Hemi Mopar Performance mini starter #P5007860AB

Hemi Mopar Performance mini starter #P5007860AB

I tried a RobbMc mini starter, and after checking gear engagement into the flywheel, I found it had 75% gear engagement, so I had to return it for a refund. I just bought a Mopar Performance Hemi starter P5007860AB. to replace that RobbMc mini starter , and had problems mounting it. The starter is sold as fitting all RB and Hemi blocks. There is an adapter on the starter that moves the terminal posts 90 degrees, away from the engine block. The only problem is that the adapter interfered with a freeze plug boss on that side of the block, preventing the starter from bolting up. The snout of the starter would not fit into the locating hole in the back side of the bell housing. The starter was pushed away at the rear from the engine block. It was either return the starter, or try modifying the adapter so it would clear the freeze plug boss on the block. I really hated trying that, as it would either fit, or it wouldn't, and if it didn't fit, the adapter would be altered enough that I couldn't return it. I used a Metabo cut off saw to trim the corner of the insulated adapter at the 90 degree bend, probably 1/4" to 3/8 " removed. That ended up not being enough, so I re-drilled a small hole in the mounting tab in the adapter where the ignition wire bolts to, so I could rotate that adapter even more from the block. After working most of the day trying, and fitting for clearance, I was able to trim and rotate the adapter enough to clear, making the starter mount.Since I trimmed away the adapter, besides removing excess metal inside the plastic insulated adapter, I also removed some of the hard plastic insulator on the outside of the area trimmed.
I ended wrapping it all in electrical tape.
I was looking for an American made mini starter, and the Mopar Performance is made in the USA. I'm not at all crazy of the mods I had to make to enable the starter to bolt up though. I have the same starter ( not sure if it carries the same part number though) on my 63 Polara 440 cu.in. car, and I didn't have the same problem. I'd love to pass this info on to the folks at Mopar, but I'm relatively sure that I f I did, they'd thank me, and move on to eating their lunch, etc. So I'm going to pass it on to the group. Just in case someone is also considering one of these starters.

  Jimmy