Re: Fw: Re: Fw: RE: Hemi vs. Max Wedge

I have to chime in here on this subject. I have a Max Wedge clone 64
Plymouth I take to car shows all summer long. Only difference is I have
Holley carbs on mine versus the Carters that came on them. My car idles
at about a 1000 RPM and when you jump on it, "hang on to your ass"
because it sh*ts and gits with no bog, hesitation or anything of the
kind. Of course I have 493 cubes with lots of torque that helps. And the
hydraulic cam I'm running is the biggest Racer Brown makes at .560 lift
and with the 1.6 rockers, I'm at .597 lift. I have had almost no problem
with the carbs at all. Once last summer I had a problem with it not
idling right. Come to find out, the float level was too high and it was
flooding out some. I corrected that and now it's fine. I don't have to
tune on it constantly as some of you have mentioned. Maybe it's the fact
I'm running Holley carbs. Actually, I have the Proform bodies with the
Holley float bowls, that are 750 CFM each. Only problem with the cross
ram is you have to stagger the jetting, which is a pain to adjust. I
think I'm in the ballpark with mine without dynoing the motor.
I also had a factory 65 Dodge with the Hemi in it, one of 100 made back
in the 60's. I didn't drive it on the street as it was a "race only"
car. I didn't have any trouble with the carbs on it either as they also
were Holleys.

My .02
Bill C.
On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 09:42:26 -0400, "Steve Chervinsky"
<63hemipolara@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> ${top_text_ad}
> I have a crate 472 in my '63 Polara. It's a single 4 bbl. Former
> Ramcharger driver and Chrysler engine development engineer Mike Buckel
> picked my car as best of show at Carlisle last year. As we were
> talking about my car I said the only thing missing is the cross ram
> intake. His response, "Now why would you want to do that, more carbs =
> more problems."
>
> He told me storied of the cross rams and how they were a pain on the
> street.
>
> Many people swear by them. A buddy of mine has a 426 in his 64 Fury
> and it had the step linkage with the 2X4 set up. With this set up it
> can be adjusted so that at cruising speed you are only on 2 bbls. He
> matched my 19mpg with my 6 pack 340 Cuda all the way to Carlisle (1200
> mile round trip).
>
> My 440 six pack Super Bee with 625HP was DIALED IN and gave me 17mpg
> at 2800rpm on the highway.
>
> My current hemi set up is EXTREMELY drivable. It does not give near
> 20mpg, but cruising at 65mph it will do 14 NO PROBLEM.
>
> It's a preference choice, and also how much you like to tinker. It
> took a couple of months to dial in my six packs, but when they were,
> nothing sweeter!

  William Cole
  wedge64@xxxxxxxxxxx

----