The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Part out? Sell as whole?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> General Technical Discussion and TroubleshootingMessage format

drosera88
Posted 2015-09-24 6:27 PM (#490570)
Subject: Part out? Sell as whole?

Expert

So I got a 61 Newport sedan I'm considering getting rid of since I have a 2D 61 Windsor now. I'm not sure whether I should part it out or sell it as a whole. It's a complete car with solid floorboards, but the trunk is rusted out. Rockers appear solid, but could be thin. Rear quarters are rusted.

What's the biggest factor in your opinion on making this decision? For anyone who's parted a car out, how long did it take you to part out all the usable parts? When all the usable parts were gone, how much did you get for the remaining scrap metal?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Swept57
Posted 2015-09-24 9:47 PM (#490578 - in reply to #490570)
Subject: Re: Part out? Sell as whole?

Expert

My experience has been a few desirable items fly off the car and it takes a loooonnnggg time to sell the rest, even at giveaway prices. That's fine if it isn't in the way and you don't mind posting ads and following up on them, boxing and shipping. It real becomes a matter of what you think your time is worth. I parted a 56 Imperial and made a lot of money on a few parts (engine, trans, hood, windshield, 12 inch brakes). I tried to sell the rest but it went nowhere. It got to the point it wasn't worth my time so $250 at the scrap yard. I did keep some of the smaller trim items that don't take up space.
udoittwo
Posted 2015-09-25 9:00 AM (#490601 - in reply to #490570)
Subject: RE: Part out? Sell as whole?

Expert

I've parted a few cars. I actually enjoyed it and made a LOT more than selling it as a whole. If the car is rare, completely original, and/or super solid, then sell it to someone else and let them decide what to do with it but if its none of those and if you have a way to store stuff, the time and the knowledge of what parts will sell best, tear it down.

Options are always the easiest, best selling parts, and bring the most value. Spend a little time and test P.W. motors, switches, ect. Selling them cleaned up and as working as compared to a cruddy, "might work?" or something like that, brings twice the price.

Once you start tearing it apart, it will never be a car again. Sometimes that's a sin but sometimes you may be helping bring other cars back on the road. Fortunately, it was always easy for me, the cars I parted could never be roadworthy again.

I bought a 49 Chevy Sedan Delivery off a 90 Y.O. man that was the original owner. I bought it for parts but it SOOOO original that I couldn't bring mysef to part it even though it had a lot of issues, so I sold it. I could have made a lot more parting it.

57chizler
Posted 2015-09-26 5:10 PM (#490682 - in reply to #490578)

Expert

Swept57 - 2015-09-24 6:47 PM

My experience has been a few desirable items fly off the car and it takes a loooonnnggg time to sell the rest, even at giveaway prices.

Yep, BTDT and once the suspension parts are gone the car is a hassle to move around. Try to sell the whole car as it is now.
drosera88
Posted 2015-09-27 9:38 AM (#490727 - in reply to #490570)

Expert

Thank you all! This helps me out a lot. I'll probably be selling it as whole, since there aren't really any options on this car besides the remote control mirror and radio delete.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)