Re: charging issues

Don, when he changed the diode he basically made your alternator a higher
amp / output alternator.  The fix Dave needs is a solid state voltage
regulator, I used a Auto Zone VR706 and exchanged the cover from the old
mechanical one to the new VR keeping the stock look.  All the parts stores
sell solid state VRs any more.  Also Dave check that the connections at the
volt meter on your dash are tight & clean.  Check the ignition wire coming
through the bulkhead connector that it is clean and not overheating.
Upgrading to a 60amp alternator will be ok but it sounds as if you don't
need to, your currant voltage regulator is just getting weak and can't keep
up at idle.

 Herb

1956 Plymouth Belvedere 361
1959 Coronet 326 Poly