
Re: Fw: LONG RAM MANIFOLDS
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Fw: LONG RAM MANIFOLDS
- From: William Lewis <reatawhippets@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 21:33:40 -0600
I had two buddies in the 1960-61 SF Bay Area, one had a '59 Sport Fury with
361 single 4bbl Golden Commando and another with a 4dr hardtop '60 Dart with
383 long ram 2 X 4bbl. They raced at Half Moon Bay and Cotati Drag Strips
and though they ran in different classes (Sport Fury NSA and Dart SSA), the
Long Ram Dart could never sport an ET (nor the Trophies) of the GC '59 Sport
Fury. You probably needed Bonneville to get the benefits of those Long Ram
manifolds. Sure looked awesome, though.
Jack Lewis
56 Plymouth Fury
62 Dodge Polara 500
http://home.att.net/~furyjack/wsb/index.html
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jimmy Peavy" <peaver63@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2009 11:13 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: LONG RAM MANIFOLDS
You are right that they weren't used for drag racing.
I might add that they weren't used successfully for drag racing, but I'm
sure a few were tried, and used.
I think it would probably be more accurate statement to say that most were
used on the street.
I remember watching the CBS evening news and seeing a news item on the
long rams, when they were introduced.
They were so unusual that Walter Cronkite couldn't pass on mentioning
their introduction.
They were used to provide massive amounts of torque to the heavy Chrysler
cars, and Plymouths, Dodges in the late 50's and early 60's.
Some may have been used at Bonneville, but I'm not sure that they were
successful.
Most of the talk in the days of Bonneville at that time was centered
around stream liners like Challenger I and II.
I can't remember much written about the stock bodied cars in those days.
There weren't many magazines in those days, other that Hot Rod, Car Craft,
etc.
Most of that coverage was about customs, and drag cars.
Jimmy
Rich Kinsley wrote:
I know what you mean. The shorter ones were higher rpm's I think but I'm
positive the long ones were used on the Bonneville cars and not on drag
racing. I can find pictures I'm sure in my myriads of old magazines.
Rich Kinsley
=====================================================================
Jimmy Peavy wrote:
I thought they were for low end torque?
That by 4500 rpm it was all over on power gains.
I don't think that would be useful in a salt racer application.
Jimmy
Rich Kinsley wrote:
As far as drag racing goes, I'm sure nobody used the long ram. They
were
for top end like Bonneville. Norm Thatcher used them I believe on many
early 60's Mopars and set quite a few records. The old Hot Rod magazine
special, '60 Plymouth?, used them too I believe. The short ram was the
right stuff for dragging. I was talking to an old Timer who said he was
a factory racer in the day and he made his own manifold at the perfect
length, 19" or 20"?, runners. Then he said they built them that way
after his. I was talking to this guy here in Omaha at a car show about
3
years ago. Take it for what it's worth.?
Rich Kinsley '64 Dodge Polara 4dr 318poly w/goodies
Rich Kinsley '64 Dodge Polara 4dr 318poly w/goodies
----
Please address private mail -- mail of interest to only one person --
directly to that person. I.e., send parts/car transactions and
negotiations as well as other personal messages only to the intended
recipient, not to the Clubhouse public address. This practice will
protect your privacy, reduce the total volume of mail and fine tune the
content signal to Mopar topic. Thanks!
'62 to '65 Mopar Clubhouse Discussion Guidelines:
http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/mletiq.html.
----
Please address private mail -- mail of interest to only one person --
directly to that person. I.e., send parts/car transactions and
negotiations as well as other personal messages only to the intended
recipient, not to the Clubhouse public address. This practice will protect
your privacy, reduce the total volume of mail and fine tune the content
signal to Mopar topic. Thanks!
'62 to '65 Mopar Clubhouse Discussion Guidelines:
----
Please address private mail -- mail of interest to only one person -- directly to that person. I.e., send parts/car transactions and negotiations as well as other personal messages only to the intended recipient, not to the Clubhouse public address. This practice will protect your privacy, reduce the total volume of mail and fine tune the content signal to Mopar topic. Thanks!
'62 to '65 Mopar Clubhouse Discussion Guidelines:
http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/mletiq.html.
Back to the Home of the Forward Look Network