The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1955 plaza front shocks
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Steering and SuspensionMessage format

HerbertsNatural
Posted 2015-07-04 9:02 PM (#483650)
Subject: 1955 plaza front shocks

I am having one heck of a time finding some front shocks online. I did find a few a few options and I'd like to ask your opinion.

My car, I just bought, have not had the front end apart yet but the shocks are worn and do not resist movement as well as they should. I am pretty sure the front springs may have been cut as well as the spring rate seems very soft for my liking an d the front end sits lower than the rear end.

I have found the following options:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/55-56-Plymouth-all-models-Gabriel-front-sho...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/55-56-Plymouth-all-models-Gabriel-shocks-ab...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/55-56-Dodge-Plymouth-all-models-front-sprin...

Obviously I can get just the standard shocks, but with my front springs possibly having been cut I am considering the third link I posted with the extra springs on the shocks.

Would this be a good idea or is it overkill to get some shocks with springs on them?
Does anyone have experience using these types of shocks with springs added to em?

Thanks guys.

Edited by HerbertsNatural 2015-07-04 9:03 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BigBlockMopar
Posted 2015-07-05 5:33 AM (#483671 - in reply to #483650)
Subject: Re: 1955 plaza front shocks

Expert

Coilspringed shocks are a bandaid for underperforming (worn) springs. I would get new/correct springs first.
'Cut' front springs, while they lower a car, will also feel stiffer than before the cut, because there's less material in the coilspring itself that can flex and 'spring'.

HerbertsNatural
Posted 2015-07-05 2:30 PM (#483691 - in reply to #483650)

thanks for the reply.
I was thinking last night, if my geometry was off then adding these shocks with added springs would be even more difficult if the car is lower than designed.
Im gonna go with the original style and see how it rides. If I end up needing new front springs I'll tackle that later down the line when that time comes.
DepsilonD
Posted 2015-07-06 1:02 PM (#483750 - in reply to #483650)

Elite Veteran

I run KYB KG 4550 on the front of my '56 Dodge and my 56 Plymouth and the same one's will fit your car (55-56 Dodges and Plymouths are all the same in this regard). All you have to do is clearance the lower mounting tabs. The factory lower shocks bolts are just a little too big so you need to make the mounting slots a little wider. I think these are for early 80's Corvettes. So if you want to save a couple bucks, cross reference the KYB applications on these shocks and get something cheap from your local Napa. And one of my cars is lowered with a cut coil and these work great.

Dave
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)