The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

VIN Plate question
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

lanispet
Posted 2005-11-09 9:33 PM (#43186)
Subject: VIN Plate question

Regular

Greetings, all...

Wasn't sure what to file this under, so I thought I'd put it here. My newly acquired '60 New Yorker has an issue. It may be a major one. Hence my question...

I have seen some reference to the stainless VIN plates being prone to coming loose. On my '63, it appears that it's spot-welded to the door jamb. On the '60, it's secured by some rather incorrect-looking sheet metal screws, and shows signs of having been removed and re-mounted upside down. This worries me greatly, as the car will need to be verified by the DMV before i can register it in this state since I brought it in from a non-title state. Any input on this? I don't suppose these cars had the VIN stamped anywhere else?

Thanks,

...dave
Top of the page Bottom of the page
forwardlookparts
Posted 2005-11-09 9:46 PM (#43188 - in reply to #43186)
Subject: RE: VIN Plate question

Expert

Yes, this should be riveted. Your VIN should start out with:
8 - Chrysler
3 - New Yorker
0 - 1960 model year
3 - Jefferson Plant (that's where New Yorkers were built)
The next six numbers will be the build sequence. I don't believe these can be found anywhere else.
58 DESOTOS RULE
Posted 2005-11-10 6:35 AM (#43216 - in reply to #43186)

Expert

The vin plate should be riveted. I've never seen one from the factory with screws. As to whether the number is placed anywhere else, I can't speak for the 1960 Chrysler but I once had a 1959 Dodge Coronet with a missing vin plate. The number was also stamped on the body plate underneath the hood in the engine compartment. That's what I used to register it with DMV in Wisconsin and that seemed to work out well for me.

Edited by 58 DESOTOS RULE 2005-11-10 6:37 AM
beachbons
Posted 2005-11-10 4:55 PM (#43269 - in reply to #43186)

Here's a link to a similar discussion. http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4783&p...

I also remember someone here refering to some Chrysler products not having a door vin plate installed originally but the holes were always there. The reason I remember this is because my 59 Dodge does not have a door plate, but, because it is original paint & I'm the second owner there should be no reason why it is gone. I'll keep searching for the other discussion link.

Greg
TailFinGary
Posted 2005-11-10 5:57 PM (#43274 - in reply to #43186)

Veteran

Hi Dave,
I have to agree with the other folks, the VIN is not stamped anywhere else on the body. Also the VIN plate would have been riveted to the door jamb like in this picture of a 300F:
http://www.crossrams.com/300fbody2/cwdata/MVC-175S.html

BUT, if you have the original build sheet which was usually stuffed under the front or back seat, it will have the VIN and maybe your DMV will believe that is the VIN for you car. The following bit of detective work might convince them.
The body number is stamped on the rear cross member just below the gas filler opening. It will probably be stamped upside down like this picture. Look under the bumper.
http://chrysler300club.com/jhstuff/300fbody/cwdata/MVC-079S.html
Here's a closeup of one you can so you can read it:
http://www.crossrams.com/300fbody2/cwdata/MVC-173S.html

The last 8 digits of that body number will match the "SO NUMBER" on the data plate that is mounted up higher in the driver door jamb. Here's the data plate that corresponds to the body number listed above:
http://www.crossrams.com/300fbody2/cwdata/MVC-174S.html

For some more trivia, the SO NUMBER listed here "0301 1470" means the car was scheduled to be built on 0301 (March 1, 1960).

Well there I go again, telling someone how to build a watch when they only asked me what time it was! Hey Dave send me a private message so we can trade 60 NYer photos!

Gary
lanispet
Posted 2005-11-11 9:39 AM (#43313 - in reply to #43186)

Regular

That is some great information, everyone- thank you!
I will check the seats for a build sheet this weekend. I suspect that if I do find anything, though, I'm not going to like it...
Here is a link to the auction that i bought the car from... if you read the listing closely, you'll see why i'm so concerned This also has most of the pictures that i have of the car.
Gary- i would love to trade pics- i can take anything you're interested in, and there are a couple of detail shots i would really like to see, as the car has been hacked on a little bit over the years, and i need to figure out how to correct a couple of things. Right now the auction pics are about all i have, as i picked a bad time of year to purchase the car and haven't had much time to play with it, but i should have more time this weekend. My email is dave@63chrysler.com

Thanks,

...dave
TailFinGary
Posted 2005-11-11 1:24 PM (#43325 - in reply to #43313)

Veteran

Hi Dave,

I see what you mean about not liking the answers to your questions. The VIN he posted in the auction is for a Windsor. Probably the one he pictured as a future auction. So you might have to use that Windsor VIN when you title the car. Not really a big deal. After all, I can't image the DMV people are going to have VIN information that old. So they aren't going to know a Windsor VIN from a New Yorker VIN. Nor will they know that VIN plates were supposed to be riveted on in 1960. If they question it, just tell them that's how they did it back then, or just play dumb.

I'll email you some of my pics tonight.

Gary
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)