Re: Staying at home 62-65 style

Intriguing project and great description too Ray

On Apr 4, 2020, at 9:55 PM, Ray Bell <raybell46@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Working day by day here on the converter box for the clutch master cylinder. I don't know if everyone knows, but the master cylinders involved mount with about a 7-degree angle down at the front, this is why the pivot is angled etc.

The purpose of the box is to be mounted up under the floor just under the driver's seat. Using a bell-crank at the end of the existing rod which goes to the Z-bar, I can put multiple holes in it to vary the ratio to alter the travel, it also provides the final rod into the front of this box (alongside where the master cylinder obviously will mount) at about that 7-degree angle and there will be multiple mounts along the lever you see in there to fine tune the travel ratio. The links will all have rod ends, which I already fitted to the clutch linkages to reduce wear, friction and lost travel.

There's still a way to go with this, the mount for the lever is only half-done, the opposite end of the lever will ultimately run on a nylon slide surface (to take the weight off the bushes in the pivot point) and some trimming is required in a couple of places.

All of this is made from leftovers. The lever is a Peugeot 504 clutch pedal (the bell crank will be made from a Peugeot 504 brake pedal and mount on some more of the same piece of tube I cut up for this mount), another bit of smaller tube as cut in half for the mount supports inside the front panel, the basic material for the box started life as a display shelf in a department store, many of which I bought for not much money when the shop remodelled its displays.

And all those TEK screws? Bought huge numbers of these at a garage sale maybe 15 years ago, I use them frequently, these ones will mostly been unscrewed one by one and the holes welded up, thus spot welding the box together. The mitre joints at the bottom of each corner will be welded for stiffness.

The mount to the floor will be two pieces of yet another tube I sliced in half, leaving a small piece on one side and a wide piece on the other of each, it was 2" tubing, probably 14SWG, it will bolt up onto the seat mounts on one side and a pair of fresh bolts on the other and then bolt to the side of the box. There'll be covers top and bottom, with louvres (I think) in the bottom cover to let water get out again because it will surely get in there.

I'll keep you posted on this...

<0320clutchboxfrontcombined.jpg>
<0320clutchboxcomplete.jpg>
<0320clutchboxwithlever.jpg>