The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

u-joint boot substitute
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> General Technical Discussion and TroubleshootingMessage format

rferg
Posted 2013-01-26 1:14 PM (#356909)
Subject: u-joint boot substitute

On my 55 ply I couldn't find a suitable boot by part number and refused to pay alot for something that simple. In my junk department I found a boot that had been bought for a rack and pinion end. It looked about the right diameter so I cut off a piece the right length and greased the inside a little. Using several welding rod wires to stretch it over the end - it made it. I installed the grease, and clamps - it looks perfect. and there was enough of this universal boot to do both ends. If you do this make sure there are no notches on the edge that could start a tear - it is really a severe stretch.

I was trying to remember why it had to be done that way - it seems like there was no way to get it together if the boot was put on while it was apart. Oh well somebody will probably come on here and tell ya'll. And, as usual, they'll probably tell me I did it all wrong - But that's the fun part, so I don't mind!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
57plymouth
Posted 2013-01-26 2:45 PM (#356930 - in reply to #356909)
Subject: Re: u-joint boot substitute

Expert

I used a split CV boot years ago. Still holding strong.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)