Rubber pad under fuel line?

While changing the fuel line on my '63 Polara 500 (replacing 5/16 with
3/8), there's a tricky little spot up in the front wheel well.  While
pulling out the old line, some junk fell out that included a thin oval
rubber pad about 3 inches by 1 1/2 inches.  Also, a wad of black
'putty' that I think was more purposeful than grease and grime.  I'm
figuring this pad goes under the fuel line against the frame to
prevent rattling?  Did the putty wad hold it in place, or is that
something else?  Any advice on how to put this back together
correctly?

As always, thanks.

- Jim
Jim Altemose, Long Island, NY