Re: Disc brakes and front brakes on the rear?... a couple questions (rep

Re: Disc brakes and front brakes on the rear?... a couple questions (repost)

The first part sounds reasonable, but not the second part,,,,,, the offset of the backing plate is directly proportional to the width of the shoes, so,,,,, the front drums if a different size  than the rear will not work

In a message dated 6/27/2011 10:39:53 P.M. Central Daylight Time, 62to65mopar@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I am reposting this mail for Scott. He sent it to the wrong address. (Before the current thread on brakes.)

>  So, I've been really considering a front disc brake swap on my '64 300
>  lately. However, I've been reading that some brake designs were not so
>  great and should be left for those folks who must insist upon
>  concourse-correct stuff. I'm told '73-'89 B-F-M-J-R body
>  spindles/discs will work bolt onto my car, and that I should use 1978+
>  plastic reservoir unit and matching booster from the car that gave up
>  its brakes. Does anyone disagree with any of that?

>  Also, I'm wondering if, once I get the discs installed on the front,
>  is there any reason I can't use the brake mechanisms and drums from
>  the front on the back, while using the backing plates from the rear?
>  In other words, using the backing plates from the rears, and the
>  emergency brake mechanism, can one make the front brakes work in the
>  rear? Other than the fact that the front brakes are an inch wider, and
>  the rears have emergency brake parts, is there any difference between
>  the fronts and rears? At least at first glance, it looks like there is
>  not. I feel that it wouldn't be a bad thing to have larger brakes,
>  even in the back...

>  Thanks,
>  ~S~

Please address private mail -- mail of interest to only one person -- directly to that person. That is, send parts/car transactions and negotiations as well as other personal messages only to the intended recipient, not to the Clubhouse public address. This practice will protect your privacy, reduce the total volume of mail and fine tune the content signal to Mopar topic.  Thanks!