The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

60 sure grip axle play???
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Transmission and Rear AxleMessage format

Cmangeot
Posted 2014-10-15 9:55 AM (#459303)
Subject: 60 sure grip axle play???

Extreme Veteran

First question - when my wheels are off the ground, are they supposed to turn in the same direction or opposite direction when in neutral? When I roll one wheel toward the front of the car, the other goes in reverse. I read that a sure grip is supposed to go the same direction?????

Second question - there is slight play/noise between the wheel movements when I turn the wheel....the driveshaft moves a bit, then stops turning as I roll one back wheel and the I ther goes in the opposite direction.

Could this play indicate wear, damage, low fluid or otherwise? Could this be the cause of my drivetrain noise/ chatter when coming to a stop?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Shep
Posted 2014-10-15 10:12 AM (#459305 - in reply to #459303)
Subject: Re: 60 sure grip axle play???

Expert

No sure grip here. Some play is normal in that direction change you describe. Whether it is excessive cannot be determined from here.
57chizler
Posted 2014-10-15 3:05 PM (#459320 - in reply to #459303)
Subject: RE: 60 sure grip axle play???

Expert

The normal backlash in the differential gears is quite small at the gears themselves but is amplified when turning the tires.
jimntempe
Posted 2014-10-15 5:54 PM (#459329 - in reply to #459303)
Subject: RE: 60 sure grip axle play???

Expert

Cmangeot - 2014-10-15 6:55 AM First question - when my wheels are off the ground, are they supposed to turn in the same direction or opposite direction when in neutral? When I roll one wheel toward the front of the car, the other goes in reverse. I read that a sure grip is supposed to go the same direction????? Second question - there is slight play/noise between the wheel movements when I turn the wheel....the driveshaft moves a bit, then stops turning as I roll one back wheel and the I ther goes in the opposite direction. Could this play indicate wear, damage, low fluid or otherwise? Could this be the cause of my drivetrain noise/ chatter when coming to a stop?

With the trans in nuetral and both wheels off the ground what you described is correct.  The open diff will spin the spider gears making the opposite side wheel go "backwards" from the one you turn because there is less friction thru the spider than up the driveshaft and into the transmission internals.  With a sure-grip you have the friction disks connecting the spider gears together so they have enough friction that the wheels both turn together and it's the driveshaft that winds up turning instead.  So, when you have an open diff and you turn one wheel you will not only feel any play between the ring and pinon gear but you will also feel "play" in the spider gears that you may be thinking is coming from the ring and pinon.  If you do it enough and do it slowly you'll probaly be able to tell which play is pinon and which is spider play.  

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)