The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Stupid Question Time....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Transmission and Rear AxleMessage format

Cmangeot
Posted 2015-02-01 6:43 PM (#469202)
Subject: Stupid Question Time....

Extreme Veteran

So I am diagnosing noise in my 60 sure grip. I drained the fluid via the drain plug. So how am I supposed to refill it?? The fluid started spewing out immediately when loosening the plug. How can I fill it without losing oil everywhere? More importantly, how do I ensure that I have enough fluid as to not cause any damage??
Top of the page Bottom of the page
59 in Calif
Posted 2015-02-01 7:30 PM (#469205 - in reply to #469202)
Subject: Re: Stupid Question Time....

Elite Veteran

Chris, The FSM for 59 shows a pipe plug about half way up the diff housing on the passenger side. It has a square head, a beefy crestent wrench usually works to loosen it up. It could be heavily covered in dirt and grime. Did around, it's there. I've never seen em anywhere else, except the ones with the removable rear cover. I usually fill it until it runs out the hole. Jerry
Cmangeot
Posted 2015-02-01 8:06 PM (#469208 - in reply to #469202)

Extreme Veteran

That is what I used to drain the diff. Apparently, I did not use the drain at the bottom of the case. This drain bolt has a square shaped opening in it.....what to use to get the out?
I guess I did not drain it after all.... So the fluid only has to be just up to the fill plug?
VAN HELSING
Posted 2015-02-01 9:47 PM (#469211 - in reply to #469208)

Elite Veteran

Yes, after getting your car on jack stands and getting the car level, the oil level in the diff when full will be up to that square plug filler bolt.

As to draining the diff oil............

Not having done it yet to my Dodge nor done any research yet as to how........

If there is no drain plug on the diff housing itself , sometimes ( in other make cars ) the very bottom stud that holds the diff center to the housing is actually a bolt with a copper washer and undoing this bolt will drain the diff.

Otherwise,

I have used a suction pump with tube down that filler plug to suck out old oil, not the best way of doing it as it doesn't get all the old oil out but is usually pretty good.

Or,

Remove the axles ( PIA ) and remove the center , clean center and inside housing out of sludge and metal filings and replace and refill.

VAN HELSING
Posted 2015-02-01 10:10 PM (#469212 - in reply to #469211)

Elite Veteran

Just had a look under my Dodge, if yours is the same, the drain plug will be an approx 3/8 inch square hole plug screwed into the bottom of the axle housing and an inch or so slightly to the passenger side of the middle center of the housing is where to find it.

You can see it mentioned in the 1960 Parts manual here:-

Designated as "plug"

http://jholst.net/60-parts-manual/axle.pdf

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)