty.  I am leaving tomorrow on a business trip for a few days, so I wanted to get my time in.  Joe asked me to send a message.

"Tell everyone at Forward Look, I don't know how to thank them.  I know these people because of you, (Meaning me) I have never met one of them.  I came close to Jessica in June,  Missed her by a couple of hours.  But I have learned to love those guys through my contact with all of them."  These words will stay with me for the rest of my life .

So there you have it.  2 for 2.  All the praying and Crying we have all done to save these two paid off.  How do I say thank you from here.

Special thanks to Mathan for your email.  I just got it half an hour ago.  I figured this was the best way to reply.

I won't have time until Monday night to see Joe or fill you in.  But I will be in contact with them while I am travelling.  I may try to call Spanky and have him post an update.  But don't worry, he looks like he's going to be fine.

62chrysler
Posted 2005-07-14 10:21 PM (#34906 - in reply to #33509)

Oh Yes.  I should tell you about the day.

We told Joe everything.  It took us a day to describe the details of events from the time we heard about it until he woke up.  We told Joe about the Saratoga, he was disappointed, but knew the car was totaled on the first shot he took.  He remembered fighting with the car to regain control and try to steer it to safety.  He sid he remembered a loud bang and then knew nothing for some time.  It was a couple of days before he realized how bad he was.  He remembered us argueing with someone about moving the two together in the same room.  He remembered things that went on in the operating room, recovery room.

He was saddened to learn that the first truck driver was killed.  We explained to him he may be charged with death by auto.  But later in the day, a local poice officer and a state police officer cam in to take a statement from him.  What none of us knew was Joe was technically under arrest.  He gave the cops his statement, that is how I learned about what happened at the accident.  Joes description was pretty close to what I concluded from the info I got.  I spoke to the trooper in the hall after the interview.  He said he couldn't say for sure, it was up to the prosecuters office from here. (Another friend of mine)  But based on everything he has done in the investigation, if he does get charged, he will be acquited.  He has to go through the formality.  He did say candidly, he was recommending he not be charged.

OK  I'm outa' here.  I'll be able to sleep in 6 moths or so.  I have lots to do now for the living.

Ray Bell
Posted 2005-07-14 10:23 PM (#34907 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

So did you go get the bushing stuff?
62chrysler
Posted 2005-07-14 10:26 PM (#34909 - in reply to #33509)

What trunk?  It was in the back seat when I last saw the car.  Thig was turned into an Omni
Nathan D. Manning
Posted 2005-07-14 10:38 PM (#34912 - in reply to #33509)
Subject: HAPPY Announcement about a FL Member!

In recognition of Steve's recent postings, I took the liberty to change the subject line of this thread...

I'm VERY glad to hear of Joe's miraculous awakening. This news came just in time to start my 3-day weekend off right. I won't be near a computer for a few days... so I was hoping for some good news before I hit the road.

Joe... Hang in there, man! You've beaten the odds to cruise again, my friend!
May God bless you and Betty, and continue to work miracles in your lives together.
One of these days I'm going to make the pilgrimage up to Carlisle... and I want to meet you two in person while I'm that far north of here.

In fact, as impossible as it would seem, I'd like to meet EVERYONE on this board someday.
Never before have I seen such an outpouring of support amongst a group like this.

I consider myself very fortunate to be a member of this fine network of individuals.

I hope you all have a great weekend... I know that I, for one, will rest easier knowing that things are looking up for Joe and Betty.

Take care, and I'll check in with you all next week.

-NM

Edited by Nathan D. Manning 2005-07-14 10:40 PM
Ray Bell
Posted 2005-07-14 10:49 PM (#34914 - in reply to #34909)

Expert

Originally posted by 62chrysler

What trunk? It was in the back seat when I last saw the car. Thig was turned into an Omni

Obviously he's making you work to get your gear back!
61plymy
Posted 2005-07-14 11:01 PM (#34917 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

Hot darn,

That is great news!! I too have watched this thread like a hawk, needing to know the situation, but dreading the things I might find that I didn't want to find.

Joe, you are some tough oreo filling, that's all I can say, and that goes for Betty too. While tragic for the trucker that was killed, and his poor family, at least there are these two survivors we can celebrate over.

I have never witnessed anything like this on any board I have ever frequented. A rare thing at least, a freakin' miracle for sure. What a conglomeration of humanity we have here and what a beautiful coming-together.

I have to admit that I'm not a frequent prayer, but I think my mind has been changed here a bit.

Glad to have you both on the recovery road, Joe and Betty. We are all pulling for you.

And Hobby can afF**d to buy a new bushing puller set, for cripes sake, but I bet he's down at the impound yard as soon as it is released, trying to pry that trunk open, the cheapo! But you know what, Steve? Joe got you to Arobicize in that little run in the rain you had there. The Lord works in mysterious ways, my friend!!! Have a good trip!

Mike

Edited by 61plymy 2005-07-14 11:03 PM
realgone58
Posted 2005-07-15 12:13 AM (#34919 - in reply to #33509)

Elite Veteran

A sigh of relief from myself and my family tonight as I read the latest on this thread. This is good news. Glad to hear y'all are doing well. My best to Steve, Joe and Betty.
bigfinmopar
Posted 2005-07-15 8:41 AM (#34937 - in reply to #33509)

Regular

WOW! Tears of joy and praise!! This morning starts a brand new day of thanks and happiness. Way to go Joe!! Betty,your prayers have been answered....Thank God,and this big family! But does this mean that Steve will be finless???I`ll bet Steve is overjoyed with this outcome. I know too well that feeling of going to the scene expecting the worse. I`m glad he got to witness the mirical first hand,he deserved to.....I think I`ll throw a party of sorts!! All I can say is THANK GOD! You all have a GREAT weekend.....Mike-bigfin..
shawns57dodge
Posted 2005-07-15 9:01 AM (#34940 - in reply to #33509)
Subject: RE: VERY HAPPY Announcement about an FL Member

Regular

Hi Guys-
I have been reading these posts faithfully since this all started and I just wanted to say that I am so happy about the latest news. I have not been one who posts regularly to the board, but this has just overwhelmed me. I feel like I know all of these guys...Joe, Betty, and Steve. Steve, you are an inspiration...few of us can say that we have friends in our lives that would be there for us to the extent that you have been there for Joe and Betty. As sad as I was to learn of the fate of Joe's '59, I also know that things can be replaced but people cannot. Anyway, I just wanted to leave a message and let everyone know how fantastic this group of people is...the sincere concern, prayers, and good wishes have been amazing to read. Steve, tell Joe and Betty to keep pushing ahead and there will be a day that this will just be a distant memory and they'll be back cruising down the road soon. You all take care...
Shawn
forwardlookparts
Posted 2005-07-15 10:28 AM (#34944 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

Thank God! I finally got a chance to read the thread this morning after Steve's update last evening and I am elated. I have had a pretty tough week all-around and reading this, tears welling in my eyes, was my highlight! I know that we (we're all in this together!) are not out of the woods yet and the road to recovery will be long and painful, but Joe has proven that he plans to be around to return Steve's bushing set even if it WAS in the trunk!

That law really bothers me, even though an acquittal is a sure thing even if he is charged. I mean, WHAT THE HELL?! Who crossed into who's path?! Doesn't the poor guy have enough on his plate?

I continue to pray for all involved. This whole thing illustrates the power of prayer, it is truly amazing. Best regards to all and tell Joe we're not gonna let him drive for a couple more weeks!
60 Finatic
Posted 2005-07-15 11:31 AM (#34952 - in reply to #33509)

Extreme Veteran

Two Words: HOT D@MN!!
Jessica Hendricks
Posted 2005-07-15 1:14 PM (#34960 - in reply to #33509)

"A life watered by the tears of tragedy and suffering
Often becomes the most fertile soil for growth."

Joe and Betty, i continue to think of you often and admire you in your leaps and bounds to recovery. Keep up the good fight.. we will meet someday soon

Jessica
60 Finatic
Posted 2005-07-15 2:07 PM (#34964 - in reply to #33509)

Extreme Veteran

I went back and read Steve's most recent post that said Joe would be charged... Going back to the first post, I thought the truck blew a tire and crossed the median so how could Joe be at fault? Is this a 'Jersey thing?'
58 DESOTOS RULE
Posted 2005-07-15 2:49 PM (#34967 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

Praise the Lord! I can't begin to tell you how happy I am to hear that Joe and Betty are going to get well. It's a pity about Joe's 59 Chrysler, but things can be replaced. Maybe Steve will give Joe a break on his 59.

I too don't understand why Joe would be charged in the truck driver's death. If I understand how the accident happened, it was the truck that blew a tire, crossed the median and nailed Joe. Wasn't his fault at all. And then a truck going the same way as Joe plowed into the accident and turned the 59 Chrysler into the filling of a hamburger sandwich. Must be New Jersey's strange traffic laws. No doubt they deserve the high insurance rates they pay... 

savoyv8
Posted 2005-07-15 3:45 PM (#34969 - in reply to #33509)

Veteran

Not much for words, but , OH MY GOD, WHAT GREAT NEWS!!!!!! Steve, GET SOME SLEEP. Terry & Mary
gunzilla
Posted 2005-07-15 4:11 PM (#34972 - in reply to #33509)

Regular

Awesome news, I have been reading teh updates every chance I get, I am relieved that they are both going to be okay...
Gidman
Posted 2005-07-15 5:28 PM (#34975 - in reply to #33509)

Extreme Veteran

Three words can describe it all perfectly: halle freakin' lujah!
Ozzie 61
Posted 2005-07-15 5:37 PM (#34976 - in reply to #33509)

Veteran

Since first hearing about the tragic accident, we have kept you all in prayer...Joe, Betty, Casey, Wendy, and Steve also. What great news to hear about the latest updates! We will continue to pray for strength and healing for all of you. Possesions are nice (but CAN be replaced), but one who has close friends and family by his side is truly blessed! May God Bless You All! Ray (Ozzie)
Ray Bell
Posted 2005-07-15 6:57 PM (#34980 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

The story of Joe waking up talking about the bushing tools reminds me of another... let's inject some humour here! The story is from a racing friend of mine, Terry Cornelius:

IN 1960, Laurie Knight was someone I had never heard of . . . Sabrina, however was someone everyone had heard of. At fourteen years of age, and with my hormones in a tangle, I was lucky enough to be at the pit counter, directly opposite the VIP stand where she was guest of honour, at Albert Park. I remember being part of the line of binoculars trained in her direction across the track.

I digress. I had never heard of Laurie Knight, who lived in Benalla, but two of my best friends were his cousins, as coincidence would have it. Not that that meant anything then, anyway.

From an early age, my Dad must have taken me to every motor racing fixture within a day’s travel - and some beyond. By age 16 I had a very well developed sense of appreciation of mechanical contrivances, and most of my private fantasies dwelt not only on girls, but also the svelte and sexy curves of the Maserati 250F. But here I was at Tarrawingee (history will show that it was November 6, 1960), and I found myself entranced by the sight, the sound, and the glory, of the nude Sabrina.

She was everything I ever desired, and I followed her every detail as she moved lithely across the pits and into the dummy grid area. I couldn’t take my eyes of her two beautiful big jugs . . SUs of course . . . mounted on that big supercharger thrusting Phallus-like in front of the Healey 3000 motor . . . Minus a body, she might well have been unfinished, but she was a mechanical delight! After witnessing its hugely successful debut that day, I was part of the large admiring group gathered around Laurie Knight and his creation, when someone asked him why he called it Sabrina. Without hesitation he announced that it was because “she was always so very far out in front!”

Unfortunately, Laurie was to crash Sabrina at Hume Weir two months later, putting him and the car out of commission for some time. The story goes that, semi-conscious in the ambulance, Laurie’s only concern was . . “how is the supercharger?”

WINTON, 1962, and I again beheld the spectacle of Sabrina, this time making her second debut, and this time with her clothes on. Laurie had repaired the Hume Weir damage and continued the construction process to its logical conclusion . . . A smooth and delightful fibreglass body! Now the name matched the body . . . or did the body match the name? Certainly, both namesakes were very curvy.

The car seemed to be even more desirable because it was road registered, and I couldn’t help conjuring up images of terrorising the neighbourhood with tyres, supercharger, exhaust and passenger screaming in unison!

I sure hope you Yanks know who Sabrina was. We did here... she toured showing off the nicest pair of 'jugs' back there in the fifties, got on every live TV show!
Kelly
Posted 2005-07-15 11:04 PM (#34994 - in reply to #33509)
Subject: great news!

Veteran

Glad to hear that Joe is alright! Got a nice coronet to replace his saratoga...
RoyalGate
Posted 2005-07-16 2:13 PM (#35038 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

My computer crashed last Tuseday, the 12th, and I have been getting
things back up to speed. Had to buy a new computer and load all of my
old stuff into it. This is the first time I've been able to check on Joe and
Betty's progress since last Monday, AND WHAT A SURPISE AND JOY.

It has taken me quite a while to read everything that has happened since
my last check. Couldn't see the monitor to well.

THIS IS FANTASTIC NEWS!!!! I know everyone is relieved and happy about Joe's
recovery and progress and a prayer of thanks is going out from this household.
It will be a long hard trip back on the rehab trail, but be sure and tell Joe and Betty
that everyone here wants to hear how that portion of this ordeal is going, as well.
They will need all of our support and prayers through all of that as well.

I'm not one to do a lot of traveling, unless it's to go get another car. It's the only
way my wife has gotten to see other parts of America besides Missouri. But I
made up my mind that, God and finances willing, I'm going to make the first Carlie
show that Joe and Betty are able to attend. Maybe we should all
make that time a "Get To Know Each Other" weekend. Personnally I enjoy meeting
good people and you all are people I would be honored to shake hands with. A person
can't have to many good frends. Steve, this thread needs to be a lot bigger and I think
updates on Joe and Betty's recovery and rehab would be a great way to do that.

THIS JUST MADE MY WHOLE DAY!!! YEHAAA, WOOO HOOO
RoyalGate
Posted 2005-07-16 2:53 PM (#35040 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

I am catching up on my e-mail and my brother-in-law sent me
this one. I thought it was something I should share with all
of you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

THE BRICK

A young and successful executive was traveling down a neighborhood
street, going a bit too fast in his new Jaguar. He was watching for
kids darting out from between parked cars and slowed down
when he thought he saw something. As his car passed, no children
appeared. Instead, a brick smashed into the Jag's side door. He
slammed on the brakes and backed the Jag back to the spot where the brick
had been thrown.
The angry driver then jumped out of the car, grabbed the nearest kid and pushed him
up against a parked car shouting, "What was that all about and who are
you? Just what the heck are you doing? That's a new car and that brick
you threw is going to cost a lot of money. Why did you do it?"
The young boy was apologetic. "Please, mister...please, I'm sorry but I didn't
know what else to do," He pleaded. "I threw the brick because no one else
would stop..." With tears dripping down his face and off his chin,
the youth pointed to a spot just around a parked car. "It's my brother,"
he said. "He rolled off the curb and fell out of his wheelchair and I
can't lift him up."
Now sobbing, the boy asked the stunned executive, "Would you please
help me get him back into his wheelchair? He's hurt and he's too heavy
for me."

Moved beyond words, the driver tried to swallow the rapidly swelling
lump in his throat. He hurriedly lifted the handicapped boy back into the
wheelchair, then took out a linen handkerchief and dabbed at the
fresh scrapes and cuts. A quick look told him everything was going to be
okay. "Thank you and may God bless you," the grateful child told the
stranger. Too shook up for words, the man simply watched the boy! p ush his
wheelchair-bound brother down the sidewalk toward their home.

It was a long, slow walk back to the Jaguar. The damage was very
noticeable, but the driver never bothered to repair the dented side
door. He kept the dent there to remind him of this message:

"Don't go through life so fast that someone has to throw a brick at you
to get your attention!" God whispers in our souls and speaks to our hearts.
Sometimes when we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick at us.
It's our choice to listen or not.

Thought for the Day:

If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it.
If He had a wallet, your photo would be in it.
He sends you flowers every spring.
He sends you a sunrise every morning Face it, friend - He is crazy
about you!

Send this to every "beautiful person" you wish to bless.

God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun
without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the
tears, and light for the way.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DID WE ALL JUST HAVE A BRICK THROWN AT US ?????
bigfinmopar
Posted 2005-07-16 3:06 PM (#35043 - in reply to #33509)

Regular

That is a very inspireing story Royalgate! I think you are on to something here. It sure made me think twice about things. Thanks for sharing!! Take care,Mike-bigfin..
Jmmyjam
Posted 2005-07-16 3:12 PM (#35044 - in reply to #33509)

Extreme Veteran

Whoopie!! Just got back in town from a trip to D.C. for work. Before I left Joe's prospects were looking dim. Now I get back and the guy is on his way to recovery. God is good. Now, we outta do something as a FL group. I don't know what. What about that idea to innundate Joe and Betty with cards? If we could get an address we could do it. Hell, I'd send some of my famous barbeque chicken if the hospital could handle it through their fax machine! Anyways, great news about them both.
59savoy
Posted 2005-07-16 10:56 PM (#35063 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

thanks be to God for bricks, chickens, and FL friends. we have been privy to a miracle.

now go to church tomorrow and tell somebody how happy you are!!
realgone58
Posted 2005-07-17 11:13 PM (#35125 - in reply to #33509)

Elite Veteran

Amen!!!!!
62chrysler
Posted 2005-07-18 7:56 PM (#35213 - in reply to #33509)

Well My goodness.  You guys have been busy.

I was away for 4 days, up watching Canadian Teleivision in the evenings.  No wonder Psycho has a screw loose.  CTV is the pitts.  But I guess it falls in place with the New York stations. . . .

As I promised I would, I tried to call Chuck so he could post an update.  But alas, the weather up there was pretty rotten and I couldn't hold a signal on my cell.  Soo I waited to now to bring you more news.

Upon returning from a 9 hour drive, I went directly to the Hospital to physically see Joe and Betty.  I had been calling them from Canada when I could, but most of the conversations were interupted with static and lost signals.  I guess beer is Canada's stronger point.

Betty and Joe have been moved to 2 separate rooms.  Betty is has graduated to a wheel chair, she is still pretty banged up and has some strong pains in her back and arms.  They are looking into that now.  One xray revealed a small bone chip against the spinal cord, in a low danger area.  The plan is to go get it in a couple of days.  Meanwhile she can move around, but needs to be real careful.  The chip is not life threatening and small enough that it will not harm her other than the pain.

Speaking of pains. . . .  Joe on the other hand, has stooped to new levels.  He's been pinching nurses butts.  Now figure this out.  The guy has been out of it for almost three weeks, he comes too, swears at his best friend, crys at all the support and then next thing you know, he is being fresh.  Betty is aware of it and scolds him, knowing all along he wishes it were her back side.  His spirits seem to be real good. But he's still under quite a bit of medications.  He's been working on some mental excersises to keep him busy.  I gave him two over heating problems to think about.  One is Mikes 59 and my 71.  I already know the answer on the 71 and he hit that on the head.  Mikes on the other hand is annoying him.  Everything is in place on his car. . . .  But he continues to think it out.  Good for him.  Joe Kidneys, Blatter and Liver are all functioning now. . .he is off the machines for that.  He's been getting frequent MRI's, the hole in his lung is healed up pretty good and they have removed the little baloon they had in him.  He's now able to go "pottie", as he called it, on his own, but they continue with the cathiter.  He is still unable to chew like Betty, has allot of jaw pain yet.  He's on baby foods which he says he's finally getting a taste for.  Over all, he looks fabulas considering what he was 3 weeks ago.  He's punchy and rightfully so. 

Joe says the Doctor is going to keep him in there for another month, while Betty should be able to go home in a week or so.  It's safe to say they can be separated.

Got a package from Dave today.  It's a banner from Carslile.  I will tend to it tomorrow with Joe.  For now, I have a whole page to print out for him.  This time, he can read it for himself.

By the way, the bushing tools weren't important. . .  I can replace them, and will have too.  It was an excersise to get his brain working.  He responds to stuff like that.

If there's any changes, I'll let you know.  But for now, I need to get some of my work done.  I'll be quiet for a few days.

60 dart
Posted 2005-07-18 8:06 PM (#35216 - in reply to #33509)

Expert 5K+

i wondered why you hadn't called------great news about BETTY AND JOE although there is still a long way to go------GOD willing it will go along smooth as silk------i think about you both all day long-every day-----GOD BLESS AND GOD SPEED----------------CHUCK
forwardlookparts
Posted 2005-07-18 10:24 PM (#35228 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

As always, THANK YOU STEVE!!

BTW-- I am STILL waiting for your address so I can send you this d@mn power lock switch I owe you!!!
MorePar
Posted 2005-07-19 12:11 AM (#35230 - in reply to #35228)

We only see and understand darkly why these things happen. I am very happy that they will recover. We should all pause and thank God. Life is short but it is full of trials and blessings.

Slim
62chrysler
Posted 2005-07-19 7:12 PM (#35280 - in reply to #33509)

Hi All

Just a quock note.

I took the banner to Joe today, but he wasn't there.  He was getting an MRI and was expected to be gone a while.

I didn't leave the banner.  I want him there for the unvailing.  I'll try to go over tonight, camera in hand.  Working in tiny windows here now.

I gotta' say this thread has to be a FL record.  Over 4000 visitors, in 3 weeks with 144 posts.  What a nice feeling.  Thank you.

57Furykay
Posted 2005-07-20 5:40 PM (#35331 - in reply to #33509)

Veteran

TO Steve Hobby, I want to thankyou for the encourageing news, I haven't been close , so close to a person that I didn't That I did not know. Thankyou again, Kay
Ray Bell
Posted 2005-07-20 6:26 PM (#35334 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

I assume all's quiet because the pair of them are making quiet progress?

Please keep us posted, all the same, if possible. A great many of us have lived with this highly emotional drama for over three weeks, it's a part of our lives, we look forward to more good news...
safetymike77
Posted 2005-07-20 6:27 PM (#35335 - in reply to #33509)

Expert

Hey... tell that sum beach to leave some of the nice lookin nurse rear-ends for me to pinch!
bigfinmopar
Posted 2005-07-24 12:52 PM (#35643 - in reply to #33509)

Regular

Any NEW news on Joe and Betty`s condition?? Prayers are still being said.. God Bless! Everything OK Steve? Take care,Mike-bigfin.....
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 3 [50 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)