RE: Brake Fluid Dot 3 ?

You're absoutly right "I seriously doubt you are going to drive your
classic MoPar like a Trans Am racer and generate that kind or heat" the
body lean is too much ;)

I don't know when the fluid was changed, but I suspect the previous
owner didn't bleed the brakes when he had installed a new brake booster
(just before I bought the car).

The brakes work, but it's awfully soft, until you get the pedal to close
to the floor.. no metal sounds, grabbing,or pulling, just a lot of pedal
travel. since the MC looks full I figured I'd try bleeding the brakes
(maybe some air when the booster was installed?)

Herb wrote:

> Clear is good!!  Means your in the clear!  Use DOT 4 to replace old
> fluid
> because it is compatible and higher quality.  Yes bleed them through
> till
> you get new fluid out of the wheel cylinders and fill MC to 1/4 inch
> from it
> s top and your done.  Your probably asking why so much bleeding?
> Technically you should change your brake & Transmission fluid every
> 30,000
> miles but hardly any one does.  Out of sight out of mind until something
> goes wrong.  Dot 3 & 4 fluid will absorb moisture and as time goes on it
> absorbs more & more eventually corroding the brake lines from the inside
> out
>   That is when every one complains that MoPar has crap for brake lines
>   when
> it's the owners fault because he has 40 or 50 year old fluid in the
> system.
> Nuf Said?
>
> Dot 5 I will keep it short but I can give you the long version if any
> body
> wants to know.  DOT 5 Is Absolutely "Not" Compatible With DOT 3 OR
> 4!!!!!,
> unless you want mud!  Yes you can convert over but once their, no coming
> back unless you replace the system MC, WCs Rubber hoses etc etc.!  The
> argument is DOT 5 will not absorb moisture, True!  will not fail under
> high
> heat, True!  Ok the moisture issue, no matter what, your going to get
> moisture in the system were does it go?  DOT 5 is lighter than water so
> the
> moisture goes to the bottom and cant be bleed out unless you turn your
> calipers and wheel cylinders over and bleed from the bottom.  That is
> why
> they rust and wear out the rubber parts in them over time.  DOT 3 & 4
> can
> handle more moisture than DOT 5 with out any adverse affects.  Heat, I
> seriously doubt you are going to drive your classic MoPar like a Trans
> Am
> racer and generate that kind or heat that DOT 3 or 4 will fail even in
> stop
> and go traffic unless something else is wrong and the DOT 5 will only be
> covering up the problem.  Bottom line on our cars the end just doesn't
> justify expense and potential aggravation.  The only reason I can think
> of
> to use DOT 5 is if your in Extreme weather conditions, already causing
> brake
> problems.
>

>  Herb
>
> 1959 Coronet 326 Poly
> [...]