The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Steering wheel removal 56 savoy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

Gunbunny119
Posted 2016-09-27 6:11 AM (#522161)
Subject: Steering wheel removal 56 savoy

Morning. Got my turn signal switch in the mail and about to install it. Don't have my service manual yet and wanted to double check w you guys before I dove in. Anything unique about this steering wheel setup before I get my puller set and commence to yanking the steering wheel? Have removed countless steering wheels from 60s and up cars, but 50s stuff is new to me. My luck, I may end up breaking some plastic horn retainer clip that's irreplaceable or something. Just wanted to double check first. Car is a 56 savoy. Thanks again.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Ray
Posted 2016-09-27 10:20 AM (#522164 - in reply to #522161)
Subject: RE: Steering wheel removal 56 savoy

Extreme Veteran

Up early, huh?

I guess that it is not much help to comment if I have never done that exact job, (yet) but like you, I have removed many steering wheels and I can not imagine anything rearing its ugly head. Technology, fortunately had not yet taken over, so full speed ahead!

Only replying out of shared interests, the 55-56 questions sometimes seem to get short shift, so we need to support each other.
DepsilonD
Posted 2016-09-27 12:00 PM (#522169 - in reply to #522161)
Subject: Re: Steering wheel removal 56 savoy

Elite Veteran

Nothing unique to removal at all. You press and spin the horn center to remove it (I cant recall which direction). Then there will be three screws holding on the horn ring to remove. It has been a while so I cant recall what else needs to be removed that that my be it. Then there is just a big nut holding the wheel on. Loosen the nut but leave it threaded on a little bit for safety before you use the puller. If the steering wheel had never been removed, it my pop with some force.

-Dave
Gunbunny119
Posted 2016-09-27 12:01 PM (#522170 - in reply to #522161)

I was an automotive locksmith for a handful of years. Obviously, there was no reason for me to go inside the column on a pre-1968 vehicle where the ignitions were commonly dash mounted. In our business, we always dreaded going inside the column on Corvettes, as they had a habit of exploding in your hands if you weren't familiar with the Vette column. Exploratory surgery is scary when replacement parts are so hard to come by as they are in our FL Mopars. I'll let you know how the fight goes.

Edited by Gunbunny119 2016-09-27 12:02 PM
Gunbunny119
Posted 2016-09-27 12:05 PM (#522171 - in reply to #522161)

...and thanks for the information, DepsilionD. Reassuring to know that there's nothing particularly unique about the column I need to be worried about. Does the horn button commonly survive the process? I've taken apart so many 80s Saginaw columns that once the little rubber horn shims were separated the horn never worked right again. It got to where the horn rebuild kit was part of the job because I got tired of the callbacks on the stupid GM horns
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)