Re: Late model 318 into 65 barracuda

Hi Roderek,
I don't believe the OD section of a A-500 transmission will fit in your tunnel. I recently added a Gear Vendors OD to my 1966 Belvedere and had to rebuild the tunnel.It wasn't too much work if you have a cutoff wheel for your small side grinder and a mig welder. I went to a sheetmetal shop and they rolled me a 9" diameter "U" shape with extra long "legs". I traced the 9" width on the floor and cut out enough length for clearance. Next fit the new tunnel down into the hole you cut until sufficient vertical clearance is obtained and scribe the contour of the bottom of the floor on the "legs". Cut on the lines. At this point I cut 3" long slots at the points of the remaining original tunnel where the top curves into the verticle sides. The cuts allow you to hammer up the original tunnel to meet the shape of the new piece. I filled the resulting wedge shaped openings with sheetmetal and welded everything up. You could do this on each end of the new tunnel piece if necessary. I used a horseshoe shaped vertical filler on my front because it was hidden from view (cheating?)! I spent most of a week after work to complete the project and I'm pleased with the results.
Mike LeFevre