Autozone or Advance auto parts carry Plastikote engine paints for 5 or 6 bucks a can and it don't take forever to dry or over spray everything like the Mopar paint does.
If you want a REALLY good soap to clean with....get Wesleys Bleach White.
http://www.plastikote.com/products/Specialty/Engine-Enamel.html

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Stephen Andrachek <s.andrachek@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I just said to h**l with a certain tradition since the car wasn't original anyway.  I said I'm painting the engine black with hi-temp. engine paint.  The intake too.  Gloss Black on the block and Semi-gloss on the intake.  Then, when the paint dried, I lightly sanded the code numbers on the heads and intake and they show up silver on black and stick to the theme of mostly black and silver with a little red thrown in for good measure.

The older paint gets, the quicker it fades.  Even in a few years you would be able to tell the difference betweeen on painted that spring (in the summer) to one painted two years ago.  There is the factor of heat or no heat too.  It will look its best before you ever start it.  Then it will smoke and any slight amount of any kind of grease, oil, lube of any kind (the motor man made no effort to clean my motor before he started the engine cold with no water in it for the first time)  will get soot on your paint and the paint will already be different depending on how much "stuff" is left on the engine paint.  The engine will smoke a lot, a little, or anywhere in-between.  If it is not cleaned at all the correct answer will be a lot.  Notice I didn't say "might be".  There's a reason for that.  I learned the hard way.

The more you drive your car, or the motor is started at least to warm-up temp. the more the paint color will change.  It will vary with the brand and even the batch in some cases but like has been said already, who is going to look at an engine so close that the Mopar color is the exact same shade of the engines  that left the factory in an EXACT color.  I think in this case close is close enough and perfect is better but you can make it anyway you want and make yourself happy.

The old motor smoked too, but it was wiped off as good as we could before because some of the guys there had seen it.  But it was 40 years later (on my birthday yet) and the engine was finally going to run and have the heads retorqued and dyno'd and put back into the car.  I was too excited to think straight.  I remember now.  Maybe its the s**I'M smoking.  Just kidding.

Chick
----- Original Message -----
From: Jacob Fox
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2011 5:37 PM
Subject: Re: Paint

Haha! I wasn't complaining about price. If it's good I'll pay the price...get what you pay for (sometimes). I only ever used VHT black on headers, but that color green looks darker than what's on the motor from the factory. If that's the color I remember looking at...I looked at so many now I don't remember. I went ahead and bought 2 cans of Mopar paint so it can be close..

Sent from my iPhone