The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

re-covering seats
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

n1gzd
Posted 2005-10-27 12:03 AM (#42266)
Subject: re-covering seats

Veteran

I am about to try and re-cover the seats of my 1958 Firesweep seats (straight bench seats). I am planning on buying some new old stock seat covers and the materials to re-stuff the seats.

What do people recommend? Does anyone know of a web site that has pictures of what I am trying to do. Kanter sells a seat stuffing kit. I am assuming that I should get rid of the wood shavings, bad foam and burlap that are in my seats now.

Rebecca
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mulletman59
Posted 2005-10-27 2:18 AM (#42272 - in reply to #42266)
Subject: RE: re-covering seats

Veteran

hello

you can try SMS in Oregon. I was told about them in a prior forum. they have some Photos but you can request samples from the site. Their site name is smsautofabrics.com Hope that helps.

Casey
DeSotohead
Posted 2005-10-27 7:21 AM (#42278 - in reply to #42272)

Board Moderator

I would also try Original Auto Interiors in Columbus, Michigan.
Website is:

http://www.originalauto.com/

Another source is ABC Auto Upholstery and Top in Philly. Here is a link there:

http://philadelphia.citysearch.com/profile/8971618/philadelphia_pa/...

Both of these places have a very good selection of both NOS and NORS stock, and both can supply the foam/backing/hog rings/thread and other parts you will need if you are doing it yorself.
They also can help you estimate how much of each to order, and can give tips on doing it (although I HIGHLY recommend you buy a book on this subject and do a small, more incon***uous piece first before jumping into the major job.

Edited by DeSotohead 2005-10-27 7:22 AM
n1gzd
Posted 2005-10-27 8:22 PM (#42320 - in reply to #42278)

Veteran

I talked to Original Auto Interiors today. I had already determined that I could by the NOS seat cover from them. However, they told me that they don't have any seat stuffing materials. Also, where do I buy that black cardboard like stuff that is on top of the hat shelf area and on the outsides of the front feet area?
DeSotohead
Posted 2005-10-28 7:44 AM (#42332 - in reply to #42320)

Board Moderator

I have seen people use painted masonite or luan plywood for the kickpanel and rear package shelf material.

You can also get thick cardboard for that from art/drafting supply houses (though it might be special order), and then you paint it. If you go that route, I highly recommend that you seal it with clear acrylic spay paint to prevent the moisture absorption that warps it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)