Re: Welcome New Member - 1965 A990 Dodge

Re: Welcome New Member - 1965 A990 Dodge

Hi Gary, My name is Don Miller and I was a member a few years ago as
A990clone up here in Canada!
I remember fellow Canadian Don Dulmage, Rick Rice in North Carolina
and all the other great Motards that would give so much of their time
and resources.  I even sent a member the A990 pattern to cut out his
hood for the crossram which I never did get back, but not a big deal!
I have since been involved in 2 WO1 cars at some capacity or another,
I hear one now resides in a museum or collection in Bakersfield
California and the other is Thunder II up here in Fort Erie Ont.  The
car has been owned by Hap Gooder since 1973, he raced it for a couple
of years and than parked it in his garage around 1975.
He contacted me out of the blue in 2004 for parts, since I travelled
that part of the Province for work I met with him and saw the car for
the first time in it's later stages of restoration.  He had been at it
for 16 years!  Needless to say these cars were worked hard in the day
and the task was a tough one.  I was able to hook him up with a
factory lightweight hood and some other stuff I & other people I know
had.

>From that point on I was a part of the team and debuted the Car at the
All Hemi Reunion in Salem Ohio 2008, The original owner Jim Almeter
joined us, as well as his buddy's from Attica NY who crewed on the car
back in 65-66.
Since than we have won numerous awards at car shows which include
Performance World Toronto, Cobo Hall Detroit, Buffalo Motorama etc.
It has been a pleasure to have met so many interesting people along
the journey with the car & tell the story to so many.
The car was sold by Jim in June of 67 to Jerry Vanick of Toronto and
painted red with 1/4 mile hustler on the side, it is more famous as
that car than it ever was as Thunder, but we did the car the way it
appeared at the US Nationals in 65!
I am now selling my 65 project on ebay, including magnesium crossram
and all the good stuff you need for such a project. I will add it to
your swap meet.

I have fulfilled my Mopar dreams and changed directions towards a 1957
Shepherd boat for the cottage.  I just wanted to touch base with you
guy's and say thanks for everything!
I have some great pics with stories I can send from time to time.
Where do I send them?
By the way great job with the sight!  I have not been on in 8 or 9
years & use to know everything in here!

Cheers,
Don Miller
Barrie Ontario