finally back to the 62 dart, finishing the cowl and plenum

finally back to the 62 dart, finishing the cowl and plenum

 Finally have returned to the 62 Dart. I had got the cowl repair done
last year and sprayed rust converter throughout the plenum to get any
rust I might have missed. I cheated. I took a small hole saw and
drilled several access ports to the plenum so this can never happen
again.They will be plugged with plastic body plugs. I also cut a 4
inch by 1.5 inch "door" on the cowl at the far left corner ( drivers
side), behind the fender. Once the fenders bolted on you will never
see it. This is the spot where  all the trouble begins. The point
behind all this butchery is to have a 100% garden-hose-outable plenum
so this nightnmare never begins again. That and never park the car
outside under a tree!! These ports were also handy for getting the
rust converter blown all around. It was crazy. I took an oil pump can,
filled it with converter, and just started squirting everywhere I
could. then with compressed air, I just started blowing, alternating
back and forth between converter and  compressed air, creating a mini
rust-converter hurricane in there to get it everywhere. the access
holes allowed different angles of attack. I let this all dry and then
attacked with 1/2 quart of white acrylic enamel,using a halogen light
to warm the area from under the dash, between coats. I literally
enbalmed the whole inside of that plenum. I mean the paint in there
has to be 1/8 thick by the time I finished. That's it, its about the
best I can do short of jumping in the human shrinker machine and
climbing in there. LOL.
  Now its on to shooting the engine compartment with white and
dropping in my all new 425 horse 440 thats been sitting there on the
floor looking at me for the last year. Maybe this thing might see the
road by labor day.
   Now that this projects rolling again I will start posting progress
pics. If you want to add them to my page on this car Gary that's fine
with me.
  Neal ZImmerman, Eugene Oregon