The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Which limited slip option?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Transmission and Rear AxleMessage format

Ray Bell
Posted 2005-01-26 6:18 PM (#22716)
Subject: Which limited slip option?

Expert

Okay, we have our race project progressing nicely, just 12 months to go until the first race meeting, which will probably be at the tight-ish Morgan Park road race circuit near Warwick in Queensland.

Ben reckons he will need some kind of limited slip centre in the differential, but he feels a locker-type will be too severe and make for excessive understeer.

He likes the look of the Auburn Gear unit...

What advice can be offered here on different limited slip options with regard to severity of action, positiveness of action, durability, availability and price?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
RoyalGate
Posted 2005-01-26 7:09 PM (#22719 - in reply to #22716)
Subject: RE: Which limited slip option?

Expert

Ray, Have you seen this web page for differential information?
you'll have to look for it, but it explains the diiferent sure grip units that have been used.
It's been around awhile. Good luck with your racing.

http://www.autohobbydigest.com/8_75.html

Edited by RoyalGate 2005-01-26 7:12 PM
DeSotohead
Posted 2005-01-26 7:13 PM (#22720 - in reply to #22716)

Board Moderator

Ray...

Look into the Dyneer (Detroit Locker) Tru-Trac progressive limited slip. This unit is much more linear in it locking action than the Locker, and I can vouch that they work without tha "snap lock" feel of other gear based lockers.
This unit came in my '87 Landrover for both front and rear axles, so you can be sure it has to work for Landrover to stick it in the FRONT axle as well.

Units in my vehicle were manufactured at the Slingo, Ireland plant, but I think Dyneer still manufactures for the US markets in Mt Clemens, MI or nearby.

Try this site:

http://www.reiderracing.com/

If you call and speak with Tom (sometimes he ansers his own phones), Tell him Hank Dozier says "Hi".
He might just remember me from F**d (mention the TLR intake manifold for the 2.3L truck engine to jog his memory - inside joke)
Ray Bell
Posted 2005-01-27 3:11 AM (#22762 - in reply to #22720)

Expert

Thanks for the links, guys... lots of information in that autohobbydigest page!

I had actually gone to the Reider Racing pages yesterday, Hank, having found them via google... but no prices and some 'sales speak' led me to wonder just how definitive it was going through there. Now, you mention the True Trac and I looked again, and I found that (like many others...) it isn't listed for the 8 3/4" Chrysler rear axle.

And they also have on their site a very inviting 'two for $803.80' offer (CWP, LSD etc X 2) and a Mopar CWP plus LSD for $389. The prices, to be fair, are 'from' prices, but very inviting all the same. But no real information about what they are!

Looks like I'll have to ring Tom and find out...
DeSotohead
Posted 2005-01-27 9:23 PM (#22816 - in reply to #22762)

Board Moderator

Ray...

The TrueTrac as you mention MAY not be available for a Chrysler.
BUT...I would give Tom a shout anyway.
There is a chance it is not a *stock* item, meaning they do not make them any more.
But if I know Tom, his world and connections runs deep, and he has been able to find stuff that people swore didn't exist!
Ray Bell
Posted 2005-01-27 9:35 PM (#22819 - in reply to #22816)

Expert

I rang, Tom had gone for the day... the guy who I spoke to was helpful, but the range wasn't as good as I'd hoped...

If we had a Dana, it would be very different.

The Powertrax Lock Right, which I thought would be a good option, isn't up to the power according to the guy I spoke to. And while it is listed for the 8.75" on some sites, it's not for sure that it is available.

I think we might just have to find an old (Dana made) Sure Grip from pre 1968 and recondition it. All the better if it comes with 3.55 or 3.91 gears.

Edited by Ray Bell 2005-01-27 9:38 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)