The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Funny Video of My Big-Tailed Beast
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

Sonoramic60
Posted 2016-07-23 1:30 PM (#517428)
Subject: Funny Video of My Big-Tailed Beast

Expert

Lads --
The NHRA Mile-High Nationals at Bandimere Raceway in Denver are sponsored by MOPAR and are kicked off by the MOPAR Block Party in the suburb of Golden. A couple of streets downtown are blocked off for food and drink booths, parts vendors, bands, MOPAR race cars, various celebrities, and what are termed "MOPAR Racing Heritage Vehicles." This year it was held last Thursday (July 21) and I was invited to bring my '60 SonoRamic Commando equipped Fury (AKA "The Big-Tailed Beast") to be one of the heritage cars. To get an idea of what was going on this year, I surfed the web and came across this time-lapse video probably shot by security camera of the 2012 party which I also attended. It's only 1 minute, 41 seconds and it's kind of amusing watching people scurry around.
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMmT2c9brPA
Joe Godec
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Lancer Mike
Posted 2016-07-25 12:30 PM (#517561 - in reply to #517428)
Subject: RE: Funny Video of My Big-Tailed Beast

Neat, Joe! I even saw Tony and Ivy talking to you for a few minutes!  I should have gone to the big block party this year - but I didn't fit it in.

Sonoramic60
Posted 2016-07-26 1:17 PM (#517642 - in reply to #517561)
Subject: RE: Funny Video of My Big-Tailed Beast

Expert

Mike --
It was better than I had expected. It wasn't exactly a cool day (high 90s) and the Beast doesn't do well in stop-and-go traffic in the heat, but once we got in and parked it was fun. The Bandimere guys helped me back in (no outside rearview mirrors -- I'm leaving it just as it came from the factory). I was a bit concerned that it would be overwhelmed by its neighbors -- a 69 1/2 Dodge Super Bee 440 6-Pack and 70 Super Bird immediately to iis west and a 70 Cuda just across. However, I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of attention it got. Not only from the run of the mill spectators, but since Chrysler was sponsoring the Mile-High National Drags as well as the block party, corporation brass and technical staff were all over the place. While all the MOPAR types were well aware of the ram induction engines, none seemed very familiar with them being in '60 Plymouths. Thus, I was very busy discussing such things as production numbers of HiPo '60 Plymmers and present survivors. Also, they were fascinated with my tales of campaigning that one back in 1960-1964. Another item of discussion revolved about horsepower figures, which gave me ample opportunity to mount my soapbox and expound on my belief that the '60-'61 ram 383 was underrated. This was surprising as well as any to whom I mentioned this to were in complete agreement that internal corporate politics would have had that effect -- i.e., that lowly Plymouth and Dart shouldn't have 350+ horse engines. The styling of the car first caught their attention, but invariably the engine brought them over to chat. In fact, I was so busy, I never had a chance to see if that Super Bird had a Hemi or a 440.
I loved it.
Joe
Viper Guy
Posted 2016-07-26 1:52 PM (#517645 - in reply to #517428)
Subject: Re: Funny Video of My Big-Tailed Beast

Expert

Yeah Joe, that's been my experience too. These FL cars garner more attention than the run of the mill cars just because there aren't that many at these events, if any at all.

Glad you experienced the greatness of your '60 beauty - just keep enjoying it - it never gets old!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)