Re: Safety Wake-up Call - TOTAL Loss

Good reminder about gasoline.

About 10 years ago my brother Bob in Kansas was cleaning parts with gasoline in front of his shop in the winter.  The gasoline fumes made it back into the shop to a home-made waste oil heater.  When Bob heard the woosh of the fumes igniting he jumped away from the gasoline and was not burned.

He did not have a fire extinguisher available, it took too long to get a hose to the fire and it probably would not have helped anyway.  The shop quickly became fully involved, his daughter ran in and backed out a 1966 Charger moments before the roof came down.

The Fire Department is a Volunteer Department, by the time they arrived there was nothing they could do except keep a safe distance from the fire.  Everything that could explode in a shop exploded including hydraulic valve lifters.  Bob never tossed old lifters, he just put them back in the box and saved them.  As the oil heated in the lifters they exploded sounding like gun shots.

Bob was always a Mopar guy, he lost everything except for the Charger.  The shop contained all of his tools, several engines along with a lot of parts and all of his car pictures and books.

The shop was never rebuilt.  Bob is now gone, his daughter has the 66 Charger and the last car he had before the shop burned, a 1966 Satellite.  They both need work and someday she hopes to get them back on the road.

Just true story from Seward Kansas as it was told to me.

Dennis C.