Re: Brake Fluid Dot 3 ?

Dot 5 IS NOT COMPATIABLE!!  I have cleaned to many systems out from
commingling DOT 3 and 5 it just turns to mud and the pedal gets hard.  DOT 5
1 is supposed to be compatible not 5!!  Using DOT 5 you can bleed DOT 3 or 4
out completely and be OK, but once converted you can never bleed DOT 5 out
because the silicone adheres to all the rubber parts and never goes away.
The only resolution is replace any and all parts that contain rubber.  Then
and only then is when you purge the lines with denatured alcohol when the
system is apart and then blow the lines out with air to evaporate the
alcohol.   Also when you flush your system out with any thing other than
brake fluid especially alcohol based your going to damage the rubber parts
ultimately damaging them to failure.  Remember E85 will run in your car but
will kill the rubber parts and gaskets in your fuel system.  Same basic idea

 Herb

1959 Coronet 326 Poly
1963 Fury 2D/HT 6.1
1963 Sport Fury Convertible 361