Re: back presswure

It's good to see that "You need backpressure" myth finally start to
die. Thankfully, the folks on the GM forum helped put it to rest:

"...'you need backpressure to make power'. This is not true. What is
needed is velocity. This is where we get back to pipe size. Often a
smaller system will make more power than a larger system as the
exhaust leaving is kept at very high velocity in the smaller pipe.
This is what creates the very important scavenging. If the pipe size
is increased the flow slows down & power is lost whether in the
primary tube of a header, or the exhaust system behind the header or
manifold. As seen above, increasing a pipe by 40% will make a HUGE
difference in velocity & scavenging. With most cars being operated 90%
of the time in the under 4000 rpm range it is better to err on the
side of smaller instead of bigger."

I think it's important to note that velocity is maintained in a
properly sized exhaust system because the exhaust charge isn't allowed
to cool much before it exits the pipe. The reason an exhaust system
that is too large hurts velocity is that the charge cools and
contracts, which slows it down, which causes a "train wreck" of a sort
with the exhaust pulses, which simply kills the scavenging effect.
Explained like this years ago, it made more sense to me than simply
saying a large exhaust slows down the exhaust charge. Maybe I just
need to know things in too much detail. hehe

Of course, scavenging is also a product of the exhaust pulses being
placed in the exhaust system at the right time and place, which is due
to a header/manifold being made properly, according to cam specs and
so forth....

--
~S~
'64 Chrysler 300, AKA: "Leon", 383, push-button 727, 8 3/4"