Re: Wiring Disconnects 1965 Dodge Coronet 500

Re: Wiring Disconnects 1965 Dodge Coronet 500

Hello,

This was answered in another post about tools however I just took an old pocket screwdriver and ground it to fit and it worked great.  There are a couple of different methods of the terminal being held in the connector.

Many you come in from the open end of he connector there is a catch on the back side of the connector, press it in and it will allow the wire to be removed.

The male part releases from the side.  If you go to this site and enlarge the picture (not promoting this product, it just had a picture) you will see the female and male connectors  and how they release.

https://www.ebay.com/i/282332563366?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=282332563366&targetid=917185845248&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9061204&poi=&campaignid=10460085339&mkgroupid=109413764131&rlsatarget=pla-917185845248&abcId=2145999&merchantid=114714252&gclid=Cj0KCQjwo6D4BRDgARIsAA6uN1_8RV0WjmF6CDknZ9sxqvKdgjhDTtPt1GrYUTNFnHHkxWxbUsq8WPcaAh5OEALw_wcB

Wow, if the link works, if not just search on B Body Bulkhead Connectors.

It is  really important that the proper tools and connectors be used.  Many if not most of the insulated connectors are being so cheap they do not hold the wire.  Watch what you buy, when I used insulated connectors if possible I pull of the insulation, slide heat shrink down the wire, crimp, solder and  heat shrink.  Just  don't over  solder the solder will wick back into the wire and make is stiff on the other side of the  connector.

Don't scrimp on tools, a good ratchet  crimper with a full set of  dies is a very good investment.  The China ones are good and  worth purchasing,  mine will even do sparkplug  wires.  Here is a picture of a double crimp I made when repairing the wiring on my car.  Even with a good  crimp I apply a very small amount of solder to prevent the wire from pulling out.

Dennis C.