Restoring Anodized aluminum finishes

The side trim on my 64 Plymouth Sport Fury is anodized aluminum with
circular machining marks on it. I need to restore the trim pieces as a
Previous owner buffed some of it down beyond the finish. From what I've
learned, if I strip the finish with a product like BLUE LIGHTNING, it will
take the finish down to bare metal. I have a spare (junk) piece of side trim
to practice on and what I'm going to try is to restore the polished-in
machine marks on the trim using my drill press. What I'd like to know from
you all is, have any of you done this? Tips, hints, ideas? I'd appreciate
anything you all can contribute. I know that some of you are machinists and
may be able to tell me how to do this. I did it once in high school auto
shop a LONG time ago, but don't remember the process. What do I use in the
way of a tool and polish, to start with.

I've been told that I can buy some Chevy Corvette tape to inlay into the
trim, but that idea really does not appeal to me.

Thanks! /Butch /Ferndale, WA

----