The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Power Steering Pump
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Steering and SuspensionMessage format

60 Windsor
Posted 2014-09-02 5:47 PM (#455007)
Subject: Power Steering Pump

Hello, I'm new to the forum and was hoping to get some help. I acquired a 1960 Windsor late last year and did some major work to it over the winter. I sent my steering box and pump out to Lares for rebuild. The first pump I received back seized up about 250 miles into running it and I sent that one back and don't know if I got that one back or a different one but when I put that one on and started it, it had no power steering. I then called Lares and they wanted it back again (which I really didn't want to be down for another 2 weeks), so I pulled the can off and found the pressure valve was stuck open. I lubed it up and got steering working again until about 1/2 mile into a test drive it quit giving me power assist. So I pulled it off again and took the valve out and cleaned it out. A lot of rust came out of the bore. It seems to be working now but I am concerned about the amount of rust flakes that came out of it and having another failure.

My question is, is there an easy way to take it all apart, press out the shaft so I can look at the slipper bore or should I try to hunt down another pump? Or is there another type of pump I can retro into place? Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Shep
Posted 2014-09-02 7:14 PM (#455013 - in reply to #455007)
Subject: Re: Power Steering Pump

Expert

Another bad/expensive issue with Lares!! If you are suret this is rust the system should e flushed thoroughly.
60 Windsor
Posted 2014-09-02 8:16 PM (#455023 - in reply to #455013)

Pretty positive it's rust. I flushed the steering box as best as I could and put a filter on the return line. Not really impressed with the rebuild...looks more like a spray paint job.
60 Imp
Posted 2014-09-03 9:32 AM (#455065 - in reply to #455007)
Subject: RE: Power Steering Pump

That's a darn shame. You should start a thread in the Vendors Discussion forum to assist others with making a decision on who to send their parts to for re-build/exchange.

Hope you get your ride sorted out quick.

Steve.
wizard
Posted 2014-09-03 2:26 PM (#455115 - in reply to #455007)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

The steering gears have often water mixed in the oil - condense, open pump, who knows, but still this is the truth. A friend of mine has demounted 5 steering gears for to renovate them - all of them had some rust issues, one had severe. It is possible that your pump was rebuilt correctly, but the contaminated oil and rust particles in the steering gear killed it.
60 Windsor
Posted 2014-09-03 7:50 PM (#455150 - in reply to #455007)

I couldn't tell you if the pump, or the box, was rebuilt properly or not. Talking to some folks, I have gotten their opinion on the company that rebuilt it and it was not too positive. The first pump seized hard after I was on my way back after a break in drive, when I drained the fluid it had a ton of brass flakes in it. I assume it was the front pump bearing. This one, the pump sent back to me, didn't have any pressure from the get go, although I have it working for now I am more curious if I have to worry about another grenading situation and if there's anything I can do to avoid one...
Shep
Posted 2014-09-03 10:26 PM (#455165 - in reply to #455150)

Expert

If this is Lares again we need to blacklist them for steering repairs!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)