Re: Battle of the DOTs

I stand corrected on availability, I have not seen it around here on the
shelves then again I was not looking for it, but their are a lot of things
done differently here in St. Louis.  Interesting article but I have had a
very different first hand experience than he described.  Bottom line if your
comfortable using it go ahead, I use dot 4 and change it every 30,000 miles
or so along with transmission fluid.  I have never had a bad master / wheel
cylinder or caliper and I just got rid of a 85 Caravan that had over 400,000
on it with the original brake hydraulic parts, shoes and pads are a
completely different story.  And by the way original trany but it was
starting to slip slightly on cold mornings before it warmed up.  I can only
relate to what I have found on our fleet of vehicles that number in the
thousands.  We have had just too many problems from commingling of fluids.
The one point he made in his article that confuses me and I am very
skeptical about is his reference to a Dow-Corning's study of haphazardly
changing fluid.  If it was done it probably passed the same day they did the
change but I bet they did not retest about 6 months later when they had a
system full of sludge.  The transformation to sludge is a slow process and
does not happen overnight.  We used Dow-Corning DOT 5 and were given very
explicit instructions by them as to the pit falls of haphazardly replacing
and possible commingling the fluids and how we were to exercise do-diligent
s to verify that all the residual fluid was removed by bleeding until it ran
clearly the color they were supplying at the time mostly purple.  Also we
were given bright yellow caution labels suppled by Dow-Corning to be affixed
to every converted vehicle in the fleet cautioning that it had DOT 5 fluid
and never mix with any other fluid.  Again do as you are comfortable with,
all I know is I will never commingle the fluids in my car.  Also their is
nothing wrong with using DOT 5 I just don't drive my car in a way to justify
it or is it exposed to the weather extremes DOT 5 was designed for.

 Herb

1959 Coronet 326 Poly
1963 Fury 2D/HT 6.1
1963 Sport Fury Convertible 361
1970 Challenger RT 440
1999 Durango SLT 5.9
2006 300-C Heritage 5.7
2008 SRT-8 Magnum 6.1
St. Louis, MO.

Everything will be OKay in the end - if it's not Okay, it's not the end :).