Sent: Monday, August 22, 2011 10:59 AM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Random Bad Thoughts

I will admit, I have toyed with the idea of pulling out the drive
train in my car and putting in a Mercedes Diesel and running it on
Waste Vegetable Oil (I've converted cars, and drove them for years)
Part of me wants the fast, zoom-zoom car and the other part of me
wants the best MPG damn the power loss.  I know where I can get the
donor Mercedes to play with.  It could be fun.  It should get close to
30mpg, and still spin the tires as a 1962 Newport is about 2000 pounds
lighter than the Mercedes.

I have also checked on converting the car to an EV (Electric Vehicle)
I like the idea of making it like a train...a diesel or gas motor
running a generator to power the electric motors one at each rear
wheel.  I can't seem to find enough information without talking to
others that know more than I do.  Something I will do, talk about it
to others....I don't know if I will do it or not.

I almost bought a wrecked Toyota Prius with a half baked idea
installing it in my 1962 Chrysler.  The price was good, but I didn't
buy it as I'm not sure what to do with it.  But an EV "kit" can be
bought for 1/2 the price of a new motor for my Chrysler, of course the
batteries would take up the other half.  The weight difference it
would add about 1000 pounds to the car.  I have checked into this set
up as it would be fun to do.

I know that if I do any of these conversions my car would be a
laughing stock at a car show...but I always have been a bit of a
geek...Hmmmmm.

--
Eric
Tacoma, WA