The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Moving to NZ, some questions...
Moderators: Ray Bell

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Local Regions -> Australia & New Zealand RegionMessage format

Sisu
Posted 2008-01-03 4:52 AM (#109500)
Subject: Moving to NZ, some questions...

Inactive by Request

Hi Guys,

I'm in a position where I can move from Germany to New Zealand (in the end of 2008). I have worked in the IT most of my life, but have slightly changed direction and getting started in manufacturing deep sea robots. Due the work I need more water than we got here (obviously!), but I want to keep the mountains and the nice sceneries of Schwarzwald and the Alps :cool:  So New Zealand has been on top of my list, and seemingly I have not many problems getting accepted to the country as a new enterprise. I haven´t yet decided the location, but have plans to have my next holidays there and look for best area (around April). I just want to make sure I can also have my hobbies there (one thing I don´t want to lose!).

I have few cars I´ll be taking with me, my two '57 Dodge´s and my Sisu off-road truck (build year 1977) with a trailer. I guess I can import them with no probs? How in general the officials think about modifications (remember I´m coming from the "TÜV"-land)? Are the laws regarding vehicles close to British? How common is to see 50's cars and is there a club or something to join?

Sorry for so many questions, I just want to have a better idea what I can take with me and what are the expected problems. Thanks!

Cedric

Btw, Cool - I saw this is thread number 57 !!!

Edited by Sisu 2008-01-03 5:05 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JimK
Posted 2008-01-03 7:04 AM (#109503 - in reply to #109500)
Subject: RE: Moving to NZ, some questions...

Veteran

That wagon will have more than a few shipping miles on it. Did it arrive yet?

Jim Krausmann
Detroit
Sisu
Posted 2008-01-03 7:43 AM (#109505 - in reply to #109500)
Subject: Re: Moving to NZ, some questions...

Inactive by Request

Thanks for asking, yes its arriving next Tuesday to Bremerhaven Hope its ok. Everyone is really expecting that car, can´t wait! I think in the end the car has more sea miles than road miles, LOL.

A friend works for relocation company in Switzerland and she told the president of the company is moving from USA, and he has a really expensive Aston Martin. They had a special container for that car, so safe that there would be absolutely no damage to the vehicle if for some reason the container was dropped 20ft to the ground. I have more options when I´m moving out from here (if the plans go well), so this type of safe container is one option. One problem is I have so much stuff the move will be major project, I know this from experience (moving from Finland to Germany 1.5 years ago).

Cedric

Edited by Sisu 2008-01-03 7:45 AM
Sisu
Posted 2008-01-04 8:33 PM (#109693 - in reply to #109500)

Inactive by Request

So not many users from NZ here? Hope the car scene is alive there and I may get some friends around the hobby. Or I make one 1957 Dodge -couch, 1957 Dodge -grill and 1976 Sisu -table!

Cedric
moparl
Posted 2008-01-06 4:15 AM (#109790 - in reply to #109693)

Veteran

cedric come soon bring as many cars as you want as long as they are mopars ,as long as they are right hand drive you could register all of them ok , they woiuld have to go through certification , if they are left hook our crazy laws only allow one import in your name to be registered per year ,so if you are married your wife or partner could register a car also , make sure it is in her name on the title in your country , as for choice of island definitly the south we have deep water , ideal for your work ,we have oil exploration happening soon off the south basin as for traffic dunedin is ultimate once i had to wait 2 minutes in a traffic jam , 130 thousand people drive home for lunch 5 minutes on a BUSY day , a very freindly city , iknow where most of the mopars live
any thing you need to know just ask and i will find out for you
moparl
sunny south dunedin
south island
new zealand
FURY
Posted 2008-01-06 5:22 PM (#109828 - in reply to #109500)

Elite Veteran

Cedric.
You sound like you would be a welcome addition to New Zealand.
For importing vehicles, Al is correct that you can only import 1 per person per 12 month period. There are ways around this. IE. Putting different cars in different people's names. Cars that are over 20 years old (eg. 1987 or older) can remain left hand drive on our roads no problem. If they are younger than 20 years old then generally they must be converted to right hand drive, though there are ways around this too. My daily driver is a left hand drive 96 Dodge Ram pickup, so I know.
There is some legal reading regarding importing of cars to be found here;
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/12.html
As far as them being legal to drive on the road you need a few things. A driver's license for yourself, a yearly registration fee of about NZ$180.00, and a Warrant Of Fitness which is renewed every 6 months, and consists of a safety test by a mechanic. First time registrations into the country require the car to go through a "Vin" test. This "Vin" test is more rigorous than the 6 monthly check, and they will check more carefully for things like seat belts, body rust, glass etc. but it is only required once then never again. I have Vinned several cars as fresh imports into NZ, so I know what they look for.
Modifications can be certified, obviously it depends what they are. A friend of mine has a 71 Challenger with a blown supercharged 426 hemi which runs 10 second quarter miles, legal for the road.
West Auckland would have the highest number of old american cars on the road that I have seen. More so than California. Off the top of my head, within 10 miles of my home live the following cars; 1957 Fury, 1958 Fury x 5, 1959 Fury x 4, 1960 Fury, 1961 Fury, 1957 Chrysler 300C x 4, 1958 Chrysler 300D, 1960 Chrysler 300F, 1961 Chrysler 300G, 1957 Dodge, 1958 Dodge, 1959 Dodge, 1960 Dodge Polara, and many many more. I belong to the Chrysler Restorers Club which meets once a month and does runs etc.
April will be an OK time to visit NZ. Our winter does not start until about June, and will be nowhere as severe as what you are used to anyway.
I live in Auckland which is the largest, most populated city in NZ. I choose to live here because the weather is better than most other NZ cities (we never, ever, get snow...), and because that is where I find the particular work that I do within high rise buildings in the city. But truthfully there are better places to live in NZ. Good access to both coasts may be an issue for you. In Auckland, I can be swimming at an east coast beach, get in my car and be surfing at a wild west coast beach within 1 hour. How many places in the world can you do that?
If you have any specific questions, do not hesitate to ask.
Assembling deep sea robots sounds like an interesting job. I would be happy to work for you.
Glenn,
57 Fury,
Auckland, New Zealand.

FURY
Posted 2008-01-07 6:27 AM (#109917 - in reply to #109693)

Elite Veteran

Hey I just thought. We could build us a deep sea robot and send it down to the Andrea Doria to check out the Norseman! How deep do your puppies go? Does it have claws for removing badges and trim etc?
Glenn.
Sisu
Posted 2008-01-14 3:00 PM (#110802 - in reply to #109500)

Inactive by Request

Hey Guys,

Sorry for my late reply, been really busy lately fixing my trucks (I´ll put two for sale on February) Thank you very much for the info! I used the links you supplied, and yes its bit funny I can only register one vehicle per year. I´m not married so its only me ruining your area, but I think I´ll first register the Custom Sierra and then the D500 (its still a project and I rather do it slowly but perfect :). One problem is, I have the big off road truck Sisu + a special PTO driven trailer with crane, and this should be used to transport the robot + gear. I would need this truck in operation immediately, hope I can still register it on my new "to be" company name and use it. Otherwise it will be my only car for a year... I already have seen Glenn's website (a year ago I got a hint from FinFury57), your car is awesome workmanship, guess I will be working really hard to earn your respect! If the other people are like you guys, I´m sure I have no trouble settling down there (the list of cars is impressive!). So, which island to choose - I haven´t yet been there so I guess I must make the trip first and then decide. To me its not a big deal, I just want nice location for home in an area where I can also create my business. I already have browsed much information through the internet, and you really seem to have the optimal living conditions for my type.

The robot (ie. ROV = Remotely Operated Vehicle) has 3000-3500m (heavy workclass) max operating depth restriction (most ROV´s in the world are made for depths less than 3000m), go any deeper and the size/materials start to add up. It has two robotic arms, its fully moveable in all directions and several cameras + lights. I haven´t yet chosen a 3D sonar, they are bit expensive so it will be last purchase made (technology is also moving fast in this area), but I´ve run simulations in PC and things should work together. One can add extra instruments depending of task, there are a long list of makers of different tools for them). The robot can search areas autonomously (or follow pre-programmed paths or pipes), without the cable - so its actually also an AUV = Autonomous Underwater Vehicle. The ROV has a build in PC (with backup chip "watching" the PC) and has already a limited image recognition (it can compare stored images versus seen objects). Nowdays you almost always have underwater GPS and gyro etc.. Normally for work tasks its operated via cable from ship/another PC (the robotic arms are not operationg in AUV mode). So it already has pretty much artificial intelligence built in, but so far I have only run tests on software simulator (which I made first). Everything regarding robots + underwater work is really interesting, thats why I want to change my job a bit (I've already worked over 5 years as CTO for oil company running the main system development team). But I´m not a rich guy, just have to work hard to make it work, everything at the moment goes to these projects. There is so much to learn and that makes it really interesting. Even if I would not succeed, I must give it a try! If something goes wrong, I call the system Skynet and rename the robot as Terminator, upload new software and we meet in the past! LOL!

I have nothing against saving nice cars from bottom of the sea - just arrange a ship for us and lets go! But we must be careful with the robotic arms, they are hydraulically operated and very powerful (this could be Glenn´s task;). But Andrea Doria sank 25.7.1956, so I guess not many parts for our cars...

Cedric

Edited by Sisu 2008-01-14 3:06 PM
Ray Bell
Posted 2008-01-14 5:58 PM (#110830 - in reply to #109500)

Expert

Good to hear you're bringing these cars to this part of the world, Sisu...

But what is a Sisu?

Oh, yeah, from what I've seen and read (never been there, unfortunately), South Island is best. A friend of mine comes from near Napier, very keen Valiant man, but he lives in Australia now. Most Kiwis eventually move to Australia.
Sisu
Posted 2008-01-14 7:36 PM (#110861 - in reply to #109500)

Inactive by Request

The only bad point, you are really far! This will be most expensive move from country to country I have ever done, I have so many tools, parts etc. I must sell two of my three trucks, and my motorbike (guess otherwise I would have to convert the steering to rear wheel...), I have realized how much stuff I have which I never use, its always "some day I´ll need that".

So why are Kiwis moving to Australia from NZ?

Sisu is a Finnish made truck, they are also famous for the axles - you know most of the road trains in Australia/NZ have Sisu planetary gear axles? When talking of military vehicles, they make really heavy duty trucks that are able to withstand the hard Finnish winters, forests, swamps and ice.

Thats the type of truck I have (see picture), really hard-core off-road truck The construction is clever, the engine sits in the center of the truck giving 50/50 weight balance, the chassis is flexible type giving really enormous range for wheel movement, for example you can lift any of the tires over 1 meter from the ground and still the others are touching the ground. Pneumatic locks on all axles, turbo-diesel engine (I have 235bhp, 950Nm engine), 7.5ton mechanical winch usable from front or rear, 5+1 gear ZF transmission, Rockwell Hi/Low gearbox, un-breakable Sisu axles, and most small parts German made. The exterior is purely functional and well thought, I like the "styling"... And its very good to drive! I could write hours and hours about the truck Man must have some hobbies

Sisu A-45

Edited by Sisu 2008-01-14 7:42 PM
moparl
Posted 2008-01-15 4:41 AM (#110920 - in reply to #110861)

Veteran

sisu there are many downfulls going to aussie , first you have to learn the aussie wave , then there is the spiders ,snakes , crocs and flies , most new zealanders go to make the big bucks , some do some come home , we visit every so often , nice place but the real scenery is in the south island of nz
no jaffas to contend with a slightly cooler climate . when you come over we will show you some cool places , drink some speights beer ,and show you some southern hospitality
see ya
moparl
dunedin
Sisu
Posted 2008-01-15 8:27 PM (#110994 - in reply to #110920)

Inactive by Request

Yeah, I absolutely hate spiders I have nothing against Australia, but as I live on the border of Switzerland, I like smaller compact countries with magnificent sceneries. Switzerland would be the one of the optimals for me, except there´s no sea and people are speaking Swiss-German (close to my area). So, NZ is the closest next to Switzerland in my mind, with mountains, forests, fields, sea etc. To me water is very important, as I grew up at Finland where are around 56.000 lakes I´m used to having water close tome. If the environment is too dry its not my style. But from the point of my future work, the whole region, Australia, NZ etc. are perfect! But hobbies are very important, so is the climate a problem for the vehicles?

Do you get any German wheat beer there?? That will be something I´ll greatly miss if its not available!!! Perhaps I bring some with me on my holidays so we can have a taste We can later visit some NZ hospitals;)

Cedric

Edited by Sisu 2008-01-15 8:29 PM
moparl
Posted 2008-01-16 3:27 AM (#111024 - in reply to #110994)

Veteran

hi cedric , how is all the planning going ? our climate is perfect for your cars , we have all the seasons still , not every year we have snow ,when it does on the flat where we live we might get 2inches ,our summer has been wonderfull up 32 degrees some days this year and minus 5 in winter no need for heated garages , as for beer we have botique bars that serve all sorts of beer , we live 20 minutes walk from the beach half an hour to the wharf 10 minutes drive your are in the country , what more can i say . here is aphoto of a recent drive down south
see ya
alan

(catlins trip.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments catlins trip.jpg (17KB - 237 downloads)
FURY
Posted 2008-01-16 5:32 AM (#111028 - in reply to #111024)

Elite Veteran

Ray is right-a lot of kiwis move to Australia. 2 most common reasons would be that they earn more over there than we do, and their weather is generally warmer and dryer. However as Alan says, we have had one of the most amazing summers so far, just like I remember them growing up. Trouble with warmer dryer weather though is that sooner or later you will have a water problem. Australia now has a huge water problem in some areas. We have no shortage of water. Beers...no problem whatsoever! What brand do you drink? I could wander down the road and choose from over 100 different chilled beers at the supermarket 5 minutes walk away, or drive 30 minutes North and swim in the Pacific ocean, or drive 40 minutes West and surf in the Tasman Sea. Both north and south islands of NZ have good points and bad points The thing I would not like about the south island is the colder weather, and the thing I hate most about the north island is the congested roads and the seemingly endless migration of people from countries with no interest in the kiwi culture, which as a stereotype of ourselves, is drinking beer, driving whatever you want as fast as you like, fixing things yourself, owning your own home, fish and chips, bacon and eggs, having a few cats and dogs around the place, and working hard so you can play hard.
I am attending an annual car show this weekend which has an attendance of over 100,000.
Here is a couple of pics of a beach I go to almost weekly, on the west coast, 40 minutes drive from home.
You would be very welcome in NZ!
Glenn.

(Bethells.jpg)

(Bethells2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Bethells.jpg (144KB - 233 downloads)
Attachments Bethells2.jpg (68KB - 228 downloads)
Ray Bell
Posted 2008-01-16 5:12 PM (#111079 - in reply to #109500)

Expert

Ha! New Zealand is so small that they have an annual race from one side to the other...

Bicycles, running on foot, canoes, they do it in twelve hours with no engines! And that's over a mountain range!
Sisu
Posted 2008-01-16 8:56 PM (#111106 - in reply to #111079)

Inactive by Request

Great, soon we´ll have 3rd World War between NZ and Australia... LOL! I think the global warming is showing everywhere, but as I only drink beer it doesn´t matter if the water runs out Thanks for the really nice pics and the info, looks I´m making a good choice. I can´t see that I would have to drop any of my hobbies, I can ski, swim, dive, drink and drive (hmm.. not together). I´m also glad I have a chance to get out from Europe, I´m getting really tired with new harder legislations popping up every year - not sure how long we can drive these old cars... Its also becoming a big rat race IMHO.

Seems you have some big cars shows, over 100.000 visitors is big in my scale! Well, you have sold me your place - I'm really looking forward to the holiday time and chance to see both islands. I already can cook fish and chips, bacon and eggs

Any GOOD chrone shops there? Guess next year I must get some chrome work done, its already hard to find a good place from here. I remember Fury had some probs with a bodyshop and the paintwork, but what do you guys think about the general level of services (car related)? Not that I would like to contract someone else to work on my cars, but I don't have the skills for interior work or tools for machining my Hemi-engine. So any specialists in these areas you could recommend?

Many thanks,
Cedric
Sisu
Posted 2008-01-16 9:17 PM (#111108 - in reply to #111106)

Inactive by Request

Btw, yesterday I also put my boat (although small) for sale, it was ex-army Assault boat, really stable and great for diving and working. I'll guess I´ll be renting small vessel there so need to carry the boat with me from here. Better save some money for the hard times, starting business anywhere is always hard so something must go. Also put all the antique I own, for sale through a dealer. There´s still so much small stuff to sell, wish I had more time...
Ray Bell
Posted 2008-01-17 5:51 PM (#111185 - in reply to #109500)

Expert

I'm sure you'll find good chrome plating shops there... some of those
Kiwis who go to Australia go back in later life with new skills
and pass them on, so this area would have benefitted from the interchange
of personnel between countries. Australia has some very good chrome
platers.

You'll be right if you like cheese there... lots of dairy produce in New Zealand
even if you only heard they had sheep.

But don't be surprised if you find beaurocracy increasing its grip either. Europe
isn't the only place where the lawmakers go mad.

Which side will you be on in that war?
1960fury
Posted 2008-01-17 6:12 PM (#111189 - in reply to #110994)

Expert 5K+

Sisu - 2008-01-15 8:27 PM

Do you get any German wheat beer there?? That will be something Ill greatly miss if its not available!!!

hey, if there's any gasoline in your blood you will miss the autobahn too!
Sisu
Posted 2008-01-17 6:45 PM (#111199 - in reply to #111189)

Inactive by Request

But Australia is not too far from NZ, so if you have good shops it shouldn't be a problem to send parts there. I already know that Australians are crazy enough to build some really awesome cars and motorbikes. Just watched one shop creating really shiny aluminium bike for the Great Biker build-off, that was really hand-made bike and IMHO should have won.

I heard there are many sheeps in Australia too, and those funny big rabbits with small ears and big legs;) Here we have many cows for the long, dark Swartzwald nights... But I usually prefer a woman (last time I saw a woman here was 1987).

I´ve been watching Australian/NZ tv from the web, its really like in the UK (except the nature). All I saw from NZ TV3 news was 2 murders, plane crash and one dead guy... Hope its not so bad!

So which side I´ll take... Hmmm.. TASMANIA

1960fury, Yeah I'll miss the autobahns...! I just lost my licence for 1 month because having 42km/h above the limit on autobahn number 5 Its expensive to have gasoline in my blood I've never got so many speeding/parking tickets in such a short time, as in here! But its been worth it I actually have nothing against Germany, so many good friends here.

Cedric
FURY
Posted 2008-01-17 6:49 PM (#111202 - in reply to #109500)

Elite Veteran

It IS getting harder and harder to get stuff done right, but after doing this for as long as I have, I certainly can tell some places that you should go to and some places to avoid. Anything to do with engines or machining is incredibly easy, there is a big range of excellent places to choose from. Chrome is getting tricky to find done right. Panel and paint is SO difficult that you are better off buying a good body and not even going there. Interior-I have a couple of real good guys who do excellent original work, fast, and reasonably priced. So it depends what you need.
You WILL miss the autobahn-we have nothing like that, and can only dream of being allowed to drive at an unlimited speed...
Just keeping it realistic...
Glenn.
(PS. Oz and NZ have ALWAYS been at war...!)

Great, soon we´ll have 3rd World War between NZ and Australia... LOL! I think the global warming is showing everywhere, but as I only drink beer it doesn´t matter if the water runs out Thanks for the really nice pics and the info, looks I´m making a good choice. I can´t see that I would have to drop any of my hobbies, I can ski, swim, dive, drink and drive (hmm.. not together). I´m also glad I have a chance to get out from Europe, I´m getting really tired with new harder legislations popping up every year - not sure how long we can drive these old cars... Its also becoming a big rat race IMHO.

Seems you have some big cars shows, over 100.000 visitors is big in my scale! Well, you have sold me your place - I'm really looking forward to the holiday time and chance to see both islands. I already can cook fish and chips, bacon and eggs

Any GOOD chrone shops there? Guess next year I must get some chrome work done, its already hard to find a good place from here. I remember Fury had some probs with a bodyshop and the paintwork, but what do you guys think about the general level of services (car related)? Not that I would like to contract someone else to work on my cars, but I don't have the skills for interior work or tools for machining my Hemi-engine. So any specialists in these areas you could recommend?

Many thanks,
Cedric
Sisu
Posted 2008-01-17 8:35 PM (#111218 - in reply to #109500)

Inactive by Request

I also prefer to do the bodywork myself, I give no trust to anyone else. I try to get as many things done here as possible, but as I also have the robot project and the Sisu truck - time & money is always the problem. I bet good chrome is hard everywhere, due the legislation is hard to start a new chroming company, and time is money. Good chrome takes a long time, I´m not sure if everyone willing to pay for that.

What comes to the autobahns, they are really great - in case of accident somewhere you may have a huge traffic jam, but sometimes its possible to maintain really high speeds. My best ever was with my motorbike (Honda CBR1100 XX), 7 hours from the very south (Lörrach) to north (Trävemunde) in 7 hours incl. all the stops at gasoline stations (with that speed you need to stop about 5 times during the trip). That trip was around 900km (560 miles). In most areas there are speed limits, but in places where there are no limits and the roads are clear you can achieve really high speeds, my record is 300km/h (ie. 186mph) with motorbike (that was the top speed), give Kawa ZZR1400 and 200mph is possible. Here you got to have a fast car or bike, at least once. In my area many people die per year riding their bikes and having accidents on the mountain roads. So, I know that to live longer its better to have slow cars, slow speed and no motorbike;)

So if everything goes wrong after moving to NZ, I´ll start my own bodyshop For the big war, I´m prepared - like I told, the robot can be easily customized for killing the human kind

Cedric

Edited by Sisu 2008-01-17 8:39 PM
56royaldodge
Posted 2008-01-18 11:31 AM (#111287 - in reply to #111218)

Account deactivated by owner's request

So what are your plans for this underwater robot? Are you to become a modern day pirate, trolling the depths of the sea looking for booty? Or perfect your design, make several and sell them to foreign governments? Or become a professional sea explorer/retrieval service for hire?

It sounds like fun, good luck!
Sisu
Posted 2008-01-19 11:03 AM (#111454 - in reply to #111287)

Inactive by Request

56royaldodge also sent me PM, so I already replied him... The robot topic is perhaps not so interesting to everyone.

Cedric
Sisu
Posted 2008-02-06 8:59 PM (#113852 - in reply to #111454)

Inactive by Request

Hey its really quiet in NZ&Australia! Whats up there! You spent too much time on the beach guys;)

Cedric
moparl
Posted 2008-02-07 12:35 AM (#113880 - in reply to #113852)

Veteran

quiet what do you mean , ihave working hard in my garage morning lunch times and late into the night lately getting my 60 plymouth convertible on the road for summer , today it happened , it is now legal on the road 7 years of dodgey driving to car shows and my wedding ,plus test? drives around the block all over just need to finish some panel work and paint one day , next is the 61 dodge phoenix 2dr , when you are in town drop in and i will shout you a speights if i have time , still painting the house , helping a freind on his mustang , bored what does that mean? + the wife always has sugesstions on more work where does it end
see ya
alan
sunny dunedin
FURY
Posted 2008-02-07 2:32 AM (#113885 - in reply to #113880)

Elite Veteran

Well we went on a cruise to a car show yesterday. Just a small one, maybe 200 cars. Only a couple finned MoPars, but enjoy the sunny photos anyway.
Working assembling my Fury every chance I get, in between holding down a full time job and running a small business....
Glenn.

(Cadillac-57 hardtop.jpg)

(Cadillac-57 hardtop-front.jpg)

(Cadillac-58 hardtop-front1.jpg)

(Cadillac-58 hardtop-rear.jpg)

(Cadillac-60 hardtop-rear.jpg)

(Carshow.jpg)

(Carshow1.jpg)

(Carshow2.jpg)

(Dodge-61 hardtop.jpg)

(Dodge-61 hardtop1.jpg)

(Dodge-61 hardtop-front.jpg)

(Dodge Coronet Superbee-69.jpg)

(Dodge Charger-66.jpg)

(Dodge Coronet Superbee-69-front.jpg)

(Dodge Monaco-71-Waitangi cruise 08 rear.jpg)

(Dodge Monaco 2dhdtp 71.jpg)

(Dodge-Murray P.jpg)

(Plodge-57 4 door.jpg)

(Plymouth Roadrunner.jpg)

(Pontiac.jpg)

(Pontiac wagon.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Cadillac-57 hardtop.jpg (75KB - 213 downloads)
Attachments Cadillac-57 hardtop-front.jpg (91KB - 218 downloads)
Attachments Cadillac-58 hardtop-front1.jpg (90KB - 216 downloads)
Attachments Cadillac-58 hardtop-rear.jpg (76KB - 214 downloads)
Attachments Cadillac-60 hardtop-rear.jpg (79KB - 207 downloads)
Attachments Carshow.jpg (76KB - 211 downloads)
Attachments Carshow1.jpg (90KB - 199 downloads)
Attachments Carshow2.jpg (74KB - 204 downloads)
Attachments Dodge-61 hardtop.jpg (88KB - 205 downloads)
Attachments Dodge-61 hardtop1.jpg (84KB - 202 downloads)
Attachments Dodge-61 hardtop-front.jpg (93KB - 204 downloads)
Attachments Dodge Coronet Superbee-69.jpg (88KB - 213 downloads)
Attachments Dodge Charger-66.jpg (80KB - 214 downloads)
Attachments Dodge Coronet Superbee-69-front.jpg (93KB - 204 downloads)
Attachments Dodge Monaco-71-Waitangi cruise 08 rear.jpg (81KB - 212 downloads)
Attachments Dodge Monaco 2dhdtp 71.jpg (83KB - 206 downloads)
Attachments Dodge-Murray P.jpg (84KB - 210 downloads)
Attachments Plodge-57 4 door.jpg (87KB - 213 downloads)
Attachments Plymouth Roadrunner.jpg (91KB - 197 downloads)
Attachments Pontiac.jpg (88KB - 220 downloads)
Attachments Pontiac wagon.jpg (82KB - 220 downloads)
Sisu
Posted 2008-02-07 10:18 PM (#113984 - in reply to #109500)

Inactive by Request

moparl, congrats! Would be nice to see your car! Cool... I was sure pushing you guys a bit will make you write something, LOL! What means " i will shout you a speights if i have time "?

Fury, unbelievably nice pics & cars! The quality of cars seems to be very high there. And no rain! Seems cars are all(?) left hand drive, so conversions are not popular? Thats also a good size for a meeting, I bet the atmosphere was great.

Yes yes yes, you are the lucky ones... Sheeshh...
FURY
Posted 2008-02-07 10:43 PM (#113993 - in reply to #113984)

Elite Veteran

LOL! What means " i will shout you a speights if i have time "? "shout" is a local slang for give you one for free, "Speights" is a popular local beer, very popular the further south you go in NZ. In fact, their marketing logo is "pride of the south".
Conversions are not as popular as they used to be. Probably because it costs about $25K to put the steering wheel on the right (wrong???) side. There is no issue leaving it on the left if the car is over 20 years old (1988 or newer). I drive a LHD car as a daily driver, every day, and find no problems except drive through burger joints etc, where you just have to reach a bit further (or reverse through...).
Still no rain in ages....very unusual though....
Glenn.
Sisu
Posted 2008-02-09 3:35 PM (#114210 - in reply to #113993)

Inactive by Request

Thanks for clarification - now I know how to get a beer in NZ! This information could save my life!

No rain there? With my luck it turns out to be Sahara when I'm there. So guess I then shout some Speights and try flirting with local girls with my attracting accent But the time is running fast, not too long and I can book the tickets!
Ray Bell
Posted 2008-02-13 12:44 PM (#114825 - in reply to #109500)

Expert

Those Kiwi girls are soooo nice!

We had a lot of 'Sahara' weather here in Australia, but it ended recently after about eight years. Now we seem to have nothing but rain.

When it comes to 'shouting' beer, you will always find that it costs more to be involved in a round of 'shouting' than when you buy your own! But at least you will make plenty of friends.
Sisu
Posted 2008-02-14 11:44 PM (#115034 - in reply to #114825)

Inactive by Request

So the plan is to shout a round of Speights! I've never met a real Kiwi girl before, so you got me interested

Btw, in this small village we have one Australian! I met him just on last week in the local pub - he married a German girl years ago and moved here, he's musical artist and plays trombone/jazz. Thats wierd for some coming from AU! He was so German nowdays, that even I speak better English, haha!

Cedric

Edited by Sisu 2008-02-14 11:45 PM
FURY
Posted 2008-02-15 12:48 AM (#115040 - in reply to #115034)

Elite Veteran

He's australian...you probably spoke better english than him when he landed....aye Ray...
moparl
Posted 2008-02-15 1:47 AM (#115042 - in reply to #115040)

Veteran

cedric stay away from those aussies we watched a movie the other night based on true events ,very dogey people this guy murdered tourists in the out backs after dimobilising ther vehicles and offering them aussi beer - darn sure it was beer xxx or tooheys , anyway he had a collection of vehicles mainly
57 dodge wagons taken off the tourists after he killed them , damm sure i wont be cruising in my plymouth over there . they have a convict back ground in australia sent from jolly old england in the old days , years later the sun has distorted the way of life and sand is in almost every thing even the coffee,
i think ray is a survivor due to owning a mopar , you would be safe with him , let us know when you are in town ,i will show you some dunedin girls and will shout you the first round , due to the value of your dollar the next 5 rounds will be yours , i will supply the extras ie fish n chips taxi and couch for the night and tour of the city
come soon
come soon
alan
moparl
Posted 2008-02-28 3:48 AM (#117244 - in reply to #115042)

Veteran

sisu whats the story have you gone cold on the big oe to nz , please inform us on your intentions , ihave young girls waiting on your arivall to the big apple
sunny dunedin
see ya
alan
Sisu
Posted 2008-03-05 9:20 AM (#118337 - in reply to #109500)

Inactive by Request

Keep the beers in a cool place for me ...and the girls in warm place!
First I was very scared when I read your story about the crazy Australian who killed guys like me who have station wagons. But I still want to come, I just realized I have to cut the roof of my Sierra to make it convertible! I've been sick for over a week, nothing serious just the heart beat was fast and I had high temperature (no I don't use drugs), doctor said its stress but I think the best cure for stress is work So I'm still coming there, can't wait to get out from here. I'm not sure whats wrong with this country, but nowdays I meet police every week (either they look for me or my German neighbour, LOL) - they always want to give me a ticket because of minor offence or something. Last Saturday they took the licence plates off & papers off my Range Rover and motorbike - reason I haven't notified them fast enough that I have moved to a new apartment. For this they actually send an undercover cop to ask me questions and then he told he's a police officer. What they think, I'm Al Qaida? So, I'm getting enough of this bulls**t, no way I would ever form my company in this country. I'm getting fed up of these rules, laws etc. bulls**t. Of course I'm honest guy, pay my taxes etc., but I'm only a one guy running a business (thank god registered in UK!) and I just don't have to time to join the Hitler Jugend...
moparl
Posted 2008-03-06 3:21 AM (#118507 - in reply to #118337)

Veteran

sisu good to hear that you are still alive mayby not totally well , but still kicking , we are looking forward to your visit to the mainland the most important part of nz where we supply all the power to the jaffas and other minoritys in the pig island , we actually have alarge power cable holding both the islands together ,hopefully it will break and we will be free .i have a brother inlaw who is a cop ,for a small fee i could probaly get you off some offences , not that idrove my 3 cars to our usa day last saturday 1 only legally on the road both 61 dodges totally illegal , but who cares ? the cops are usually looking for boy racers driving pieces of crap jappas ,leaving us alone .keep that roof on the sierra it may come in handy in winter unless you want a mobile plunge pool
i have a friend with a 39 plymouth coupe 440 powered he hasnt registered it in 12 years , they were at the pub about 20 miles from home no worries .
come south where good old boys still cruise , we dont share our sheep like they do in auckland , drink speights have barbacues for tea and talk mopars
minus the sand
honest moparl
sunny dunedin
south island
the mainland
new zealand
moparl
Posted 2008-03-28 8:48 PM (#122699 - in reply to #118507)

Veteran

cedric where are you , ihave just aquired a wine fridge ,in which we can hold a good supply of speights in , you havnt got cold feet have you? ,have you booked your holiday yet ? at work this morning i was talking to one of our local customers , he owns a ship and does expedtions and off shore charters ,he is very knowledgeable of our coast and surrounding waters , he would be an exellent contact to speak to . recently got to salvage the overturned french catamaran off our coast , should have let it sink after what they done to our rainbow warrior ship years ago .but dont get me staRTED ON THAT SUBJECT
any way have you sold your fleet yet and we look forward to seeing yourself in dunedin soon
alan
ps here is his email address a.m.macleod@xtra.co.nz (alan macleod) easy to get on with very knowledgeable
see ya

(DSC00348.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC00348.JPG (123KB - 190 downloads)
Sisu
Posted 2008-03-30 3:42 AM (#122867 - in reply to #109500)

Inactive by Request

I thought wine fridges were for gays! LOL, just joking! Thanks for asking, I haven't yet booked the flights since I'm again sick (since week ago) and when I'll be ok (or close to normal) I have to finish a small work project before I'm free to go. As well, my mothers condition is not so great at the moment (she's 75), she had a stroke recently and needs daily care. But I already have my travel cases open...
Yes of course would be interesting to get to know such contacts, like your customer. Perhaps we can meet him once I'm there? I'm used to bit colder and murky waters - so its going to be great seeing further than only few meters underwater. Talking of Rainbow Warrior (don't get me started!), its crazy to think '85 the French Agents actually sank the ship, and we are living on the modern age! They were the times the French (lets only accuse the President) were doing those pointless nuclear tests at the Pacific Ocean.
Btw1, Thats a nice picture - hope the brown river next to the car is not coming from the engine In this parking lot, it seems to be the only American (real) car!
Btw2, Thanks for the email address
Sisu
Posted 2008-04-14 1:54 PM (#125350 - in reply to #109500)

Inactive by Request

Guys, change of plans

My 75-years old mother recently got stroke and as a result she got a mild dementia which will slowly worsen. As she needs more care and family around her (I'm the only one), she has to live in the same country as I do. Unfortunately - I get permission to New Zealand, but she doesn't - because of her sickness. NZ is not accepting people who have a decease or permanent illness that requires constant health care. There is no way around it, even if I pay everything its not accepted.

As the business what I want do, requires deep sea water and my requirement is an English speaking country - there are not many options. Moving inside Europe is easy, so I had to make arrangements to move to England. Actually today I received confirmation I got an apartment from East Anglia, and I'll be moving there on this weekend!

My plan B was moving to Finland, but because I found the apartment from UK so quickly, I decided its the most convenient option. And England already has a lot of water around it

I'm very sorry about the change of plans, but as you can see - I have no options, without complete permits its not possible.

Cedric

Edited by Sisu 2008-04-14 1:56 PM
Sisu
Posted 2008-04-14 4:05 PM (#125376 - in reply to #125350)

Inactive by Request

So here are the steps on gaining the NZ residence, my mother fails in the first step "Health" and thats it then..

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/nzopportunities/williqualify/gaining...
Rebels-59
Posted 2008-04-14 6:40 PM (#125396 - in reply to #109500)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Cedric..
I am Really Sorry to hear about your Mother,,
Where abouts in East Anglia are you Moving Too,, ????????????? That is where i live..!!!!!!!!!!
Don,t Panic and change your plans because of ME though ... LOL.. I would love to meet up and see your FL Cars.. And over here you can have as many as you want, Also Insurance is Really Cheap on a Collector Car Policy, So bring them ALL with you..
Sisu
Posted 2008-04-14 6:57 PM (#125407 - in reply to #125396)

Inactive by Request

Hey! Bury St. Edmunds - is that far from your place? Once in the early 90's I lived at Sudbury, so I chose the same area due to nostalgic reasons I have good memories, but on last trip I realized you have about zillion cars more on the roads

I thought I don't register my Sierra here at all, I just transport it to England and try getting it trough M.O.T. like it is. I guess thats not hard if the car is completely original and everything is functioning properly? At least they can't make me change my speedometer to kilometers per hour!! And they can read the US Title, so I don't need a translator...

Rebels-59
Posted 2008-04-14 7:04 PM (#125413 - in reply to #109500)

Check Reponse on UK Region.. And you will have No Problem getting the Cars Registered Here,, We are more Relaxed than Other Euro Countrys.. I do All M.O.T work, And these Cars are Exempt from MANY things..
Rebels-59
Posted 2008-04-14 7:12 PM (#125416 - in reply to #125407)

Sisu - 2008-04-14 11:57 PM

Hey! Bury St. Edmunds - is that far from your place?

I reckon about 40 Miles
Sisu
Posted 2008-04-14 7:28 PM (#125421 - in reply to #125416)

Inactive by Request

(Thats many beers away)

Edited by Sisu 2008-04-14 7:29 PM
Tcz
Posted 2008-04-18 7:33 AM (#126098 - in reply to #109500)

Hey Cedric, are you in Aoteroa now if your in the south now you'll probably see the first dump of snow. cheers bro nice
Dodge.
Tc
Sisu
Posted 2008-04-21 4:44 PM (#126574 - in reply to #109500)

Inactive by Request

Tc, sorry I think you got me wrong - I was in England during the weekend! All the dreams about NZ went to rubbish bin... But I got to be looking at the positive side, at least the moving is bit easier since its now only 600 miles from Germany, not 6000 miles!

Cedric

Edited by Sisu 2008-04-21 4:45 PM
Ray Bell
Posted 2008-04-21 5:12 PM (#126578 - in reply to #109500)

Expert

6,000 miles and change...

About 4,000 miles of change. It has to be 10,000 miles, possibly 12,000!
Sisu
Posted 2008-04-21 5:23 PM (#126580 - in reply to #126578)

Inactive by Request

darn I'm far from you! Michelin Map couldn't make me a direction / distance calculation from Germany to NZ
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)