The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Undercoating Questions/Interior Paint
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

redvettemike
Posted 2010-08-24 6:46 AM (#238124)
Subject: Undercoating Questions/Interior Paint

Regular

The '61 Desoto 2drht that I am restoring has much undercoating that was sprayed on the interior floors, on the inside of the quarter panels, up on the inside of the doors, and then heavily sprayed on the underside of the car. I assume this was done when the car was first manufactured. Would the factory have then sprayed the body color over this undercoating? That is what it looks like was done. The gentleman that owned the car (grandfather of the present owner) was also the owner of the retail Desoto dealership. The underside of the car was likely sprayed again by the dealership. This all helped to keep the car with a minimum of rust.
Also, was the trunk floor sprayed the body color? Thanks for any help on these questions.
Mike
Top of the page Bottom of the page
d500neil
Posted 2010-08-24 8:09 PM (#238243 - in reply to #238124)
Subject: Re: Undercoating Questions/Interior Paint

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

Mike, the OEM undercoating was applied after the car was primered and painted, and before the car's body
was "Dropped" onto the asembled rolling chassis.

There should not be any undercoating appearing on the frame rails or on the chassis equipment, altho the
gas tank can be covered by the undercoating.

The inside of the trunk received an amalgam of undercoating/sealer which was then contacted by the body color(s)
painting's overspraying.

The trunk's inner reinforcements were painted in the main body color, but, the asphaltic deadener panel was not
(supposed to be-) painted, and should show its un-painted-over mottled appearance, which can be in several
different shades.

The trunk hinges got hit with the body-color, as did the trunk torsion bar-springs and some/most of the underside of
the parcel shelf, and some over spray unavoidably got to be heavily applied onto the middle area of the fuel filler tube.

can you post up some pics of your car's appearance?

Welcome aboard (again-).

redvettemike
Posted 2010-08-24 10:52 PM (#238280 - in reply to #238243)
Subject: Re: Undercoating Questions/Interior Paint

Regular

Thanks for the good answers. I am really computer 'impaired' and seemingly unable to get the pics from the fancy camera onto the computer and then onto this (or anyother) site. I will see if my wife can help me get some pics to put on here.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)