The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

MISS BELVEDERE: The Motion Picture
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> Miss Belvedere - The Unearthed Tulsarama Plymouth!Message format

bkbousman
Posted 2008-06-10 11:57 PM (#133497)
Subject: MISS BELVEDERE: The Motion Picture

Pre-production and scripting is underway for an independent, feature-length movie based on the burial and resurrection of Miss Belvedere. An excellent documentary has already been released. This is not associated with that production. This movie will be fictional (mostly) and will take a while to complete.

I am currently screenwriting and doing research to support the production, and wanted to introduce myself to everyone who pays attention to this site. Looks like you could all help me out! What better way to preserve Miss Belvedere's legacy than on the silver screen?

Everyone give me your initial thoughts and I'll start asking questions...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
d500neil
Posted 2008-06-11 2:40 AM (#133512 - in reply to #133497)
Subject: Re: MISS BELVEDERE: The Motion Picture

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

Well, you DEFINITELY want to explore the issue as to WHY the good burghers/city fathers decided NOT to seal-up the car in a welded-steel vault, as they did do, with the time capsule (and which survived submerged in the muck at the bottom of the vault, just fine, for 50 years).

You also want to confirm why the three ceiling lids were not sealed-together, and/or sealed at the sides of the vault.

The lids were just physically lying on top of the edges of the sides of the vault; apparently, "they" all thought that the STITCHED-together vinyl(?-) type body-baggie, enclosing the car, and the sprayed-on gunnite, inside the vault, would protect the car.

SO: the fatal-flaw(s) of the design was the complete disregard for water intrusion from ABOVE the vault.

I don't know how much water may have entered the vault from 'below', but the exposed vault interior showed clear evidence of repeated leakages down thru the top of the vault.

Once the water got into the vault, it apparently could not drain out of it, and its chemical composition ate-away ate the body-baggie and/or its stitching.

If only the car would have been sealed-up in its own steel sarcophagus, and/or would have been stored ABOVE ground, as the City DID do, with a 1998(?) Plymouth Prowler which is interred in another 50-year time capsule, in a city park.

Ironically, before the grand-unveiling, the City had feared that the vibrations from nearby city traffic might have damaged the integrity of the vault.

The vault held-up just fine; it was, just, not well-enuf SEALED, to prevent water intrusion, from above, and/or had no provision to expell any water which might have entered the vault, at any time.

Edited by d500neil 2008-06-11 2:44 AM
bkbousman
Posted 2008-06-11 10:54 PM (#133671 - in reply to #133497)
Subject: RE: MISS BELVEDERE: The Motion Picture

YES!! I LOVE IT!!

This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for from everyone. This gets my brain swirling and plot thickens.

Maybe it didn't get sealed because someone wanted to be able to get back in there for something later?!! Wonder if there were ever any attempts in 50 years from someone trying to dig down there? (Probably not, being in front of the courthouse, but stranger things have happened). Just fun things to think about.

I want everyone to be reminded that I AM interested in factual pieces of info, but I am NOT doing a documentary. I want to give a lot of credit to the doc that was already produced. Great DVD. I am working on loosely based fiction for fun.

If everything lives up to what I feel is the potential that surrounds this story, Miss Belvedere and Christine will be like second cousins in Tinsel Town.

SCRIPTING QUESTION OF THE DAY: Is it true that Miss Belvedere would have been built in either L.A. or Windsor, Canada? If so, other than the VIN number (which is not available yet to my understanding) is there any way to know for sure which plant she came from right now?
chrysler300c
Posted 2008-06-12 12:11 AM (#133687 - in reply to #133671)

Expert ,, George Passed away July 28th 2021, He will be Missed

I think you need to look into the idiotic idea of restoring the car by the new owners....... definitely they have the best minds of the 9th century !!!
bkbousman
Posted 2008-06-12 12:22 AM (#133688 - in reply to #133687)

I have to play devil's advocate on this to learn more.

What would you have ordered done if you learned by surprise that your elders had correctly guessed the population of Tulsa and the car was yours?

And I'll be fair and answer the question myself. But only after you go...
57plymouth
Posted 2008-06-12 5:54 AM (#133707 - in reply to #133512)

Expert

d500neil - 2008-06-11 2:40 AM

Well, you DEFINITELY want to explore the issue as to WHY the good burghers/city fathers decided NOT to seal-up the car in a welded-steel vault, as they did do, with the time capsule (and which survived submerged in the muck at the bottom of the vault, just fine, for 50 years).

Neil, for the love of God, IT WAS NOT DESIGNED TO PRESERVE THE CAR.

IT WAS A PUBLICITY STUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tuske427
Posted 2008-06-23 11:38 PM (#135409 - in reply to #133688)

Veteran

bkbousman - 2008-06-11 9:22 PM

I have to play devil's advocate on this to learn more.

What would you have ordered done if you learned by surprise that your elders had correctly guessed the population of Tulsa and the car was yours?

And I'll be fair and answer the question myself. But only after you go...

I know I wasn't asked, but I'll chime in anyhow. That's the beauty of a forum and I like the question

I would have donated (or sold) it to a museum. Preferably one in Tulsa. Next offer would have been to the Henry Ford museum. Petersen museum third.

d500neil
Posted 2008-06-24 5:18 PM (#135474 - in reply to #135409)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

So, just because it might have been for publicity, doesn't mean that the Good Burghers couldn't/shouldn't have
thought out the process, and welded up the puppy, instead of bagging-and-tagging it, inside a gunnited vault.

Too bad Hefty Bags weren't yet invented.
Swept57
Posted 2008-06-25 1:23 AM (#135544 - in reply to #135474)

Expert

Neil,

From the pictures I saw early on, I was under the impression that the lid was one piece and they sawed it into three pieces to remove it. I swear there was a picture of a guy cutting it.

Dave
d500neil
Posted 2008-06-25 3:37 PM (#135596 - in reply to #135544)

No; we-all were there, and the only cutting going-on was to some fittings on the tops of the lids, not along
any of the seams/joints/parting-lines.

The photos clearly show repeated leakages occurring around the upper perimeter of the vault. I don't think that any of us got to see what the undersides of the lids looked like, THAT would have been very interesting, to see if there were distinct leakage patterns around their edges and at their joints. They might also have confirmed whether the vault might have become fully filled, or not----a real aquarium, and NOT the 'terrarium' it was supposed to have been.

There were three distinct concrete sections comprising the lid assembly. As concrete has a unique crystalline composition, which is condusive to producing crackings/failures at certain intervals (this is my general understanding) it requires stress- relievers (and/or expansion-joints), so that you never see one big-long pouring of un-relieved concrete; now, how the vault, itself, was poured, I dunno.

But, there were three free-standing lid-sections placed over the vault, without apparent benefit of T&G fitment (either together and/or along their sides, with the vault).

The City used lifting-padeyes, which were built into the lid sections, to raise them off of the vault, but, what the City employee was cutting-off from the lid(s): I don't know; I'll go back to the Un-Earthing ceremony & see what 'it' looks like.

BTW, at one point, the City had indicated that it might not know what the lids might resemble, but, on WED 6/13/07, the City already had a suitable lifting crane on site, when we-all arrived there, at about 9:00AM, so, at the very-least, the City was well prepared to conduct some sort of lifting operation, there.

Now, I'm wondering what the cut-off-saw WAS working on. Gotta go back & look at them photos.

Edited by d500neil 2008-06-25 3:41 PM
d500neil
Posted 2008-06-25 4:16 PM (#135602 - in reply to #135596)

Well, THAT was fun! (sort of).

The (ok:my-) photos show that a LOT of water poured into the vault from the off-street side of it, around the middle lid area, along the side of the vault.

The cross-section of the third lid looks to be relatively very-dry, so that the main structural failure may have occurred along the sides of the vault, and mostly on the off-street side (farthest from the feared street-traffic vibration).

The City DID install those lifting padeyes, on top of the lids. I still don't understand what it was that they were cutting off, from the tops of the lids, but it/they WERE metallic!

The sides of the vault look to have been reinforced by the application of extra concrete; too bad a s-h-i-t-load of epoxy-sealer couldn't have been added to the joint-seals (along with the car being welded-up inside a steel container.)

Edited by d500neil 2008-06-25 4:18 PM
bkbousman
Posted 2008-06-27 8:49 PM (#135835 - in reply to #135409)

I wish I had access to Miss Belvedere as she existed when she was resurrected. I would have loved to use her as she was for the film. Now that the restoration is underway, I'll have to find another Belvedere to play the role of the real Miss Belvedere at that stage.

I'm really excited about some "underwater" scenes that will be shot from "inside the vault." I'm sure the real Ms. B wouldn't have wanted to act in that scene anyway, so a body double was inevitable.

I just hope the real Miss Belvedere ends up back in Tulsa, where she was "raised."
d500neil
Posted 2008-06-28 6:42 PM (#135908 - in reply to #135835)

Tulsa derserves better than what the car looks like, now, or when it is 'restored'.

On the OTHER hand, maybe as a hallmark of SHAME, perhaps Tulsa should be FORCED to display the wreckage
in whatever manner Ultra-F-Up gets done doing to it, as a reminder as to how/why the good burghers of 1957
SHOULD have preserved the car: in a welded-up steel enclosure!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)