The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Importing car to Sweden, costs?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

Sisu
Posted 2008-01-04 4:48 AM (#109646)
Subject: Importing car to Sweden, costs?

Inactive by Request

Hi Guys,

I look through various options how I`m going to register my car here or some of the neighbouring countries. The registeration is temporary because I´m likely to move to New Zealand in the end of the year, so all tax etc. I pay will be wasted when the car is exported.

So what are the costs (taxes etc) importing car to Sweden? Do you have the same 10% EC tax + Value Added Tax on top of everything?

Thanks, Cedric

Edited by Sisu 2008-01-04 4:52 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
345 DeSoto
Posted 2008-01-04 8:37 AM (#109648 - in reply to #109646)
Subject: Re: Importing car to Sweden, costs?

Expert

Sisu,
SISU is what was on my California license plate when I bought my Jaguar. I bought it from a lady from Finland...
Sisu
Posted 2008-01-04 9:43 AM (#109649 - in reply to #109646)

Inactive by Request

Sisu is a word that got especially strong meaning in the 2nd World War, it means: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisu . The small Finnish army fought against Russia and kept Finland independent. In some areas there was only the last Finnish soldier against the massive Russian army, but with the Finnish showing "sisu", the enemy was not able to invade Finland. Over 1 million Russian soldiers were killed. The lesson is - if you start a war with Finland you´ll lose for the Finnish Sisu! LOL!

The lady chose a good word for the plate - and a nice car! If you still have her telephone number, please let me know - I want to marry her The reason I have the username is because of my three army trucks, they're all made by Sisu (a Finnish truck manufacturer) and have the same "Sisu"-attitude in the design - though, never give up -construction.

...What year/model of Jaguar you bought?(I´ve had three Jags in the past)

Edited by Sisu 2008-01-04 9:46 AM
Rebels-59
Posted 2008-01-04 1:02 PM (#109661 - in reply to #109646)
Subject: RE: Importing car to Sweden, costs?

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Sisu - 2008-01-04 9:48 AM

Hi Guys,

I look through various options how I`m going to register my car here or some of the neighbouring countries. The registeration is temporary because I´m likely to move to New Zealand in the end of the year, so all tax etc. I pay will be wasted when the car is exported.

So what are the costs (taxes etc) importing car to Sweden? Do you have the same 10% EC tax + Value Added Tax on top of everything?

Thanks, Cedric

Here in the UK.. ALL tax,s and Value Added Tax ( VAT ) have to be Paid BEFORE the Car is Released from Customs ( Docks Holding Warehouse ).. So it would be Wasted Tax,s Unless it was going to be Exported to another EU Country...... I am Not sure if them is a Lower tax you can pay to release the Car into Germany TEMPERORY....... As then they wouldn,t allow Registration until the Full Tax was Paid, ( which is ideally what you want , as you are moving later in the year.. I would check with Customs Excise..
Rebels-59
Posted 2008-01-04 1:49 PM (#109663 - in reply to #109646)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

BTW....... England UK is 10% Tax and 17.5 % VAT for anything over 1950..

And this should ( but probably ain,t ) be the same throughout the EU, as it is Brussels who set the Rules and Price guide.
d500neil
Posted 2008-01-04 7:55 PM (#109688 - in reply to #109646)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

Dayum, Cedric/Leif: you get AROUND !
Sisu
Posted 2008-01-04 8:24 PM (#109691 - in reply to #109646)

Inactive by Request

Thanks Guys,

By EU/EC law you can pay the taxes in any country, after that all stuff has free movement inside the union borders. And you can actually get the car out from the Customs without paying anything, if you tell the final destination is in other country. I once made this and told the car arrived the country to be customized and will be send to UK - they said no problem, fill this form and how long time you need for it, and what will be the destination country. This is used in cases when - for example - an US car arrives to Europe for modifications and returns back later, but as well it can stay in Europe and later be imported somewhere else. They have a close watch however, and you must tell what shop or dealer takes care of the changes. But all in all, at least with those officers (Finnish) it was really smooth and easy.

To tell you how much I have to pay, it will be 11568.96 USD (7854,- EUR), if I can save something its perhaps worthwile to change the country of import, difference could be in thousands. Or perhaps I keep it here one or two months (just go through the car and see its ok) and then send it straight to New Zealand. So surely all other options anywhere will be looked through... There are possibilities for tax free as well but this is still under investigation. Its a lot of work to find out all the little details, some rules are really complicated and you may have many exceptions. Also I may have possibility to import it to Switzerland, its outside EU but I´m not familiar with the taxes. Switzerland is only 20 minutes from my home and I can register it for someone else.

Every country can have their own V.A.T. percentage, for example UK 17.5%, Germany 19%, Finland 22%... I wouldn´t see all the trouble if I would stay here indefinately, but because I´m soon moving out I got to make a better plan.

Cedric

Edited by Sisu 2008-01-04 8:25 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)