The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Chrysler Typhoon
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

JT Vincent
Posted 2014-04-03 5:14 PM (#434486)
Subject: Chrysler Typhoon

Expert

No, my friends, the black and white pics aren't of the 1963 Chrysler Turbine... They are of the Typhoon. "The car itself was designed in the Chrysler studios under the direction of Elwood Engel, who had worked for the Ford Motor Company before his move to Chrysler. The designer credited with the actual look of the car was Charles Mashigan, who designed a two-seat show car called the Typhoon, which was displayed at the 1964 World's Fair in New York City. Engel used many older Ford styling themes. The rear taillight/bumper assembly was copied directly (with revisions) from a 1958 Ford styling study called the "La Galaxie". He used none of the themes associated with his 1964 Imperial. As Engel incorporated many of the design themes from the 1961 Thunderbird, and because the car was a four seater of similar size and appointment, many enthusiasts call the Ghia Turbine the 'Englebird.'" One must have wondered at this point is Elwood was a one-trick pony.

(typhoon.jpg)

(typhoon1.jpg)

(ChryslerTurbine.jpg)

(1958_Ford_La Galaxie1.jpg)

(1958_Ford_La_Galaxi.jpg)

(Englebird.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments typhoon.jpg (43KB - 111 downloads)
Attachments typhoon1.jpg (70KB - 113 downloads)
Attachments ChryslerTurbine.jpg (103KB - 105 downloads)
Attachments 1958_Ford_La Galaxie1.jpg (60KB - 107 downloads)
Attachments 1958_Ford_La_Galaxi.jpg (116KB - 117 downloads)
Attachments Englebird.jpg (69KB - 108 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
grunau
Posted 2014-04-03 7:34 PM (#434496 - in reply to #434486)
Subject: Re: Chrysler Typhoon

Extreme Veteran

Hi
I saw a film once of the opening of a crate containing the first hand made body for the '63 Chrysler Turbine car and the car carried a "Typhoon" Nameplate ; anyhow the Engle styling trademark is very prevalent on the '65 Dodge Monacos and Polaras. The divided Tailight theme really popped up on the '67 Dodge.
firedome
Posted 2014-04-04 9:43 AM (#434546 - in reply to #434486)

Expert

Interesting pics Jon, thanks for posting them.
wizard
Posted 2014-04-04 10:24 AM (#434554 - in reply to #434486)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Very interesting - thanks' for sharing!!
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2014-04-04 11:59 AM (#434569 - in reply to #434554)

el Wood Engle ..... I hate what this guy brought to the table.

Is it just me, or does anyone else see giant, cartoonish "bug eyes" and nothing else ?

His "gingerbread" around the headlights reminds me of a kid I knew that was unfamiliar
with bathing and always had what looked like "pie crust" around his eyes. What I don't
find "offensive" in Engle's design/s, I don't find attractive either ..... either neutral or just
plain ugly.

I am probably prejudiced a bit by these being what kicked fin design out the back door,
but all the same, to my eye, auto design (in the main) did not get back on track until after
1965. I have always referred to the 1961-64 period as "the lost years" where auto design
seemed to be adrift and without any clear theme or goals. Maybe that was the point ? It
HAD been so clear when fins were the theme that a scattered, discordant look was the actual
theme ? Fins were going to be an impossibly hard act to follow. But giant headlight surrounds
and tail lights, flat panels with pointlessly rounded edges, with large expanses of "nothing" in
between just don't work for me. Engle gets a major "thumbs down" from this observer.

No cookie for el Wood !
jimntempe
Posted 2014-04-04 4:43 PM (#434608 - in reply to #434486)

Expert

I like a lot of the 61 - 64 cars from GM and Ford. I think of that time as the GM linear look. I esp like most of the 63 and 64 GM models. For the most part they are very clean designs. I also like the T-bird styling of that era, they looked like they were going 100 mph even when they are parked. Suspension and AT wise, neither Ford or GM of that era could hold a candle to Mopar though.
Chrycoman
Posted 2014-04-04 11:09 PM (#434642 - in reply to #434569)

Expert

Doctor DeSoto - 2014-04-04 11:59 AM

el Wood Engle ..... I hate what this guy brought to the table.

Is it just me, or does anyone else see giant, cartoonish "bug eyes" and nothing else ?

His "gingerbread" around the headlights reminds me of a kid I knew that was unfamiliar
with bathing and always had what looked like "pie crust" around his eyes. What I don't
find "offensive" in Engle's design/s, I don't find attractive either ..... either neutral or just
plain ugly.

I am probably prejudiced a bit by these being what kicked fin design out the back door,
but all the same, to my eye, auto design (in the main) did not get back on track until after
1965. I have always referred to the 1961-64 period as "the lost years" where auto design
seemed to be adrift and without any clear theme or goals. Maybe that was the point ? It
HAD been so clear when fins were the theme that a scattered, discordant look was the actual
theme ? Fins were going to be an impossibly hard act to follow. But giant headlight surrounds
and tail lights, flat panels with pointlessly rounded edges, with large expanses of "nothing" in
between just don't work for me. Engle gets a major "thumbs down" from this observer.

No cookie for el Wood !

Virgil Exner had a heart attack in 1956, and Chrysler management was not sure when he would be returning. So, Chrysler hired a replacement, William Schmidt, who became head of Chrysler Styling, at least while Exner was away. However, no one knew when Schmidt's contract was to end. Exner returned to work in 1957 and basically shared responsibilities with Schmidt. Thus early in 1959, with Schmidt still at Chrysler, Exner and his staff worked to develop a replacement for the fins, the S series, for1962. It was Exner's way of trying to hang onto his job as head of styling. William Schmidt left sometime in 1959.

With that scenario it is not surprising the fins lasted longer than they should have, and that some cars seemed to have been styled with one group doing the front and another the rear. Exner and his S series were sabotaged by Chrysler's President when Colbert overheard part of a conversation by some GM management people on the new, small Chevrolet. Chrysler management first wanted the new downsized Plymouth and Dodge to be based on the Valiant body, but that was far too small. So, Exner took his S series Plymouth and Dart and shrunk them, with shorter wheelbase and length as well less width.

The 1962 Plymouth and Dart were approved for production in early 1960, leaving Engineering a little over a year to get a completely new body tooled and ready for production. And by July, a little over a year before the 1962 models were to go into production, management realized they had a marketing disaster on their hands. They ordered Exner to redo the front clips for 1963 with a more "normal" look. Chrysler management liked what they saw and decided to approve the redesign of the rear ends. The 1963 models were Exner's last project for Chrysler, and used the S series Imperial as the basis for the 1963 Chrysler. So, the headlights on the 1963 Dodge and Dart were done under Exner.

Elwood Engel arrived at Chrysler in the fall of 1961 with the 1964 models being the main project. He apparently did some minor work on the 1963 models. Hanging over his head at that time were the 1964 Imperial and the Turbine cars. Given that he had a little more than one year to go from a blank sheet of paper to fifty-some cars in steel arriving in Detroit, it's not surprising Engel started with something he knew for the Turbine cars. The final product was a vast improvement over his work at Ford that also set out the general styling theme to come in future production Mopar products. The 1964 Imperial definitely has Engel's touch, although has only a subtle resemblance to his 1961 Lincoln Continental.

Given the situation at Chrysler it is not surprising things were in a turmoil. And I, for one, have a great deal of admiration for Elwood Engel. To look at the styling of the 1966 Chrysler Corporation cars you would never guess the 1962 models were built by the same firm.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)