The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

fuel sender question ? ? ? ?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

60 dart
Posted 2009-09-17 4:30 PM (#189295)
Subject: fuel sender question ? ? ? ?

Expert 5K+

i have a new sending unit in my pioneer . the problem is that it only sends a reading from about the 3/4 mark to full . i've tried everything under the sun to get it to work full time . i've had the tank on and off 3 times with no luck-----------------------buy the way , it's an dumbbay cheepy . none the less it should work the full scale not just the upper end----------------------------solve this one , i'll be forever in your debt , thanks---------------------------------------------------------------------------later

ps. dash gauge works fine ?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wizard
Posted 2009-09-17 5:02 PM (#189305 - in reply to #189295)
Subject: Re: fuel sender question ? ? ? ?

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Most probably you already know this Chuck, but there's a voltage limiter (somewhere? (Chrysler 60 built in to the oilpressure gauge)) that limiter should supply the gauges with approximately 5 volt. If you connect a voltmeter to the lead wire, it will pulsate from 0 to 5 (7) Volt and if you connect a testlamp, it shall flash. If this limiter has gone ape, many strange things may be noted - fuel and temp meter can go up and down together, oilpressure may change up and down. Hypotetically, if your limiter supplies too low voltage, the resistance on the lower part of the sending unit will be to high for to affect the gauge. That's my theory anyway...
dukeboy
Posted 2009-09-17 5:27 PM (#189310 - in reply to #189305)

Expert 5K+

Again, the "NEW" sending units do not read correctly....There are ALOT of threads on these things....Try to find a good used one or, you COULD try aftermarket gauge and sender set up for GM style..
60 dart
Posted 2009-09-17 11:35 PM (#189352 - in reply to #189295)

Expert 5K+

this is why i hate electrical BS--------------the test lamp was flashing the first time i dropped the tank , so the limiter should be good . Man , if i could find a NOS i'd buy it in a heart beat . the is one on stupid pay that comes with a warranty . might be next----------------------did i tell ya i hate electrical parts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-----------------------------------------------------------later
dukeboy
Posted 2009-09-17 11:38 PM (#189353 - in reply to #189352)

Expert 5K+

Chuck, you MIGHT try one of the senders off a later model Dodge/Plymouth car and see if it will read correctly...There are at least SOME of these left NOS...I don't know if the OHM rating is the same or not, but if you could try a buddy's while it is out might help you...I know the '65-'70 Sender won't work with the '57-'58 cars, but I don't know bout a '60....You would have to remove the sender part and install it onto your arm and pick-up if it works...
finsruskw
Posted 2009-09-17 11:39 PM (#189354 - in reply to #189310)

Expert

Just went through this with my F with the repro A****er Kent tank unit. Would not read any more than 1/4 tank....Ever!!

1st off, is the tank actually full when it registers full and does the drop to 3/4 correcpond to the actual amount in the tank?

If so, sounds to me like the float is hanging up and not dropping all the way to the bottom of the tank when installed w/empty tank.
If it is on the bottom, the arm will more than likely need bent to reflect this

Took it out and laid it flat on a stool next to the car and used jumper wires to hook it to the guage in the car and began calibration checks using small pieces of 2x3 cut into 1", 1.5", 2" qnd so on adding them under the float arm and watching the guage for movement.
I determined the repro unit had too much "throw" to it as when reading full, the float would have to have been sticking out of the top of the tank.
After bending the arm to compensate for the full scale, the float would have to have been sticking out of the bottom of the tank to register empty!!
A little geometry will be involved here to figure out the bends in order to meet in the middle somewhere.

I gave up and rehabbed a used unit from another tank, and now I have a guage that freads full, 3/4, half and 1/4 to empty for the 1st time in 25 years!!

IMHO the repro units look cheap. They have no locating tabs to begin with and the float is nothing more than 2 hardware store corks glued together top to top with the float arm stuck through them and bent so they wont fall off!!  The plastic encased "sweep' looks to be of modern design but the rest looks to be stone age!!

Dave Schwandt

59CRL
Posted 2009-09-18 8:48 PM (#189433 - in reply to #189295)
Subject: RE: fuel sender question ? ? ? ?

Expert

60 dart - 2009-09-17 4:30 PM

i have a new sending unit in my pioneer . the problem is that it only sends a reading from about the 3/4 mark to full . i've tried everything under the sun to get it to work full time . i've had the tank on and off 3 times with no luck-----------------------buy the way , it's an dumbbay cheepy . none the less it should work the full scale not just the upper end----------------------------solve this one , i'll be forever in your debt , thanks---------------------------------------------------------------------------later

ps. dash gauge works fine ?

I have the one from ebay as well.... to get it to work you have to loosen the potentiometer and turn it a little then re-position the stop piece. Have the tank out and hold the sending unit next to it hooked up, turn the key on and watch the gauge as you lift the sending unit float up to the top of the tank level and see what it reads, then make the adjustments. I have mine reading pretty close.... reads 1/8th tank off from E to 1/2.... no big deal there, reads full when the tank is full..... this sending unit is a pain in the ass but you can get it to work.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)