The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need help trying to fix gas gauge...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

Dodge55CustomRoyal
Posted 2024-06-10 8:04 PM (#635619)
Subject: Need help trying to fix gas gauge...

I watched some videos on YouTube and they said it's probably either the gauge or the sending unit. When I turn the key on the gauge goes from below E to just above it. When I removed the wire above the hole in the middle of the trunk and then turned on the key the gauge didn't move at all. Does that mean anything? Also, how do you remove the pieces above the hole in the trunk? There is nothing in the factory shop manual that covers this. I'm obviously not very mechanically inclined so I need a simple and easy fix or I guess I'll have to skip it. Thanks in advance....

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1965.jpeg (227KB - 40 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Powerflite
Posted 2024-06-10 9:18 PM (#635620 - in reply to #635619)
Subject: Re: Need help trying to fix gas gauge...

Expert 5K+

If you remove the wire, it should read empty, so that is fine. You didn't say how much fuel is actually in the tank. Try removing the wire again and grounding it briefly. Have a friend check the gauge while you connect it to a good ground for 2 seconds. It should read over-full. If it does, the gauge is probably fine. Other things to check: Make sure the gauge housing has a good ground connection. Check the resistance of the sender. Check the float on the sender to make sure it floats and isn't full of fuel. Apply a known resistance to the wire (at the empty and full settings) and see where the gauge goes.
56D500boy
Posted 2024-06-11 2:29 AM (#635629 - in reply to #635620)

Exner Expert 10K+

56D500boy - 2018-06-04 8:17 PM

I can't help you with the 6V vs 12V thing but I can tell you how my 56 Dodge fuel gauge works. The sender gets power via one wire that is "hot" when the key is in the ACC or RUN position. So that is your first thing to check. Are you getting 6V (in your case) when the ignition key is turned to ACC or RUN? IF not, your issue is between the ignition and the sender.

Have you checked your new sender to see that it is creating a variable resistance as the float level changes?

If you are getting 6V to the sender, is the fuel tank properly grounded? From the factory, the fuel tank is grounded via the hanger straps and/or whatever else. I was warned that sometimes in our zeal to "fix" things we paint fuel tanks that weren't painted before and, as a result, we can cause poor grounds. If you've reno'd your tank, the issue might be a lack of ground. The solution would be to create a ground strap for the fuel tank to the body/frame, perhaps a small self-tapper and a length of wire from the thickest edge seam on the tank (something that won't cause a leak) or something better and more creative (but still safe).

(Maybe scraping some of the paint off the painted tank and attaching a magnet with a screw clip and wire).

Something like this, only modified:

Reference 56 Dodge Wiring Diagram

From your photo, I see too much paint in areas that could affect the grounding of the sender. I would remove the sender and clean off the painted areas (back to raw metal).

The sender is held into the tank by a threaded ring that you can loosen (and later tighten) with a 1" wooden dowel and a rubber mallet.

Here is an example sender showing the removable ring.

And your's (based on your photo):

(DaveDsCustomRoyalSedan_FuelGaugeSenderInSitu.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DaveDsCustomRoyalSedan_FuelGaugeSenderInSitu.jpg (205KB - 29 downloads)
Dodge55CustomRoyal
Posted 2024-06-11 1:22 PM (#635634 - in reply to #635619)

FIXED!!! My 80 year old neighbor who worked for IBM for 40 years came over and determined that the two pieces of cork in the sending unit were not floating after 70 years. I went down to the local Ace Hardware and bought two corks for $1.75 each and put them in and now the gauge works fine so we fixed it for less than $4. Thanks to Dave and Powerflite for their insight....

Edited by Dodge55CustomRoyal 2024-06-11 2:32 PM
56D500boy
Posted 2024-06-11 3:43 PM (#635636 - in reply to #635634)

Exner Expert 10K+

Well that was "easy". I had to replace my cork float on my 56 Dodge back when I first got the car in 2016. I got my corks at Michael's (arts and crafts store).

I coated the new corks with some kind of fuel-compatible sealant that was much like a varnish of some type. It was supposed to keep the gasoline from soaking
into the corks.

I haven't checked in the intervening 8 years - probably because my gas gauge is supposed to be working.

BTW, there is supposed to be a rubber cover that fits into the trunk floor above the sender. The part number of this cover is 1597 573 (or 1597573 when doing a Google search, etc)

Here is my trunk floor (rubber plug is off) showing how the wire is supposed to be tucked under a protective shield.

Edited by 56D500boy 2024-06-11 4:22 PM

(56DodgeTrunkFloorAfterCleaningAndPaintingShowingChannelForFuelLevelSenderWire.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 56DodgeTrunkFloorAfterCleaningAndPaintingShowingChannelForFuelLevelSenderWire.jpg (69KB - 35 downloads)
56D500boy
Posted 2024-06-27 2:26 AM (#635863 - in reply to #635636)

Exner Expert 10K+

There seems to be a 1573 573 on ebay at the moment.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145855533242?

Dodge55CustomRoyal
Posted 2024-07-01 2:47 PM (#635930 - in reply to #635619)

Dave.............I already have one of those plastic things in the trunk. The gas gauge works fine so next is an oil change. I ordered a couple of those Wix cartridge oil filters from Amazon this morning. Should I use some kind of Shell motor oil? If so what weight? Does the engine hold 5 quarts? Is there anything else I should know before I do this? Thanks...........Dave
Dodge55CustomRoyal
Posted 2024-07-01 2:52 PM (#635931 - in reply to #635619)

Pic...

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2049.jpeg (181KB - 35 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)