Re: Scored a 413!

Jay,
Sounds like fun. I just finished a 302 Ford for my cousins husband-building motors is very entertaining!
Mike LeFevre

On Nov 25, 2011, Jay <shelby_nut@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So since I'm planning on pulling the 383 out of my 64 Windsor this winter for an overhaul (needs fresh heads, want to go through it to see what I've got, and have a nice TCI Torque Converter to go in) I decided to look around for a 400 for maybe a stroker build, a 440, or, ideally, a 413 to be somewhat correct since I'm making a 300 (non letter) clone with my Windsor....what do I find the first night I look on kijiji?

A 1964 complete, all original 413!  Price was right, so went and checked it out, turns over freely, was running before being pulled from an imperial.

It appears to be a bone stock 10:1 340HP motor, all there except for the carb. Lots of play in the timing chain and valve seals toast, but for a couple hundred bucks I grabbed it.

It has the small port 516 heads, but I have a nicely ported set of 516's with the bigger exhaust valves so those are definately going on.

Going to go basically with a stock rebuild but with the ported heads, new dual roller timing chain, new oil pump,  new rings, light hone, fresh bearings, seals, etc, maybe a mild cam upgrade, my comp roller rockers and holley 750 off the 383, if I can get close to 400hp I'll be happy.

I also must throw in how incredibly versitile those Dodge Caravans are. Took out the seats, the guy with the engine had a hoist, rolled it right in the back and set it down on a wooden stand. When I got home...no hoist...but I do have a chainfall off a beam in the garage...with the design of the Caravan the top of the side door is about 12" narrower than the floor, I was able to single handedly slide the engine on its stand out the side door to the point that it was about to tip out, slide the chainfall over, hook it and lift it and roll it right out the side door without the chain even coming close to hitting the roof. Gotta love them Caravans!

Looking forward to this winter project!

Jay