'62 Steering Pump Reservoir Leak - FIXED!

'62 Steering Pump Reservoir Leak - FIXED!

I had a leaky steering pump reservoir on my 1962 Chrysler Newport wagon, so in December I replaced the O-ring for the reservoir.  I made sure the sealing surfaces were clean and had no problems, but now the leak was even worse!  Probably a quart of fluid dumped on my clean garage floor after sitting for a month.

So I ordered another new O-ring, hoping maybe I had the wrong one before (maybe to skinny of a cross-section?), but the new one was identical, measuring .135" thick.  Once again, all surfaces looked perfect, and it fit snug like before, but I knew it was going to leak again....and it did, just while sitting on the bench.

So I found a good stainless steel band clamp, narrow enough to fit between the reservoir lip and the filler neck, and tightened it down good and tight.  After driving and sitting for two days now, everything is BONE DRY.  Yahoo!

Here's a picture of the clamp installation:
http://www.trettinphoto.com/FM/1962-PumpClamp.jpg

I hope this helps someone.

Mike Trettin
1962 Chrysler Newport 9-pass. wagon