The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

58 imperial wont start without using starting fluid
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

51coronet
Posted 2016-09-14 10:59 PM (#521282)
Subject: 58 imperial wont start without using starting fluid

Extreme Veteran

I have rebuilt the carter on this thing twice now. The accelerator pump doesn't seem to function well until the car is warmed up. I haven't driven it yet I am just doing some
fixes before its road worthy.

It wont start unless I pour gas down the carb or use starting fluid. It idles fine. a quick press on the pedal it almost stalls out unless it is plenty warmed up. I climbed
up in the bay with the fuel pump on (I installed an electric one in here for easy starts...hah) and pressed the pedal and do not see any fuel being squirt in the manifold.
When I took it off for the 2nd rebuild the fuel bowls had plenty fuel so its fine there.

I am inclined to think it is related to the accelerator circuit since no fuel squirts with engine off. All the passages seem to be clear of debris I used 125 psi and hit every
passage with the carb disassembled. For those that know these carbs, is the accelerator pump what will drive fuel into the intake when the engine isn't running? Obviously
the bowls would have to have fuel in them.

Thanks for any help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
59 in Calif
Posted 2016-09-15 5:19 AM (#521294 - in reply to #521282)
Subject: Re: 58 imperial wont start without using starting fluid

Elite Veteran

Is there enough travel on the accel pump linkage and yes that pump will squirt gas as long as there is fuel in the bowels. Jerry
1960fury
Posted 2016-09-15 9:29 AM (#521302 - in reply to #521282)
Subject: RE: 58 imperial wont start without using starting fluid

Expert 5K+

51coronet - 2016-09-14 10:59 PM

I have rebuilt the carter on this thing twice now. The accelerator pump doesn't seem to function well until the car is warmed up. I haven't driven it yet I am just doing some
fixes before its road worthy.

It wont start unless I pour gas down the carb or use starting fluid. It idles fine. a quick press on the pedal it almost stalls out unless it is plenty warmed up. I climbed
up in the bay with the fuel pump on (I installed an electric one in here for easy starts...hah) and pressed the pedal and do not see any fuel being squirt in the manifold.
When I took it off for the 2nd rebuild the fuel bowls had plenty fuel so its fine there.

I am inclined to think it is related to the accelerator circuit since no fuel squirts with engine off. All the passages seem to be clear of debris I used 125 psi and hit every
passage with the carb disassembled. For those that know these carbs, is the accelerator pump what will drive fuel into the intake when the engine isn't running? Obviously
the bowls would have to have fuel in them.

Thanks for any help.

an engine would start without the accelerator pump. just the closed choke makes the mixture rich enough. so its probably a choke problem. of course the faulty accelerator pump needs to be addressed too.
51coronet
Posted 2016-09-17 9:53 PM (#521503 - in reply to #521282)
Subject: Re: 58 imperial wont start without using starting fluid

Extreme Veteran

FIXED!! I found a few problems when I removed the carter and opened it up for the 3rd time. The accelerator plunger wasn't seated in the bore correctly. Had to let it dry so the gasket would shrink enough to fit back into the bore.
Other problem was a brass needle valve which is part of the accelerator pump circuit (located under the accelerator pump nozzles) was stuck closed with some calcium looking buildup around it preventing any movement.
Simple to overlook or not see this thing when doing a rebuild. Its about the only valve you cant see. These carbs are pretty simple after I examined it closer this 3rd time. Anyone having carb problems should be able to fix them easy enough, just takes a little patience and understanding.

60 Imp
Posted 2016-09-20 7:15 AM (#521678 - in reply to #521282)
Subject: RE: 58 imperial wont start without using starting fluid

Nice work Jason, thanks for the feedback.

Steve.

Edited by 60 Imp 2016-09-20 7:16 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)