"on the road again, ----"

After talking about the 63 i got cranked and finshed the 355 install in the difff. I needed the 391s for the senior dragster. The 355s were in a box of junk I rescued on its way to the scrap heap. The gears were good but bearings were toast. The cone  type posi  was BEAT. I machined the cones and end facings in my little tiny harbour freight lathe. The posi spider shaft had spun in the case too so I searched around and tried the spiders and shaft from my original 63 open diff. I discovered the shaft size was perfect  to recover the damaged case. I had t oshorten it a bit though. The spiders despite their difference appearance would also work since the posi's ones were all badly chipped around the centre. With the extra distancegained trying to save the cones is fit perfect. I could hardly believe it.  I had to back drill the sheered off pin  and then set it up in the drill press and drilled the case using the new spider shaft as a guide for a full long pin like the open diffs.  I used the old roll pin from the open diff.
As i eluded before I had to recover the crush sleeve and did get new  bearings for the deal. and a new seal. After about two weeks of work, a bit here and a bit there ,I got it all fitting good. Pattern came up perfect with decent backlash .(006") so finally i put it in a buttoned it up. Mrs D helped  bleed the brakes  since with the old tapered axles I just pull backing plates and all with the axle. Works good.
Everything is now as it should be and it works nice and smooth and no noises. I am happy . I took Mrs D out for a treat and back . Feels good to be mobile again. Must be spring!
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)