Re: Rubber pad under fuel line?

I think what you've found is a drain flap. There are two of them mounted on the '65s and I assume it is the same for your '63. They are the same part for both flaps.

There is one on the passenger side of the firewall in the engine compartment. The other one is behind the fender in the wheel well area in front of the passenger door. You need to remove the rear splash shield to get at it from the wheel well. You should be able to see the hole (but I doubt you can work on it) in front of the door about a foot in from and maybe a little lower than the upper door hinger.

Akron Don

Jim Altemose wrote:
While changing the fuel line on my '63 Polara 500 (replacing 5/16 with
3/8), there's a tricky little spot up in the front wheel well.  While
pulling out the old line, some junk fell out that included a thin oval
rubber pad about 3 inches by 1 1/2 inches.  Also, a wad of black
'putty' that I think was more purposeful than grease and grime.  I'm
figuring this pad goes under the fuel line against the frame to
prevent rattling?  Did the putty wad hold it in place, or is that
something else?  Any advice on how to put this back together
correctly?

As always, thanks.

- Jim
Jim Altemose, Long Island, NY