The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

can liquid poly resin be replace steering column bushing?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Steering and SuspensionMessage format

udoittwo
Posted 2015-05-01 9:22 AM (#477067)
Subject: can liquid poly resin be replace steering column bushing?

Expert

I'm getting around to replacing the rubber "bushing" between the steering column shaft and the gear box coupler and was wondering if I could use a polyuethane resin to make it? I've read that some have made or carved[?] a poly bushing from a block instead of the rubber.
Has anyone used the polyurethane resin? I have the steering column parts loose[coupler & shaft pictured below], could i make a bushing by putting a sleeve around the couple & shaft, adding the resin? Is there some way to coat the parts, so the resin would not stick without contaminating it? IF I took a torch to the coupler, would it melt the poly surface to pull it apart? Could I dip the parts in wax first making sure the holes were filled? Spray silacone or some sort of lubricant? Even if I just filled the loose coupler and then cut out the shaft area?
Hopefully, someone has worked with this stuff before and understands what I am asking.
As always, thanks again for yur time and any answers,
Karl.

(DSCN2508.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN2508.JPG (170KB - 146 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Shep
Posted 2015-05-01 12:18 PM (#477075 - in reply to #477067)
Subject: Re: can liquid poly resin be replace steering column bushing?

Expert

Why not buy a new one from Goers?
wizard
Posted 2015-05-01 1:15 PM (#477078 - in reply to #477067)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Everything is possible and for sure you should be able to make a form out of the parts and coat them in silicone...... but, I think that Before you're done, you'll have spent more money and effort than a new bushing will cost you from Gary.
udoittwo
Posted 2015-05-02 9:50 AM (#477157 - in reply to #477067)
Subject: RE: can liquid poly resin be replace steering column bushing?

Expert

It gets confusing here sometimes. I asked about this before and basically I got the impression that my best results would be to make my own harder one out of Poly or something? OK, I guess that's the way to go?
Over the years of reading this forum, I've read that dealing with Gary's can be frustrationg and is at best, iffy, so I was just looking for an alternative. I've never bought anything from Gary's or even attemped because of all that I have read here. "Doesn't respond, item never received, took forever, best bet is to TRY faxing". Really, none of that inspires me to even want to take a chance with Gary's. Does anyone else sell this item?
I figured my best bet IS to build my own as suggested? I am lucky that I have the column parts right here in my hand so I can build and see what i am doing rather than climbing underneath the dash constantly trying to fit a part. I bought a rubber pipe coupling and taking a dremel to it was able to shape a piece that I think will work fine but I was hoping for a more solid, better fit by pouring one out of liquid poly? I was looking for anyone that has worked with the poly resin. What the best mixture and hardness for a bushing similar as this? Obviously I'd need to over fill the holes in the shaft and coupler that the roll pin uses first and then, what can I cover it with to keep the poly from sticking so I can pull it apart and use it? If I prefilled the holes with wax then quickly dip and coat the parts with a thin coat of wax that I could warmed and simply pull apart for a perfect fit?
I'm probably going with the rubber piece I made from the pipe coupling but if someone has any information about the poly, I might attempt to built some myself with the parts I can hold and see how they work? Switching to a nut and bolt, I could easily exchange the bushing later.
Thanks again for your help and any info,
Karl.
58coupe
Posted 2015-05-02 10:01 AM (#477158 - in reply to #477067)

Expert

You can buy round bar stock made of nylon and maybe other plastic material, I have a piece of nylon about 1 1/2" in diameter. If you find the right size could you just cut a notch in it and drill the hole, if done carefully it might work and be better than casting from resin.
wizard
Posted 2015-05-02 5:12 PM (#477174 - in reply to #477158)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

58coupe - 2015-05-02 4:01 PM

You can buy round bar stock made of nylon and maybe other plastic material, I have a piece of nylon about 1 1/2" in diameter. If you find the right size could you just cut a notch in it and drill the hole, if done carefully it might work and be better than casting from resin.

And this is what I informed you as well - Sid made his own from a piece of nylon.

Gary most probably has that part on the shelf and you'll get it fast - just dig out a fax machine from a museum (I know that you can use a puter as well - just kidding) and fax Gary your order and then prepay it - it worked for Dieter and a lot of guys, so, it'll work for you.
ttotired
Posted 2015-05-02 6:17 PM (#477177 - in reply to #477067)

Expert 5K+

I have the same reservations with Gary, if I cant ring someone, I dont want to deal with them

Resin might be to hard for this (same sort of hardness that your steering wheel is made from), it needs to be somewhere between resin hard and silicone hard, tyre rubber hard would be good

How to do that, I dont know

As for releasing stuff, nothing sticks to silicone, not even silicone, you can use that, but I would use a mold release wax (not candle wax) but you need to put it on pretty thick because I think (I cant remember) that there will be machine marks inside the tube and whatever you pour in there will faithfully copy everything and will get stuck on the ridges

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)