Re: Rear Main trick

Interesting,

The seal is not that big, it is not a rope seal.  I have had good luck
just pushing on one end of it and getting it to start moving, you can
then grab the end and rotate  it around the shaft then just lifting it
off.

The bigger issue is what style of seal you use to replace it.  I have
found 3 different ones:

There are still some of the original seals out there with the fiber
side gibs.  If you follow the instructions they will work.

There is one that does not use side gibs, you force a silicone RTV
like stuff between the seal retainer and the block then push in a pipe
cleaner looking thing that has been soaked in water.  Water cures
RTV.  I have had very bad luck with this seal, it may work for others.

There is a seal with red rubber gibs that has worked for me.

Good luck.

Dennis C.